-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2001
5:26 PM

Post #4244

A friend gave me these tiny iris last fall. She told me to watch for them in early spring because they bloom so low to the ground and they're easy to miss. The leaves are only 5" high or so, and the bloom is just about as big as them -- Guess she wasn't kidding! Can someone tell me what variety these might be?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2001
5:52 PM

Post #71510

They are not the reticulata or cristata-too heavy of a bloom on the plant. In my local garden place catalog and I wish you all could visit. he lists Iris pumila (dwarf bearded iris 6-10 inches tall--if it is fragrant it may be "Smell the roses" Otherwise, it looks like my stumpy dark purple and the gold ones--maybe we should just call them stumpies lol and start a new line.
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2001
10:05 PM

Post #71549

I have lots of dwarf bearded iris, which is what you have. As far as the name...well like regualar beards or day lilies there are just too many to make a guess. It is lovely though!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2001
3:46 AM

Post #71601

I got some crested iris last summer. They haven't bloomed yet this year and I don't quite remember what they flower looks like, but the foliage and description looks right. I think mine bloom smaller, but uncertain...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America