Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 50, Views: 1,759
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2002
2:26 PM

Post #39787

Anyone else here who just might own one of these?

Construction is well beyond this photo taken late May.
Block will be faced with stone when the framing/glass is completed.

I have been looking for a glass source for a few curved panels that need replaced.
Anyone with helpful info I will appreciate. (But L & B panels won't work )o:

Thanks,
Alice

Thumbnail by Abutilon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smiln32
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2002
10:43 PM

Post #328946

Is this yours? Wow. It's impressive. Sorry I can't help out..no glasshouse here. I'm drooling, though.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2002
4:09 PM

Post #329394

Alice, have you thought of contacting some of the plexiglass manufacturers for the curved panels you need??

"eyes"
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2002
1:57 AM

Post #329783

Yes, this is mine. I had a smaller portion up where I am moving from. Now down and going up at the ends of this one.
But this is the whole of it that was salvagable. It is about 2/3 done now. I need usable in about a month.

Finally found someone within 50 miles here who can supply the curved glass. It is expensive. ha

There is door at the side that has odd shaped glass we wound up having cut from Lexon. Looks real good ..I was surprised.
But still think I will go with the glass for the curves just because the rest is.

It is a very neat greenhouse (o:

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2002
9:54 AM

Post #341202

OH MY,its my dream come true!
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2002
1:55 PM

Post #349444

Alice, just how big is it?? it looks huge! Elaine
snowhermit
Woodsville, NH
(Zone 4a)

September 8, 2002
2:12 AM

Post #350029

Wow! It's a beauty. You're so lucky to have all that room.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2002
1:06 AM

Post #350856

Hi Elaine,
It is 25 by 80 feet.
There is a conservatory with it that has been down and stored since the 1920s.
Not sure it is all still there, but may give it a whirl when this is done.
After this far ..I am sure we will figure something. LOL
But may add to the house instead of the greenhouse.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2002
2:45 AM

Post #353582

A glass palace!!!! how lovely! Elaine

October 7, 2002
2:30 PM

Post #379204

If you can send a piece of paper with the curved described on it along with marking the ends, include the width I will look in my shop, I might have some used units laying around.
Andrew M. Simko
> Garden Under Glass
> 11 Vanderbilt Pkwy.
> Dix Hills, NY 11746-5815
> 631 424-5997
> ams@gardenunderglass.com
> http://www.gardenunderglass.com
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4462327

HA HA HA ..
I am researching which took me back to my own post over 5 years ago ...lol
Funny stuff :-)
fourks
Evergreen, CO

January 28, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #4462408

Any more pictures:-)
oldmudhouse
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #4464811

Wow, 25 x 80 glass...the mind boggles...I agree, if you have pictures, I'd love to see them!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 11:02 AM
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4498873

Yes.
One day when a little time to come here again .. I will post more pix.
It turned out beautiful:-)
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4507198

Yes, please post pictures. A dream come true.
Linda
JoshB
Norcross, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4560345

Pictures would be great - you could have an indoor lawn in a greenhouse that size:) Sort of like at Longwood Gardens.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4560607

It's filled with brugmansia, mostly. No lawn ..lol

Here is part of it behind the dwarf orchard and a portion of the butterfly garden we put in last year.
Alice

Thumbnail by Abutilon

forevereden
Louisville, KY

February 20, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4561917

That is awesome. Looks like you have a little path to wonder through. What is the purple flowering plant? Do you use weed wrap/newspaper or just mulch and compost heavily? I wish I had that scene to look at everyday.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #4564702

The purple flowering plant on the left is angelonia.
I grow all the colours available as is one of my very fav summer plants.

The blue/purple plant on the right is salvia 'Victoria'.
It grows beautifully, attracts hummingbirds and butterfies, and dries a wonderful blue shade.

The green with a few pink purple blooms in between just coming out is perennial aster.

Most of the plants in this garden have additional use.

Photo is only a portion of this garden. The whole is maybe 6 times larger.

I do use heavy grass mulch and newspaper on some of the gardens.
This one was mulched with composted mushroom manure which sets off the plant colours beautifully and replenishes soil same time.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4564749

Angelonia augustifolia

Thumbnail by Abutilon

forevereden
Louisville, KY

February 21, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4568877

thank you for the seed info. I probably will order them from one of these catalogs I just got. Thanks~!
vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

October 31, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5735523

Alice - Hello again! I just sent you a D-Mail. Let's talk! I'd love to learn more about your vintage greenhouse! We're in process of designing the layout and location for building a William Lutton greenhouse as well.

If anyone here has a vintage William Lutton Greenhouse or older Lord and Burnham from the early 1900's we'd enjoy learning about your experiences with maintaining and owning such a greenhouse.

Attached is a pic of our greenhouse just before the salvage work began a year ago last fall. Got the whole greenhouse as well as a William Lutton sunroom disassembled and loaded in just 10 days.

