Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Star of Bethleham

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 484
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2001
8:53 PM

Post #4253

Does anyone know anything about a plant called Star of Bethlaham?
It looks like a green onion a bulb like root, with thin onion like leaves. It does not have a onion odor.

It is absouletly taking over a flower bed.

What is the best way to get rid of it?

Paul
dave

April 29, 2001
7:11 PM

Post #71725

Pull them up? I have millions of them here, but I think they make an attractive groundcover.

I am able to pull clumps of them up after a rain very easily.

Dave

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2001
9:50 PM

Post #71750

I agree with Dave... They have a great little star shaped white flower if they are not too crowded. I'd leave them, or maybe just thin them. Nice little woodland plant. Or, trade some??
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2001
10:00 PM

Post #71752

They go away fast as well, die down and can be planted over. I have moved, weeded out, thrown under trees - they are persistant!
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2001
3:18 AM

Post #71790

Do these happen to grow well in the shade too?? I have tons myself but all are in the full sun, I am in the process of making a full shade bed and would like to transplant some over to the new bed. Also anyone know a good site where I can find a list of shade loving plants??
Thanks for ANY help.
mollybee
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2001
11:18 AM

Post #71811

Mollybee - I think they will grow ANYWHERE! I have them all over, in sun, shade and everything in between They were apparantly a very popular plant with the family that owned this place for 100 years. They also survive if you dig them out and forget to replant them! I have some down under the cedar break that bloom late, but still bloom.
dave

April 30, 2001
11:33 AM

Post #71817

I agree with Kathleen. I have them in areas that get NO sun at all, and I have some in full sun. The ones in shade, however, seem to have greener foliage but less blooms.

On the other hand, the ones in the shade are MUCH more crowded, which may explain the fewer blooms.

Dave
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2001
12:33 PM

Post #71827

Well now I can transplant some on over to the new bed. I'm glad to know that I can use it as a filler because I have been wanting to thin out the other bed because it has so much Star of Bethlaham in it, it seems to be taking over. I like plants that you can thin out to make more!! then there is also the option to trade it off for something I don't have. I'm sure I'll be posting later about wanting to trade it off for other shade loving stuff.
thanks ya'll
mollybee
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2001
1:23 AM

Post #72167

I saw some of these in a town garden in the city when we parked our car. The sun had not reached them quite and the buds were closed. When we returned to pick up the car the sun was on them and the flowers had opened. I naturally thought they only bloomed when the sun hit them. Glad to see this is not the case because I was thinking of growing them under trees.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America