Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ktpug
Madison, WI

August 10, 2002
9:33 PM

Post #39404

This is the top of one of several 4'-5' 1-inch thick stems which all eminate from central base, and each is topped with this 6 to 8 inch composite of 8-part shiny black-purple berries, attached to magenta-colored top of stem. Leaf is velvety and thin, bright green, single oval-shaped, 5 to 10 inches in length. ( picture does not do the plant justice this year as I unwittingly, sadly, overwatered this during our hot drought in July...
Thanks in advance for any help. I love this plant! but have no idea what it is! (can't find similar in books, etc. I adopted this and rest of huge perennial gardens and am learning as I go...)

Thumbnail by ktpug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2002
11:19 PM

Post #324086

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/phytolaccaamer.html

maybe pokeweed?
ktpug
Madison, WI

August 11, 2002
12:25 PM

Post #324560

Since MSJen suggested pokeweed, I've been investigating re phytolacca sp in various databases ( as much as I like this plant, I'd have to pull it up if it was the toxic pokeweed.) However- closeups of the berries of pokeweed show them to be round and smooth, not segemented (8 segments) like my plant. the color of berry, stem and leaf is very similar tho- but this plant grows as straight stalks with the composite berry-filled end sticking straight up (when it has not been overwatered! ): ) If this is of the same family- I wonder if the plant is toxic like the "regular" pokeweed. I do not find it in "toxic plant" databases- other than its resemblance, as said, to phytolacca americanus.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2002
4:35 PM

Post #324722

i found it...it is pokeberry.
heres another link that shows the different stages of the berries.
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/scripts/weed.dll/getone.270.htm
sorry to be the bearer of bad news
jen
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2002
4:53 PM

Post #324739

Looks like pokeberry to me.
dave

August 11, 2002
5:05 PM

Post #324749

I'd know that plant a mile away!! POKEWEED!! ARGH! Get those berries in the trash before they are allowed to fall. They are a terrible weed for us here.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2002
6:07 PM

Post #324776

Here too Dave, a huge pest..
Larkie
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2002
6:48 PM

Post #324804

Hey Dave and Larkie... I think some of those pesty seed's blew up from the south cause I have them here too!!!!!!
sue

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America