Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Handyman: Building a Coldframe

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 10, Views: 755
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2002
2:02 AM

Post #39738

A coldframe will be going between the side walk and the house. I want to put it below ground (at least a good part of it). Treated lumber is probably the best bet. But what about growing vegetables it it? Are there any other materials that wouldn't be toxic, but still hold up with the wetness?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2002
2:08 AM

Post #325808

Cinder blocks. And they last a long time. Plus you can fill the block holes with insulation. Then build on top of the blocks. Works great!
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2002
2:37 AM

Post #325832

Wow, thanks Horseshoe! I would have never though of that. Boy, post a question; receive a fast and relevant response.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2002
2:46 AM

Post #325840

Well, I knew that answer! (I'm a miser, and like things that last a while at very little cost!)
HOw big do you plan on making your cold frame? And just out of curiosity what are you using for the lid?
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2002
8:54 PM

Post #328889

Maybe 4'x6'? Well I always thought I would use an old window, but to find one is difficult. Maybe a wooden frame with thick plastic?
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2002
8:57 PM

Post #328892

I hadn't though of that either, 'Shoe. You're a genius, my man!!

"eyes"
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2002
9:12 PM

Post #328898

Aw shucks...flattery will get you everywhere!
I've used sliding glass doors for coldframes. They are of a good size, usually thick glass (and often double-paned). They are HEAVY tho so the last time I used one I stuck a cedar post in the ground behind the cold frame, put a pulley at the top of it, and tied a cable to the front of the glass door then up thru the pulley and down the back side of the post. At the end of the cable I attached a weight (I used an old plow but you could use a cinder block or whatever). The weight became a ballast and all of a sudden you could lift open the 50# glass door with only one finger. Worked great!
If there was a drawback to it tho that would be that a strong wind could also open the lid but I remedied that by using a screen door latch to keep the lid closed when I wanted it to stay closed.
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2002
9:42 PM

Post #328912

Sounds good. I will look into different windows and doors (used). Thanks!
JulieKane
Hillsdale, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2005
11:32 AM

Post #1633660

I'm planning to put in a couple of smaller cold frames this fall. I've constructed two before this, but in North Carolina. Now that I'm in New England (well, 5 miles away in NY), I have some questions.

Is there an optimal slope to the lids to take in the most sun at this latitude? And how deep should I go into the ground? Don't know how deep the soil freezes here in Z.5b, but I know that I mistook it for concrete my first spring!

Julie
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2005
1:36 AM

Post #1635329

Don't know about the optimum slope and all, but I've used old shower doors, too. And they each had a "handle" already built in.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2005
1:52 AM

Post #1635375

Julie...I remember reading some yrs back that the slope isn't all that important unless you are living in upper Alaska/North Pole area (where the sun would be "extremely" low on the horizon).

Some folks make their cold frame lids straight across, however I'd recommend at least a good enough slope that the rains and melting snow will run off.

The last ones I made the back side was 6 inches or more higher than the front side, all were facing due South.

Depending on what you're gonna put in there will also depend on the depth of the walls (or height).

You can find your freeze line from either your local ag agent or call a plumber (they have to install water lines below the freeze line). However, a cold frame doesn't necessarily need to be below the freeze line because the glass on it will keep the insides warm (by allowing the sun to shine in).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America