Photo by Melody

Classic Threads: Propagation: Unusual technique (rooting in bananas)

Communities > Forums > Classic Threads
bookmark
Forum: Classic ThreadsReplies: 58, Views: 2,663
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Baa

August 7, 2002
8:15 PM

Post #39025

Flicking through the telly channels last night, I came across the very end of a gardening programme I'd long since given up watching. One of the presenters was giving instrutions on one of the most unusual propagation techniques I've heard in a long time. It involves a ripe Banana and Dianthus.

No Baa hasn't flipped her lid and it made a lot of sense.

Take one very yellow (no brown bits but ripe) banana fruit and place it on it's side.

Using a cocktail stick, poke 3 holes at equal intervals along the side of the banana

Take 3 Dianthus pipings (cuttings made by cutting a non flowering leaf stem from the plant) and remove the bottom few leaves

Push each individual piping into each individual hole made by a cocktail stick.

Place in a well lit place but not full sun.

When the banana goes brown, cut it into 3 equal parts so you have a Dianthus cutting per banana slice.

Pot each banana/Dianthus slice into individual pots.

A superb food source in the banana and no root disturbance when you pot the cuttings on. I'm going to give this one a go with Dianthus and other herbaceous cuttings!

Whats the most unusual propagation technique you've ever come across or discovered for yourself?

This thread has 58 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Classic Threads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Question about seed starting Lorie 31 May 18, 2012 1:09 PM
Garden Talk: Your Garden Mistakes Dicentra 235 Aug 11, 2013 3:48 PM
Pests: Best animal repellents smokythecat 74 Jun 17, 2014 7:21 AM
Tomatoes: Need acidic tomato... Horseshoe 48 Jun 3, 2014 7:40 AM
Tomatoes: Tomato Blight! jupiter 16 Jun 27, 2012 7:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America