Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

August 11, 2002
2:42 PM

Post #39511

I have three grouds and only one pumpkin plant this year, will I get pumpkins? I was going to try hand pollination, but I can't get both male and female flowers open at the same time, so far. Will the pumpkin cross with the grouds? I would have had more, but strangly many of the seedings did not make it. This is my first time for growing pumpkins or grouds.
Bug Girl
Violet
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2002
4:24 PM

Post #326169

You may find this link insightful: http://www.indiaagronet.com/indiaagronet/seeds/CONTENTS/Techniques.htm
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2002
4:13 PM

Post #340542

That's an interesting link. Somewhere I read about the amount of space required to keep pumpkins from crossing with other squash family members, but as I recall the average gardener wouldn't have enough space. By now something must be developing out there, what do you see?
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 28, 2002
6:38 PM

Post #340640

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/veggie/viewentry.php?imageid=221 :}
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2002
6:40 PM

Post #340641

Just for the record, squashes come in six species, which do not cross with each other. So you could grow six different squashes side by side with no problems.

The question is, what pumpkin and what gourds do you have? Most--but certainly not all--pumpkins are Cucurbita maxima, C. mixta, or C. pepo. Gourds, by and large, are C. pepo. So chances are yours won't cross pollinate.

There are always some surprises, though. Assuming your gourds are C. pepo, others in that species include the so-called summer squashes (yellow straight- and crookneck, zucchini and scallop), along with acron and spaghetti squashes, which are winter squashes.

So, if you are also growing, say, zucchini, your gourds could cross with them.

Isolation distance between varieties of the same species is 1/2 mile.

Also keep in mind that squash are outbreeders. Which means that, while male and female flowers appear on the same vine, they cannot fertilize each other. A male can only fertilize a female on a different plant.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

August 31, 2002
3:24 PM

Post #342983

I am getting some white/yellow round ones and some yellow ones that look like crook neck. I had to elevate the vines because they were rotting and falling off. The pumpkins are very little and green. I remain hopeful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America