Choosing dark-leaved perennials

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have any dark-leaved perennials that hold their color well into the summer?

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

How about some of the Heucheras?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

There's a couple of dark leaved sedums. I have one called 'Mochren' that hasn't bloomed yet but the foliage is a dark burgundy.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom just bought me a dark-leaved gaura plant with deep pink blooms. It is compact, only growing 18" tall or so, and it flowers for a long period of time, too. I need to look at the tag to tell you the cultivar, but it is a gaura.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi gardenwife, I am interested in the name, too. Sounds like just what the garden doctor ordered.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 31st 8:21 AM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kimberly is this the gaura, u're Mom has ... http://www.npsc.nbs.gov/resource/literatr/wildflwr/species/gaurcocc.htm ? interesting plant ;)!

Or is it this one?

http://www.icangarden.com/NewEden/images/GauraPPGarden1.JPG

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the dark colored plants. Chocolate JoePye Weed and Hillside Black Beauty[Black Snakeroot].

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Geranium pratense 'Victot Reiter'

and it's seedlings 'Purple Heron' and 'Purple Haze'

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

How about a persian shield? I love the dark coloring of that plant.

Thanks, all!

Geranium pratense 'Midnight Reiter' is very dark and keeps its color well. Maybe I should say what plants I have in my garden that DO keep their dark color well.

Lobelia splendens, Oxalis triangularis, Betula 'Crimson Frost', Heuchera 'Plum Pudding', and a Heucherella (forgot its name) and a dark-leaved sedum.

Cimicifuga 'Hillside Black Beauty' is slightly fading, a beautiful dark blush over green right now. I wonder if C. racemosa 'Brunette' stays darker...?? Anyone have one??

And Lychis cognata DJH 97126 has dark fuzzy leaves, but not very dark, kind of dark and green combo, but very interesting nevertheless. Eupatorium 'Chocolate' is fading as well.

I have dark flowers in there as well. Geranium phaem, and G. phaem 'Samobor', chocolate cosmos, some dark violas and columbines, dark mums. The geraniums have an extremely long bloom time. The cosmos have been in bloom now for about a month.

Rochester, NH(Zone 5a)

My favorite dark leaf plant this year is hibiscus 'Copper King.'

Eaton, IN(Zone 5a)

Another plant to add to your list of dark-leaved perennials
is penstemon-huskers red. The leaves are maroon, very hardy and the humming birds love it!

Thanks! I have 'Husker's Red'. The leaves are green right now.

Joan,

Is the persian shield a hardy perennial? I have seen pictures.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i am sending you a dark burgundy tall sedum! so add that one!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

evelyn, I don't know if it would be hardy for you or not. It's a tropical I believe. I just got mine this spring, and I potted it in a huge pot so I can haul it inside for the winter, then back outside in the summer. I'm finding that it does better in a little shade though. If it gets too much sun, the leaves kind of burn and lose their color. At least I think it's the sun that's doing that. Since I moved it to a little more shaded area, the leaves are much more colorful.

Thank you, NotMartha!

What would YOU like??

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry I've not replied regarding the gaura - I forgot to watch this thread *blush*. I need to look at that tag still, LOL. I'll watch this thread now, though, and I'll get that info for ya! It looks like it might be the one you linked to Evelyn - this has very deep pink blooms.

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 18th 2:45 AM

Mark,

Do you have pictures of your geraniums? Any extras?? :-)

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I just joined DG and saw this thread, I know it's late to join in but wanted to suggest a very pretty dark-leaved shrub, Loropetalum chinense. It's truly a dark purple with small pink fringe-like flowers. Mine is still very small, a year old and it's only 3' wide and 1' high. It gets morning shade, and I don't water it very much, maybe twice a month (it's in good soil with a cocoa hull mulch.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54320/

There's also a spectacular new salvia, I lost the tag, but it's got dark reddish-purple leaves & stems, and supposedly bright red flowers. Very distinctive!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG jkmom! That's a beautiful shrub; if we had a little more sun, it might do well here in our yard. *sniffle*

The Loropetalum is doing great! The dark evergreen (ever-purple?) leaves are right now the star of the dark side garden.

Toledo, IA(Zone 4a)

HI___dark meaning purple--just bought from territorial seed company--four thousans i think for four dollars--plant in containers or sow on ground--- amaranth purple leaf with green verigation around edge---the picture is nice --says you can sow reacurringly --probibly a cool weather edible plant -forgive me-just thought to myself-----maby- foeniculum --smokey ---aromatic darkbrown foliage----

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images