Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: newbie's story...

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 283
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_727
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4a)

May 5, 2001
5:43 AM

Post #4479

Well, as you may remember, I learned that I lost my goldfish a few months ago. Well, "just in case" I had not yet gotten around to replacing them, as I didn't want to have more deceased fish on my conscience. Well, imagine my surprise when I was out looking at my pond and, to my surprise, I see LOTS of things swimming around in it. Little black torpedo looking things. Quickly, I realize that they are not fish, but they do look rather large, about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch long. My mind flashes back to the "BUGS!" show I saw on HGTV, and remember that dragonflies spend a year of their lives as underwater preditors. I'd seen many dragonflies by my pond, so I assumed that's what they were. I got very excited. Imagine my surprise when my father comes over, and I show him my new discovery, and he begins laughing at me (bet you can guess what I had!). Yup, mosquito larva, probably at least as many as the letters in this entry.
Needless to say, I ran out to the pet store, and purchased 37 (hungry) 1 inch goldfish. As of two days later, I don't see any mosquitos in the water, and I haven't been attacked by any via air, so I'm thinking that I'm safe.
Other than that, having a fine old spring...hope you are too! kathy
Lana

(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2001
6:00 AM

Post #72795

LOL, are your fish fat now?
AJC

May 5, 2001
5:31 PM

Post #72857

Great story Kathy, thanks for sharing it.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2001
2:46 PM

Post #74750

Nice story Kathy! In my area there is the threat of West Nile Virus, carried by mosquitoes. The counties are spraying to keep the mosquito population down and they're telling residents to remove standing water where mosquito larvae my live. Maybe they should give out goldfish, too!
Trish

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America