We plan to heat it with an E-Classic 2300 outdoor wood burning boiler unit from Central Boiler and say good-bye to propane fuel bills!

- Thanks, Brad

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 10:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 8:21 AM

Thumbnail by vintage_flowers

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #5736049

I talked with your via Ebay, Brad, and encouraged you to keep this greenhouse.
I am happy you are. You will not regret.
Restoring our Lutton glasshouse has been one of the best things I have accomplished.
I would like to meet others with Lutton houses, also.
Will look for your D-mail.
Alice

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 2:34 PM
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5736546

Oh my that is amazing ! I am so excited for you, what a great greenhouse. It is going to be wonderful. I am excited just to see the pictures.
Linda
graceful_garden
Hahira, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5736823

Vintage - how gorgeous!! Do you have any pics showing your progress? I am dying to "greenhouse" vicariously through you! LOL Samantha
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5737387

Here is new canna 'Gettysburg' at the road facing end of mine taken just last week before hard frost.
I will look if I have more photos showing the glasshouse.
Alice

Thumbnail by Abutilon

vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 1, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5738854

Thanks! We're excited too! I've been waiting for about 15 years to find such a greenhouse and it finally came about by chance last year. I actually heard of a Lord & Burnham that was available in the same week I learned of the Lutton greenhouse. I believe the vintage Lord & Burnham greenhouse may be available still in somewhere in Massachusetts.

Anyhow, here's a few more pics of our Lutton greenhouse as we were beginning to salvage it from Long Branch, New Jersey. We haven't yet began building it due to the overall cost needed to do it right. It'll be a few more years before we have both the time (and money) to get everything ready for doing the full restoration. Right now we are in process of creating the blueprints for building the foundation as well as carefuly labeling all the 100+ photos with part numbers, so anyone may put the greenhouse together.

We're kinda new to this vintage greenhouse thing so we are very interested in chatting with anyone who's been there and done this themselves and has any background info to share!

- Thanks, Brad

vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 1, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5738860

Here's a closeup view from another angle...

vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 1, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5739067

It's hard to tell in most of the pics - but this particular greenhouse is "L-shaped" - an unusual design from this era of vintage greenhouses I've learned from restoration experts. One leg of the greenhouse is about 91'ft. long and the 2nd leg is 35'ft' in length. The 91'ft. leg of the greenhouse is the side with the two dormer entrances. There's a utility door entrance on the gable end of the long leg with a dainty looking overhanging roof. The width of each leg is 18'ft.

As you can see in the pics, we had to clear all kinds of grape vines and english ivy etc. off the structure before dismantling the greenhouse. I'll try and find a few of those 'before' pics too! Luckily there was no poison ivy at all within the confines of the greenhouse. That would have made the salvage job quite challenging.

We almost considered selling our greenhouse dream last winter when things were kinda rough with the economy - but we weathered the storm and took Alice's advice to keep this surviving piece from times past.

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5756358

Mine is just one length .. 25' x 80' with a double door entrance at each end and one side dormer entrance. I really like your overhangs.
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5760910

Oh, how great to find such a wonderful greenhouse. When it is finished, it will be so unique. I can just see the vision of what it can be, even just seeing the skeleton framework. What history! I would love to find one, but I would need a smaller one on our smaller property.

They don't make them like that anymore...You are so lucky. I so hope you will post your renovations on this thread when you are ready to proceed...I can't wait!
RatherB
vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 8, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5765025

Thanks! : )

After searching for nearly two decades it was really exciting to find this Lutton greenhouse. It will certainly be a challenging project. It may be a few years before we have any pics of the finished project.

Attached is a pic of the greenhouse before it shed it's greenery

- Brad

RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
6:24 AM

Post #5769223

Brad, that photo is beautiful, too. Although hidden a little more, the great architecture still stands out.

How did you find it? Was it on EBay? Advertised locally? What a great find! As they say, "They don't make 'em like that anymore..."
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5769801

Here is the large side entry to mine.
As most of the original architecture was destroyed, I had to improvise to make it still look period and good.
The stained glass is from a local but world renowned manufacturer here.
This was February and very cold outside. Very nice inside though.
I even picked a lemon that day :-) Pretty good for February and sw PA.
Alice

Thumbnail by Abutilon

vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 12, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5782206

Thanks RatherBDigging,

We found our greenhouse via the net. When I visited the site of the greenhouse I was a bit over-whelmed at first with the task of clearing the vines covering greenhouse. Being the owner and operator of a grounds maintenance business it took two of us just a day to clear off the entire structure. There were several small trees growing inside and english ivy was everywhere! It was kinda treacherous working with the conditions we had to work thru - but we got it done!

Cool pic Alice! Your're endeavor has been an inspiration for us! :)

- Brad

RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5784002

Brad and Alice...
AAAhhhhhhh...

They don't make 'em like they used to! If I could ever find a small one like yours...

