Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Stumpy Blue Iris

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

A friend gave me these tiny iris last fall. She told me to watch for them in early spring because they bloom so low to the ground and they're easy to miss. The leaves are only 5" high or so, and the bloom is just about as big as them -- Guess she wasn't kidding! Can someone tell me what variety these might be?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
south central, WI(Zone 5a)

They are not the reticulata or cristata-too heavy of a bloom on the plant. In my local garden place catalog and I wish you all could visit. he lists Iris pumila (dwarf bearded iris 6-10 inches tall--if it is fragrant it may be "Smell the roses" Otherwise, it looks like my stumpy dark purple and the gold ones--maybe we should just call them stumpies lol and start a new line.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I have lots of dwarf bearded iris, which is what you have. As far as the name...well like regualar beards or day lilies there are just too many to make a guess. It is lovely though!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I got some crested iris last summer. They haven't bloomed yet this year and I don't quite remember what they flower looks like, but the foliage and description looks right. I think mine bloom smaller, but uncertain...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.