Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Bread In A Jar

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 11, Views: 789
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 3, 2001
5:01 AM

Post #4398

Haven't actually made this myself but have eaten it and its really good.

3c. sugar
1c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2c. cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
2/3 c. water
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 tsp. allspice
1 1/2 c. raisins
1 1/2 c. pecans, chopped

You wil need eight wide-mouth pint jars and eight lids with rings. Wash and rinse jars. Do not use any other size. Let dry. Grease jars with shortening. About 15 minutes before bread is ready to bake, place lids and rings in boiling water. Do not boil, but leave in hot water until ready to use.
In a large bowl with electric mixer, blend sugar and oil. Add eggs. Beat well and add sweet potatoes and water. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Add to sweet potato mixture. Mix on low speed until well mixed. Stir in raisins and pecans.
Pour one cup, plus one tablespoon batter, into each far. Wipe off any batter that might be on the edge of the jar. Place jars on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes. When done, remove jars from oven immediately, one at a time.
If bread has risen above the jar's edge, cut off excess. Wipe edge of jar and seal with scalded lid and ring. Let jars set until they seal. You will hear them pop. Turn upside down and cool. Bread will come loose from the sides and bottom. To serve, slice and serve as is, or with whipped topping.
Patty

May 3, 2001
2:10 PM

Post #72423

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 4, 2001
5:20 PM

Post #72674

Patty --- Haven't tried the Flower Pot bread. Is it similar to the Bread in a Jar?
Patty

May 6, 2001
1:43 AM

Post #72899

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2001
1:57 AM

Post #73484

My mother always made zucchini bread in canning jars. Keeps well, and is tasty!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3914883

Amazing recipe - has anyone made something like this???

Judy
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3915354

Someone at work was telling me about this last year. She was planning to make some and send to her son who was overseas at the time. I was thinking it would be great to include in our troop packages.

Then our bubble got burst:

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/jar_bread.htm

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/news/2003/military03.htm

I have recipes for Apple Cake and Banana Bread in a jar.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #3915537

Thanks so much for the links. The warning on the glass breakage is very timely. Gosh I never thought about it being a suitable "canning" process. I'm so picky about what I eat and how it's fixed I would have automatically put the jars in the freezer after they had cooled. I make up big batches of "fruit bread" for the DH, adding lots of raisins, prunes, nuts and such and freeze them using freezer bags. It's like a dried fruit fruitcake and I thought cooking it in the jars would be a GREAT way to store it in the freezer!!!

beaker_ch I would love your recipes for Apple Cake and Banana Bread in a jar. I'm going to try cooking in the jars ... BEING VERY CAREFUL!!!! to see how it works. I think I'll put the jars in a roaster pan so they would be easier to handle.

Judy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2007
5:19 AM

Post #3916826

That is very interesting...during world war two our families would send fruit loves and cakes in cleaned cans...as they would not break...tied up the end after covering and securing with waxed grease proof paper and brown paper and thick rubber bands.
your recipe sounds del., I was going to throw my old jars away but I will give that a go never thought of them as cooking utensils...thanks:)
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3918828

Judy... Not endorsing baking in jars cause those reports look pretty serious. BUT...I have made bread in jars for years. (I have used lots of quick bread recipes. I don't think a yeast bread would work.)
I usually make around Christmas. I have had jars left into Jan. but after a month I pitch them. The way I look at it you are baking the bread at 350 degrees and seal (drawing a blank and can't remember the temp of cooked bread ). I use the same sealing directions as above but I boil the water the seals are in. Place on the jars as soon as they are removed from the oven. Be careful, A hot job! To me it is a nice way to give as a gift. I do tell people to keep in the refig. Has got to keep longer than bread baked in a pan. Much cuter.

I have never had a jar not seal, develop mold or the seal later break. I do keep in the refig if storing longer than a week. This report does make me think twice about giving as a gift again I am Very careful with food I prepare and eat, everyone might not be as careful. One of the problems of the jars exploding seems to be cold air hitting them when just out of the oven or setting the HOT! jars on a cold surface. Just handle with the same care as canning.

Betty
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 30, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3919172

Here are the requested recipes:

Apple Cake in a Jar

2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup water
3 cups grated apple
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease the insides of 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well. Add flour alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
3. Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean. Wipe off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
4. As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.

BANANA BREAD IN A JAR

2 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup Crisco
4 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed ripe bananas

Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and mix well. Add buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. Place dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add creamed ingredients to the dry and mix. Stir in bananas.

Prepare 7 1-pint wide mouth canning jars with vegetable shortening.
Place 1 c. of batter in each jar (do not use more than 1 c. or batter will overflow and jar will not seal). Place jars evenly spread on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 325F for 45 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wipe rim, place lid. Working quickly put 1 ring on jar and secure. Jars will seal quickly. Repeat with remaining jars. When ready to serve -- bread will slide out.

When properly sealed, will last for 1 year. This recipe for Banana Bread in a Jar makes 7 jars.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3919221

beaker_ch - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Betty - Thanks for posting your experience. I'm definitely going to try this.

Judy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America