I have a question...how much is it to replace all that glass? Will it be custom? or can they be ordered somewhere?
RatherB
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 13, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #5785779

I think there's a couple old greenhouses similar to the one's you all are showing down here in Frankfort KY. They've been there for a long, long time.

Janet
vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

November 16, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5795695

Good question! I'll soon find out! I know one thing, it probably won't be cheap! I may go with greenhouse plastic the first few years just for the sake of having it up and running a bit earlier.

Cheers! :)

- Brad
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5795758

We had a good amount of original glass .. which has that waviness to it and very neat :-)
We had to purchase glass for the rest, and yes ... a bit costly. But I was able to buy as we could afford until finally finished. The stained glass was more costly though .. lol
Some of the curved panels are acrylic as we could not find any glass ones to replace the broken ones.
My glasshouse was first erected in the early 1900s as part of a grand mansion.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 2:09 AM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 2:12 AM
vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

December 5, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5861810

Alice - Sounds like you've learned a lot from your greenhouse project. I'll be giving you a call sometime into the new year to touch base on resources for glass etc.

Also, I'd love to hear more from other vintage greenhouse owners and their experiences with owning a curved glass greenhouse! Any one else out there with resource info on cypress sash bars, curved glass mfg.'s, maintenance info etc?

- Brad

bwilliams
Louisville, KY

December 17, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5900981

I was looking through some very old articles online here from a magazine in the 1918s. I ran across a add that looks to be selling this exact greenhouse. I thought you maybe interested in seeing it. The add is right in the middle of the page. I believe it is on page 218.

http://www.google.com/books?id=MyoCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA202&dq=canna+cultivars&lr=&as_brr=1#PPA218,M1
vintage_flowers
Lafayette, IN

December 19, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5907893

Thanks for the ad link! Looks quite similiar except for the fact King Greenhouses was a different manufacturer vs. ours being a William Lutton greenhouse. The entrance in the ad looks very similar to the dormer entrances on our greenhouse. I've searched the net myself for info or ads on our greenhouse over the past year. Your internet search showing the King greenhouses ad is the closest representation I've seen that best illustrates our greenhouse's entrances.

- Thanks, Brad
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5912945

Brad,
Where is your greenhouse marked 'Lutton'?
Mine is embedded in the sill plates. "William H Lutton, Jersey City, New Jersey".
No question it is a Lutton .. lol
Your sills look very much same as mine.

I know there have to be other Luttons out there in private hands.
And I know where there are several as part of institutions, commercial, etc.
In my research over the years with mine, I have quite a few of those vintage ads.
All are very neat!

Yes, Brian, this King one is similar. And very nice, too. Thanks for showing it.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2008 5:45 PM
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

December 28, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5936462

Oh my, I think I died and went to heaven looking at ya'lls beautiful vintage greenhouses. Oh how I would have loved to live in that period and lived and in a stately mansion with those greenhouse and period clothing. AHHHHHH just dreaming about it makes me happy.

Please by all means keep posting photos, links and so forth and taking us back to by-gone-days. What lovely thoughts and things to day dream about over the winter months.

Makes my little plastic greenhouse look like a joke. LOL But it does get the job done and keep my plants warm and healthy until spring.

Actually my husband has just brought home 6 huge old metal round spools. They are over 10 ft tall and each is over 31/2 fr wide and he's planning on making me some kind of greenhouse out of them. Let's just say they will not look anything like Alice or Brads beautiful antique greenhouses but they should be something to talk about and add a little interest to another part of the gardens and paths here on my humble dwelling. (Old broken down non working farm).

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures Alice and Brad, now I'm going to be drooling for days just thinking about them both put together, full of plants and bursting at the seams with everything under the sun blooming.

Happy Gardening, Marian
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #5981916

One of the fun things and true to the original purpose of this glasshouse built in sw PA was to enjoy blooms and fresh produce through winter. Nearly 100 years later blooms and fresh produce are still grown through winter and make winter days good :-)
Brugmansia 'Bad Angel' in full flush on a cold early winter day in January.

Thumbnail by Abutilon

RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6017591

Kydaylilylady:
Are any of them for sale now? Are they all quite large?

I would love to find a smaller sized one that would not look way out of proportion in the yard...I love the character of those. They are beautiful.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 19, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6023709

Rather, I really have no idea as to if they are for sale or not. They may not even be what you're looking for. They're attached to what was once a retail greenhouse and florist in Frankfort. I'd say they are probably not in the best of shape as there were a few small trees starting to grow in them. I'm pretty sure all the glass is gone out of them.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6028152

I am not sure who the above questions are directed .. lol
If to me, please send me a D mail if any are for me to respond.
Alice
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6030193

Frosted glass in mid January looks like ferns ..

Thumbnail by Abutilon

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6034666

January 21, 2009 0f

Thumbnail by Abutilon

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6034669

another ..

Thumbnail by Abutilon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM
What kind of shelves do you use in your greenhouse?? 2pugdogs 25 Mar 5, 2013 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America