Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: What kind of bird is this?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2001
12:54 AM

Post #4503

I have never seen this bird before. It's so exciting to have a new bird come to visit. Does anyone know what kind it is?

Thumbnail by GrannyLois
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2001
1:10 AM

Post #72889

GrannyLois, looks like an Indigo Bunting (male). We see then occasionally around here.
Jean
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2001
1:20 AM

Post #72894

Jean, that's what I thought at first, too. In fact, that's what I labeled the picture in my files. But the blue is different. We had an indigo bunting last year and the blue was so iridescent, jewel-toned. This is didn't look like that one. I wondered if this one was a type of bluebird other than the usual Eastern bluebird we so often see (which does not come to the birdfeeder). GL
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2001
2:08 AM

Post #72906

GrannyLois, just checked Petersons Field Guide for Eastern Birds...there is the Mountain Bluebird (turquiose-blue, paler below, belly whitish). It's range is Alaska, W. Canada to the SW US..rarely seen in the East. Could be the Blue Grosbeak. I could not tell by your pic, but did your bird have tan bands on the wings?
Jean
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2001
2:12 AM

Post #72908

Granny Lois
It looks like a blue Grosbeak, we get them here in Powell sometimes. They are larger and longer than a Bunting.
Calalily
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2001
3:03 AM

Post #72916

Jean and Calalily, it has darker blue bands on the wings. I just checked my bird book (National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds), and it looks just like their picture of the indigo bunting. It doesn't have the tan bands of the blue grosbeak. The shade of blue just threw me off - I guess it changes according to how much sun is on it. Thanx for helping. GL
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2001
3:12 AM

Post #72918

You are most welcome...
Jean
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2001
1:20 AM

Post #73075

GrannyLois
In the shade the indigo buntings will look gray or brown.
their feathers have no blue pigment, it's the refraction of light through the feathers that makes them look blue.
Calalily
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2001
1:11 AM

Post #73231

That explains why the shade of blue can vary then, depending on the amount of light shining on it. Thanks, Calalily.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America