Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 16, Views: 1,847
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2002
8:21 PM

Post #38667

I took this when the garden was blooming in early summer. The drought is being very hard on it, but I water it regularly, hoping to save the plants.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2002
12:58 PM

Post #319737

Hi Buttoneer, you made a nice trough!!!!! what a delightful little garden!!! you are very creative!!! :)
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2002
1:01 PM

Post #319739

Really cute - you did a neat job on your planter too!!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2002
12:21 AM

Post #320144

Great trough! Is this the first one you have made or do you have others?
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2002
2:13 AM

Post #320219

I only have one hypertufa trough garden, although it's not for lack of trying. I attended two workshops & made two but I think they were too thick & they cracked of the winter, so I purchased this small one at a local nursery. It hasn't cracked yet, 2 winters. I wish I hadn't left the plant markers in but it was the only way to remember what was what. Maybe I'll take one without the markers but the garden certainly is different from when I took that picture. Anyway, I do want to put some miniature thingies in the garden.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2002
7:33 PM

Post #320730

Buttoneer, I went to jury duty this am and met a woman who does hypertufa. She said 3 equal parts Portland cement, perlite, and peatmoss. Tell me more or how do you do it?
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2002
9:11 PM

Post #320803

This is my formula too, do you leave them out in the winter??
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2002
2:55 AM

Post #321154

Yes, this is the formula, but you have to be careful of making them too thick & also, it helps if you put chicken wire inside while you are forming the trough. I do leave mine outdoors in the winter with no ill effects.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2002
3:08 AM

Post #321170

Buttoneer: What variety of campanula is that? It looks like spiral bellflower/fairy thimbles (Campanula cochlearifolia). They are a wonderful rock garden plant... nice trough and good selection of plants!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
10:08 AM

Post #3468101

5 years later. Weezingreens, I am sorry I never answered your question. My trough garden is now 5 years old & different plants are in it. The only plant that survived was the ornamental flowering chives upper left & literally took over, so I removed 3/4 of it and potted up the rest in the GHSE. I planted more Leptinella in it, plus some more plants, which I can't remember now. I'll take a pix & put it here so you can see how it looks in 2007. I did manage to make another trough that has lasted 2 years now. Will take pix.

This message was edited May 6, 2007 10:44 AM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #3468103

The one I made 2 yrs ago. Just took the pix this morning. Put rocks on the concrete & sprinkled crushed up brick for the red color.

This message was edited May 6, 2007 10:45 AM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #3471978

Thanks for the reply, no matter how belated it might be! LOL! Well, I'm glad to hear the troughs are holding up. I think it is difficult to keep plants in containers over the winter. Ceeads puts alpines in hers, and they seem to do well. I don't know if she moves them into the greenhouse in the winter or just tucks them under her porch. She uses local alpines, sedums, etc. I've just got to make some troughs!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3477194

Weez, they're easy to make, just messy. I am taking the Leptinella in for the winter. It has never proven hardy for me here in PA & I can put it in a little pot & winter it over in the GHSE. I finally hung out a whole bunch of hanging baskets all around the greenhouse. Lots of Epi's. One more week to go before threat of frost is over, but I was chafing at the bit.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3479767

We aren't safe from frost until the end of May here. I have one greenhouse going with heat and a tent going up that will also be heated. The old unheated greenhouse has a new skin of plastic, so I'm gearing up for the season. It seems to be slow in warming this spring... probably easier on the wintered over perennials in pots. The sudden spring hot spells followed by freezing really raise havoc.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3521437

Thought I posted this but I guess I didn't. Here's a neat addition I did to the square trough. Added river stones put on with clear caulking. Gives a whole new look to the top of the trough.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3521440

Here's another view.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2007
6:02 AM

Post #3522548

Looks great!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM
'Hypertufa' addictions running amock .................Pt.1 scooterbug 165 Mar 3, 2007 12:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America