Cannas: When are seeds ripe?

Hamilton, Canada

How do you tell when the seeds are ripe? I have seed pods now, do I wait until the green covering turns brown?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I wait until they are dry(turn brown), any I cut into before, nothing there. I did dust with rose/flower , as there was a web already and I knew there would be no seed, if I didn't dust.

Hamilton, Canada

Thanks Hibiscus.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Joydie, you can feel them inside. And as they mature you can even see their shapes through the pod as it thins. You can tell when they are ready as the pod will be papery and brown and often split open to see the seeds inside. Seeds will be hard and a black or dark brown colour when ready.
I am just here a minute, but will send you a pix so you can see the difference between pods no seeds and pods with seeds.
Also, many cannas are sterile and won't produce seeds.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

There's a pic in the Plants Database. Just a note, they have to be hard, smooth, and dark in color. If they are wrinkled and mishapen, throw them out.

"eyes"

Hamilton, Canada

Okay eyes and abutilon. I can see the seed pods with the green covering. I can even feel something inside too. Oh I'm getting excited now. Last year I soaked them and then nicked them and had poor success. Kyle tells me to nick them first and then soak. I certainly want more of these next year!! The mother of the pink flowered variety was beside a brug so it got lots of fertilizer everytime I watered the brug. This plant is huge and now had 4 babies, 3 of which are almost as tall as the mother.
I'm going to have to find a place that has the canna with the lime green striped leaves and I saw another one on the website that has green with a red margin on the leaves.
I'm hooked on cannas now since I saw Abutilon's collection!!
I had noooo idea there were so many different kinds...certainly can't get them up here.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Well Jodie1, I have them both!! ☺☺ Wait until, fall, and well dicuss a trade. Be sure to nick first, and soak 48-72 hours on those seeds.

"eyes"

Hamilton, Canada

Oh EYES...I can hardly wait. This year's garden is wonderful...containers and brugs everywhere, lots of tropicals and all because I injured my knees and can't dig. Its the best garden I have ever had.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Joydie, the photo by 'eltel' ('eyes' recommends ..thanks!) at PDB is good.
It shows the pod maturing and the seeds peaking out. Should help in knowing what to watch for.
I've been 'addicted' to seeds since a kid. I love growing cannas from seed.

Hamilton, Canada

Abutilon,
Did you grow all of those cannas from seeds? Good gosh they are do beautiful! I've got to try move seeds again now that I know how to do this properly.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Joydie, most my cannas are from rhizomes. From seed I only expect species/species types to grow true to parent. Large flowered types seldom grow true to parent. From that group of seedlings, I only select a few to grow on. One day if the time, I will do more serious hybridizing. But right now just keeping everything growing well has been my focus.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

oh, godness, abutilon...you're the one with the zodiac collection!!! i couldn't remember how i stumbled across your site before, but now that i found it again, oh, dear!! i told my husband we're going to have to cut the temperature by 5 degrees so i can buy capricorn, pisces, leo, scorpio, oh, heck, the whole collection!!!!

i've got a question for you about those seeds. i have them on my cannas, and didn't know what to do, if they would grow. what is "be sure to nick first"? and when you soak them, are you talking about plain water, or do you use something special? then plant right into the ground? i'm in texas...zone 9, i think, san antonio...when should i plant them? can i save the seeds, and for how long?

i took pictures of my cannas today, and i'm going to put them in here, but i'm not sure what kind they are. i never used to pay attention to the different names before (i just thought there were orange ones, red ones, and so on!!! boy, have you taught me a thing or two, meaning all of you here at DGs!!!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

meiyu,
You made me smile to read your post this morning (o: ha
You are funny ;-)

I am always comparing notes with my canna friends .. as we are always helping each other out. ha.
But good, it makes a big difference to compare work.
For some reason (we agree) ..the germination rate of canna seeds goes up when waiting 6 months before sowing.
If you go under [canna] at PDB (or access through threads I started) and you will see a section not too far down
on seeds. Open my entry with the seeds on a plate and there is a tutorial for sowing canna seeds.

