Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drcaseyjr
Camden, NJ

May 4, 2001
3:01 AM

Post #4438

my wife got a couple cati the other day and of course as i was helpin her pick them out i was also pocketing all the broken pieces i could find... so tell me johnny apple seed what do i do to get these to grow?
tashak2
Silver Springs, NV
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2001
3:55 AM

Post #72571

1976 ed. Cacti andSucculents for Modern Living suggests (for arid area cacti) either cactus potting mix, or sand/vermiculite mix. If the broken pieces look healthy, no soft spots or insects, let large cuttings dry two weeks to allow cut area to callouse (heal); small cuttings or leaves to be put immediately in potting mix. "cover the base with damp rooting mix, setin a bright area (but not in full, direct sun) and wait, keeping the rooting mix always slightly damp. Roots will form in a few weeks if all is well. Leaves from which you wish to form new plants should be treated in the same way, except that they should be laid on top of the rooting mix instead of being pushed down into it. When
the roots...are well developed, you will feel a slight resistance when the piece is pulled. It will then be ready for potting up...
I have dim memories of having seen a Sunset gardening book on cacti in a thriftstore, but forget the title.
Hope this helps.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2001
11:46 PM

Post #72874

Good advice above, and also, check your local library for books on cacti and succulents.
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2001
8:05 PM

Post #73810

Tashak It is just too easy! Let it heal, and plant in well drained soil. Such a great plant , its not complicated at all.In your zone you could add some large rocks to keep you cactus warm in the winter. One of my neighbors made a cactus fence for the new gentleman who move in.All he did was cut it and plant it. 99 % made it. I will have to post a picture of this later. Water it enough to let it get established.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America