Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: I have no idea what this is, can anyone help?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2002
8:05 PM

Post #40517

This plant was growing in a clump like cluster near a creek where the county is doing some work to improve drainage and stop flooding in our neighborhood. It has very pretty pinkish flowers and seems to attract butterflies. We rescued some cuttings and they are rooting quite well in our mist house. Unfortunately, we can't figure out what it is. Thanks for looking and any ideas as to what this one is.

FLSuncoast-Annie & Mike

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

August 19, 2002
9:01 PM

Post #331286

Hi FLSuncoast, a belated welcome to DG. :-)

Your plant there is a 4:00 (Miribilis jalapa). It's a beautiful herbaceous shrub and we've got lots of it growing here!

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/92/
http://davesgarden.com/journal/viewentry/3505/index.html

Dave
FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2002
10:26 PM

Post #331349

Thank you Dave, I really appreicate the info, ;-) This is one of the flowers we were looking for to put in our butterfly garden.
dave

August 19, 2002
11:13 PM

Post #331376

That's an excellent idea. The fragrance is outstanding and the three B's (birds, bee, butterfly) really enjoy this plant.

It also repels mosquitos and kills japanese beetles, who feed and then die on the poisonous foliage.

dave
FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2002
7:40 PM

Post #332176

Thanks again Dave, this one is going all long my fence line. What the Japanese beetles have done to my roses is a horrible site. I have had to cut them all way back to save them. Between those and the spider mites (they have gotten to my milkweed also) Mike spends alot of time using the spider mite wand to get rid of them. Maybe this plant will help!

FLSuncoast-Annie
dave

August 20, 2002
8:03 PM

Post #332190

The plant will devastate your Japanese beetle population. Last year the 4:00's and the Japanese beetles killed each other completely. This year, we have no Japanese beetles left and the 4:00's are doing great. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America