You should probably start sprouted seeds in pots first to establish before inground.
Though warm climates could probably start seeds inground successfully enough. I have
volunteers come up each spring (zone 6) just from seeds that fall previous season.

If you post your pix, someone here most likely can identify your cannas.
Good luck!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Abutilon...I'll look it up soon!! Right now, I'm TRYING to teach myself time management, or rather, to get outa the gardens and off the blasted computer so I can get some work done around here!!! I gotta figure out a way to swap cuttings for cleanings...haha!! Oh, and now I write all the names down when I buy a plant so I won't have that problem anymore (well, at least if I take some time to clean this room and FIND my list, anyway!!) Have a great day!!!

Hamilton, Canada

Abutilon,
I'm also in zone 6. In the park downtown they have dwarf yellow and I think a bronze leaf canna. There are seed pods all over the ground, but the coverings are green. Can they be dried? If so I might just pick up a few off the ground.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Joydie,
If on the ground they are probably empty pods ..no seeds.
If fertile pods, you should find them on the plants.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Abutilon, gosh, i'm such an idiot!! I was trying to remember what my zone was, and I just noticed that it's right there, under my name!! Hahaha!!!

Anyway, I put my canna pics in the PDB, but did it wrong, and Terry is moving it for me. I don't think he's done it yet, because he asked me if I knew what 'cultivar'(?) it was. Yeah, I know, he hasn't been reading my ignorant comments or he wouldn't have asked me that!!! I think he knows how stupid I am now, cuz I told him I didn't even know what the word meant, but maybe someone would be able to tell me. I listed it simply as a canna...? If you get time, would you see if you know what it is? They're as tall as I am, if that helps...5 ft., the rest is in the picture, and you know more than me. The color is darker than apricot, but not orange, and they have yellow tongues. I think they look darker than they are in the pic.

I've been cutting off the stems when they are no more flowers on them because I thought they looked ugly. I guess I shouldn't be doing that? I had a whole bunch of seeds from big, blackish-brown, kinda hairy looking sacs, too. I threw them in the garden, but retrieved a few, and there will be many more coming, I'm sure, if I stop cutting them off. If any of you see the flowers in the PDB and want the seeds, let me know, cuz I never learned how to appreciate delayed gratification, so seeds would drive me nuts and it wouldn't be a very long trip!! Besides, I'm already trying to figure out where I'm going to put all the little shoots that keep popping out...there's no more room in that bed, and they're multiplying like mad!!! (my mother plant got smothered in the others, and is only about 3 feet tall, if that, hidden somewhere inside all that!!)

if you can't find the cannas, and might be interested in them, look in the photo forum, i think, where i did the before and after shot of my front gardens. you'll see what they look like there.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Abutilon...those volunteers you find every spring? I'll volunteer to get them out of the way for you so you can concentrate on raising the intended...hahaha!!!

Hamilton, Canada

Meiyu,
Stop tossing the seeds!!! LoL. I grew my 2 plants from seed this year. I didn't know the proper way to do them so I soaked and then nicked...backwards method so no wonder I didn't get many. Anyway I would like to try some of your apricot canna seeds. Mine are a watermelon pink is you would like to exchange.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I'll have lots from my un named reds in the fall....if any one wants to trade.....

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I am harvesting a good many extra Robert Kemp seeds ( along with NOT true to types seedlings that will come up, too ..I am sure!).
Trades or sase.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Alice, can you save me a couple of those seeds??
and meiyu, you're hilarious, but Terry is gonna get you, she's a she:)!!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

OOPS! Don't know why I associated her with a he, accept that my only female friend with the same name spells it with an "i" and both my male Terry's spell it the same...Sorry, Terry; just in case you're reading this!! And Tig, if she didn't read it, don't tell her (I'm in enough trouble screwing everything up...hehehe!)!

Jodie1 & CrestedChik, would love to exchange for watermelon canna. That sounds lovely. Perhaps my friend Jim (who should be joining us this week cuz he asked for the name of the website!) will start the seeds growing for me if you can spare two, and he can keep one. I just can't do seeds...too impatient! Email me with your addy and I will get mine to you right away. Make sure you plant them in a place where there's a lot of room, cuz if you've seen my photo of the before and after house shots, you will see how they multiplied times 10 in just 3 months.

