-
AuthorContent
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2002
10:46 PM

Post #38424

in one of the pink Salvia coccinea I got yesterday. The flowers here are about an 1.5 inches across. The stem behind the flower is another flower stalk, also 2 buds. I'll post the other unknown too.
Thanks

Thumbnail by Floridian
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2002
11:13 PM

Post #318167

i'm looking for the correct name, but i have mine labeled white ruellia.
heres a link with a similar pic, but the foliage is different. im thinking the one that i have is called snow queen. http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/04166.html
ill look further for the match
jen
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2002
12:26 AM

Post #318194

Thanks Jen, These, both unknowns, are tall slender plants, well camoflaged in the Salvia. The flowers are very similar to the Ruellia on the link but the leaf and growth habit are different.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2002
2:02 AM

Post #318264

Floridian, there is a wild variety of ruellia that looks very different than the cultivated kind, though the flowers are almost identical ~ comes in a white variety and a lavender/purple one. I think yours is Ruellia humilis, but might not be. Try doing a google image search for "wild petunia" or "wild ruellia" and I'll bet you'll find the latin name. They are wonderfully drought tolerant!!!!! If you can separate it from the salvia and keep it growing, do!

This message was edited Friday, Aug 2nd 10:03 PM
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2002
4:42 AM

Post #318397

how about this one?
http://www.cgf.net/cgi-bin/pages.pl?act=search&indexnumber=7270
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2002
4:06 PM

Post #318672

Wow Jen, That looks great, I'm sure now we have the right genus. Are most ruellia hairy? This one is smooth. Possibly R strepens aka Smooth ruellia? http://www.usi.edu/science/biology/TwinSwamps/Ruellia_strepens.htm
Aside from the color, this fits very well.
Wingnut, thanks! By the way, that new calf of yours is TOO cute! I love her little brown nose and ears! I followed your advice and Jens pics. What do you think ladies? R strepens?

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 3rd 12:09 PM
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2002
5:18 PM

Post #318701

The commonly cultivated one is smooth, but (if my memory serves me right) the wild one I have is a bit hairy. I'm not sure of the latin for the wild one I have, or any of them for that matter. The one in the link sure looks like yours!

Yep, we're pretty proud of that little baby! I wish he was a "she", but he's not. :( We can get him halfway there (*Grin!*), which is probably what we'll do with him. Seems there's a market for Longhorn steers as pasture ornaments!
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2002
9:57 PM

Post #318815

just looked at mine and the leaves are hairless..
it will remain "white ruellia", lol
sometimes the names are just too much for me : )
jen
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2002
11:14 PM

Post #318834

Hey Jen, At this point I'm settling for white ruellia too! Thanks for IDing it for me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America