Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: My mystery plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 210
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
high59
Newton Upper Falls, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2001
1:04 AM

Post #4473

My mystery plant it grows in stone, wall flowers in late April and may, white flowers with a blueish center this picture is posted At 150 % the leaves you see are as large as a dime, it dies back in winter but comes back strong in spring. One passer by said in is a English ivy can any one help with it true name

Thumbnail by high59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2001
1:10 AM

Post #72749

It looks to me like gill-over-the ground, or ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea)

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2001
6:17 AM

Post #72798

I'm not sure what it is. But I looked up Glechoma hederacea,
gill-over-the ground, or ground ivy (link below) and it doesn't seem to be it. I'd be interested in learning what it is though! I have some that popped up in a potted plant. Joy
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/lwm/grt_lakes/plantinformati/Glehed.htm
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2001
12:22 AM

Post #72878

Try looking up majus repens- Alba, my leaves seem to be a bit longer than round. I bought it in Oregon, it does well in WI (spreads quickly) but dies back in the winter, only if mulched.
high59
Newton Upper Falls, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2001
1:43 PM

Post #72951

Hi,
Thank you for your replys. I looked up Glechoma hederacea, ground ivy and it's similiar but doesnt appear to be the same. The leaves of mine seem more scalloped and there are no blue flowers. The flowers are all white with a purple throat, the leaves also appear smooth.

Interesting note: in researching the ground ivy I have found that it was used by an herb and that it prevented lead colic in painters, we live in a historical district and our houses were painted with lead for years. I don't know if the plant that is growing in my walls happened to get there this way and due to the soil conditions and the benefit of time if our plants have modified themselves.
Baa

May 6, 2001
3:06 PM

Post #72984

Its an Ivy leaved toadflax , the latin name is Cymbalaria muralis. It will flower from April to October if it feels inclined to but one outside a local farm flowers for just 4 weeks ever year without fail. They spread everywhere but there are worse looking 'weeds' out there. It can be fussy about its location although sunny walls are a favourite. I can't grow this one so I think you're very lucky :)
Mary

May 6, 2001
4:27 PM

Post #72991

Yes, I agree with Baa. It's also called Kenilworth Ivy. We had it in a rockery once. Couldn't get rid of it.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2001
10:11 PM

Post #73193

Another vote for cymbalaria.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America