Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Unknown flowering plant, here's the white one

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Crimson
Clarksville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2002
6:01 AM

Post #38476

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 19th 1:30 AM

Thumbnail by Crimson
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2002
9:05 AM

Post #318533

Consolida?
Baa

August 3, 2002
9:45 AM

Post #318541

Consolida or Delphinium as on the other thread
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2002
3:55 AM

Post #319021

It looks like my Larkspur, even the foilage! But that is just my opinion!!!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2002
4:02 AM

Post #319023

Yep, Larkspur, aka Delphinium ajacis and Consolida ambigua ~ they're all the same thing.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2002
4:23 AM

Post #319039

I really enjoyed mine this year(it was my first year too) and they really do seed off good I think. That is probably another one that I will always have popping up! LOL But as pretty as they are I'm sure I wont mind at all!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2002
4:29 AM

Post #319046

They do produce lots of seeds, don't they, Molly! Maybe it has something to do with the little bunny head in the center of each bloom? *Giggle!*
Baa

August 4, 2002
8:50 AM

Post #319100

No offense meant to anyone here but I'm not ruling out the sparsely flowered Delphinium species and hybrids (a couple are mentioned on the other thread) on this one because they are so very similar. For an absolutely positive ID on a plant like this it needs to be seen in the flesh.

Crimson if you want to know for sure you could always ask at your local universtity with a botany department.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2002
2:31 PM

Post #319180

None taken, Baa! :) Yes, I could be wrong! :) Lord knows I have been before. ;) But I'm purdy durn sure in this one. I've had these for years (they're a native wildflower that migrated into my garden and I love them!) and the only difference that I can see between the ones pictured and mine is the splotches on the white one's blooms. Mine may have had them and me just not noticed yet as I don't have many of the white.

A couple weeks ago, I researched these almost to death one day to figure out just what I had. After literally hours (1 3/4) of flipping back and forth between D. ajacis and C. ambigua (and pulling my hair out), I found out that they are synonyms. The above is what I came up with thanks to outside sources and our own PDB (there is one comment there about their size that gives me pause, but maybe theirs were really healthy? This reminds me to ask Terry about that.). The main tip-offs are the foliage, sparse blooms and the rabbit heads in the center of each bloom.

I agree that for an absolutely positive ID, do bring a piece to someone at a university botany dept. and ask them. If someone else does find that they're a different flower than what I'm thinking, or that the two above aren't synonyms, please let me know! I'm watching this thread, so if you just post here, I'll see it.
Crimson
Clarksville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2002
3:14 PM

Post #319198

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 19th 1:30 AM
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2002
4:58 PM

Post #319275

Chin up, Crimson! They might do better next year! :) I posted some pics on your other thread about these showing how early they sprout down here. They like it cold, so maybe you can try again a little earlier? Good luck!
Baa

August 4, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #319321

LOL Wingnut!

Crimson

The species really don't grow all that tall here either, it just depends on the garden situation, climate and sometimes their own genetics. Even the RHS book I have here lists Consolida ajacis at anywhere between 12"-48" high :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America