Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Morning Glories: Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 5, Views: 662
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2002
4:11 PM

Post #38262

My girlfrined just informed me the other day her moring glories looked like her Dh had wacked them down with weed wacker. Now. come to find out. Teenagers are making a "brew" of them and getting high form them. She is flipping out. Are they poisioness? Plus there is the bug stray thing. HELP
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2002
8:03 PM

Post #317006

Yes, some people use the dry seeds so make a drug that works like LSD. I saw a Finnish site where were very clear 'recipe' how to do it. Hmm...
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2002
9:26 PM

Post #317094

Mimi - the plant plant contains some alkaloids but most of the drug is in the seeds. It takes A LOT of seeds to get high - like 300 or more. It's doubtful these kids really know what they are doing - but I suppose ya never know. Morning glory seeds also have a toxin in them that causes nausia. If they do manage to get high it probably won't be very pleasant.

If they're trying morning glory seeds there's probably other more dangerous plants they might try too. Datura & Brugmansia are both VERY, VERY dangerous. I guess your friend needs to find out how much these kids know. Pulling up her morning glories may not solve the problem.
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2002
9:52 PM

Post #317126

Poppysue, 20-50 seeds is enough for a light trip I read.. :/ Maybe your friend could cut off all the seedpods?
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2002
12:00 AM

Post #317236

mimi-if you're worried try this site http://www.erowid.org/index.shtml, it gives first hand accounts of people taking this stuff, and most of the stories tell how they'd never try that stuff again because they nearly died and stuff. here is a link for morning glory: http://www.erowid.org/plants/morning_glory/morning_glory.shtml and datura http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml
hope this helps put them off!
lil
Rareseedman
Birmingham
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6834649

This is an old post but we had this problem here last week where I live so I thought I would revive it, kids had ripped the pods off my morning glory and poppies so I moved my pots to the back.

Most worrying is the datura that is mentioned here.

I remember in the states years ago there was a group, the leader had brainwashed all of them and they believed every single word he had said.

He was a power hungry control freak and told them to drink a tea made from datura seeds and they drank it with great gusto and said how delicious it was and were fighting over it and all died, I think that's why it's also called Jamestown Weed (Jimson Weed) or the Jamestown massacre.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM
Lindheimer's Morning Glory Ipomoea lindheimeri Gerris2 36 Jun 13, 2009 11:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America