Abuliton, anything you want! Heck, I wouldn't even care if they grew deformed...imperfection is my middle name!! I keep seeing trade or sase...what's the latter mean? Oh, and, again, I sooo stupid!! I told you my cannas were 5 ft tall...hahaha...I forgot they're growing in a 2-ft raised flower bed...See, I really just dye my hair brown to 'look' smart...hahaha!!!

Anyone who wants those seeds, just email me with your address.

Hamilton, Canada

Terry,
I would certainly like some of the Robert Kemp and any others for SASE. I don't have any that are particularly interesting just the one that is an unnamed pink.

Eyes, I'll put aside seeds for you.

CC are your canna dwarfs or the tall ones? I can set aside some for you also. I sent datura seeds to Larry and they went through okay so I'll use the same method.

Yall have to remind me cuz I'm functionally senile...I forget things easily. Guess I better also mark the calender for around February/March to start the seeds so I remember to do that....nick and soak, nick and soak.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Mine are all large,I don't have any dwarfs....

Hamilton, Canada

CC I'll put some aside for you. Will take some of your red canna seeds as well.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Cool!!!

Hamilton, Canada

Meiyuu,
I can certainly send you more than just 2 seeds...gosh there are 4 babies around the mother that are almost as big as she is so they will flower also. We don't get any frost here until Thanksgiving which is later than the American one. Just remind me because I really do have oldtimers memory lapses. Spent an hour this morning looking for the cup of tea I made.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hahaha...Jodie, I need to find one of those things you put on your car keys so you can clap and they'll whistle back at you, so I know exactly what you mean. I got a bunch of canna seeds today and mailed them off to GingerLily and MaVie...picked the seeds off my neighbors valentine red cannas, too!! I don't think they live there any more cuz they have a for sale sign out in front now (or I hope they weren't there...can you imagine if they were sitting by the window, watching me as I picked off the seed pods??) Maybe next time I should knock before taking a picture of the mother plants, huh?

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

did Calla train you in pod pinching?She's good!

Sure hope they wern't watching

Hamilton, Canada

Oh meiyu...lol i can just see you gettin caught and trying to come up with an explanation...lol.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hahaha...no crested, Calla didn't train me, that's how I got my first brug, though (San Antonio Sunken Gardens!). Now I take my nail clippers everywhere I go (they take scissors away from you at security checks now, so nail clippers work well), snip and plant...I'm amazed by how many plants root from cuttings!!! Fiesta Texas is full of them, too!! Hahaha...I've gotta get my money's worth since I never ride any rides, you know!
Joydie1...I would've been really embarrassed!! I'm bicycling over again tonight to ask them, but if they're not home, the seeds are MINE...ALL MINE...heh-heh..!

Hamilton, Canada

you are 2 funny meiyu...lol...

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Well, while you snooping...er..er..snipping....snip a couple of extra for me meiyu!!!!

"eyes"

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Go for it!!!!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hahaha...I will! I'm headed up to Lincoln, NE this week for a WWF gig. I'm taking clippers, little pots with soil, and plastic water bottles on the road! I'll get about 5 of everything, just in case!! Wonder if they have brugs in Nebraska...???

Hamilton, Canada

Be sure to get canna seeds for me meiyu...lol...did I say that...can't believe I'm in on this conspiracy.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Got 'em, Joydie1...email me with your address, and I'll mail some out tomorrow (does that make you an accessory?). Oh, no! If I mail the stolen seeds, doesn't that make it go Federal? Hahaha...we're going to the seed stealer's pen!

Hamilton, Canada

LOL...I know nothing, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, but I want the seeds...lol.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Geez, joydie, either you're in another country somewhere across the planet, or an insomniac like me!!! Get to sleep, I'm starting to see double. I'll mail you the "stash" tomorrow...hehe!! Don't forget to email me with an address!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images