Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: What kind of flutter-by is this?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2001
1:11 AM

Post #4314

Took this today at the park. Rarely do you see a bunch of butterflies congregated together. Does anyone know what kind they are?

Thumbnail by GrannyLois
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

May 1, 2001
1:25 AM

Post #71935

Granny, are you having fun with your new camera? You've joined that elite crowd of folks with digital cameras. :)

I'm going to go ahead and move this over to the identification forum so we can get these identified.

Dave
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2001
1:57 AM

Post #71942

GrannyLois: I think they are Yellow Swallowtail Butterflies. Very nice picture, looks like your becoming a pro. I am thinking of getting a digital camera, then I can join in on the fun, too.
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2001
3:09 AM

Post #71949

GrannyLois, very nice picture! I believe they are Tiger Swallowtails, which are very prolific around here in the summer.
Jean
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2001
11:55 AM

Post #71964

That's an awesome picture! When they gather like that it's called "puddling". They congregate like that around the edges of puddles or where water accumulates regularly. They get sodium and other nutrients from the ground
RiseAnn
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2001
12:29 PM

Post #71969

Great photo! How neat to see them clustered together like that :) Love it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America