Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

European Gardening: where are you?

Communities > Forums > European Gardening
bookmark
Forum: European GardeningReplies: 265, Views: 2,843
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2001
10:53 PM

Post #4580

hi all

I'm interested to hear where everyone who posts on Dave's Garden is from. That goes to everyone from the UK, US and beyond. not forgetting the bystanders who read but dont post.

also what is your must have and cant do without plant? note plant not plants.

wouldn't it be great if all 1933 members add to this post?!

Mark

This message was edited Thursday, May 10th 1:07 PM

This message was edited Thursday, May 24th 3:15 PM
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2001
10:55 PM

Post #73203

hi all

I'm Mark and live about 15 miles northwest of Belfast, Northern Ireland.

My must have plant has to be the hardy Osteospermum for it's endless flowers all summer until the first frosts.
Patty

May 7, 2001
11:20 PM

Post #73211

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2001
3:01 AM

Post #73255

Hi, I am Lisa from South Louisiana, about 70 miles southwest of New Orleans towards the Gulf of Mexico...my must have plant...hmmm...well it is a tree! It is the Canary Island Palm. I just love palms and live in a subtropical zone. The plant I could do without is poison ivy!!Way to much of it here!
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2001
4:15 AM

Post #73272

I'm Doris, from Mt Prospect, Illinois which is about 20 miles northwest of Chicago. My must have plant, which I just got is called Million Bells. Only certain nurseries are allowed to sell them. Looks similar to small petunias but really neat! I could do without Creeping Charlie who is trying to take over the world, starting with my yard!!
daisy_chain
Norwich, Norfolk
United Kingdom

May 8, 2001
6:09 AM

Post #73291

Hello, I'm Trina and I'm from Norwich which is south East England,UK.

My must have plant is Melianthus Major which I'm attempting (very unsuccessfully) to grow from seed.

I don't have any could do without plants/weeds yet, but I could do without the Vine Weevil!!
marigold
Birmingham
United Kingdom

May 8, 2001
7:57 AM

Post #73299

Hi there, I'm Marigold, and I live in Birmingham, West Midlands, England.I can't live without Poppies and Aquilegias, and have recently fallen in love with Dicentra
marigold
Birmingham
United Kingdom

May 8, 2001
7:59 AM

Post #73300

Sorry if it can only be one plant it is the Ladybird Poppy.
Marigold.
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

May 8, 2001
8:46 AM

Post #73303

Hello! I'm Diane and I'm from Middlesbrough. That's at the mouth of the River Tees in the north-east of England. My must-have plant is the rose - which I can't plant at the moment cos of replant problems that we have with them in England. I could happily live without ivy. One tiny houseplant grew up the garage and lifted off the roof-tiles - made it an extremely expensive houseplant!!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2001
10:43 AM

Post #73310

Hello
I'm Kathleen from far western New York State, US. One plant? That is a cruel test! For the farm, it would be orchard grass (too wet for alfalfa here), for my soul, it would be the big rugosa rose. It blooms first and last and has lovely big hips! A plant I could live without would be nut sedge.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2001
11:28 AM

Post #73320

hello, I'm Dori from mid michigan-hold up your left hand. see the little curve between your index finger n thumb-thats where I'm at!(never without a map of my state).
My flower that i have to have is night scented stock(cant find my seeds)the fragrance is the best.
I could live without creeping charlie and the mints that seem to take over!!
have a good one everyone,
dori
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2001
8:36 PM

Post #73411

Hi everyone!I'm Ladyhawke, and if I have to pick one plant, it would be columbine hands down. It comes in a variety of colors and forms, and you never know what your going to get, when starting from seed. Even after the blooms are gone, you have the nice fernlike foliage. In central california, where I'm from, it is "evergreen", and doesn't go into a dormant stage, so you have nice green foliage all year round. At the moment, I have about 45 such plants growing in my garden, and another 20 seedlings that I started this spring.
Baa

May 8, 2001
8:38 PM

Post #73413

I'm Debby and I currently live in Hampshire which is south central England. I was born in the Black Country though (for those who don't know its west Central England) 'Ow Do Marigowld'

Can't do without plant is umm (Mark why only one..there are so many!) lol, Digitalis of any species, or any in the Scrophularia genus (did I get round the rule?). The one I could happily live without is the Rose, although I do house a couple. Fodder wise Timothy grass is my favourite such soft leaves and great hay smell.
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2001
9:03 PM

Post #73423

why one plant only?

cos it's too easy to write a list of favorite plants without thinking about one in particular.

Mark

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2001
10:48 PM

Post #73442

Well, I'm from the middle part of the great state of Tennessee, also known as the Volunteer State, since Davy Crockett took some fellas down to Texas to help defend the Alamo a few years ago. (Did I tell that story right, all?)

Our state university's nickname is the Volunteers, and we are big fans; hence my DG name of "Go_Vols". Not to be confused with voles, which we also have here in this state. And our yard.

Favorite plant? Peonies. I know they're kind of fussy and all, but they were one of my grandmother's favorites, and every time I smell a peony, I am reminded of that wonderful woman. Another favorite (because you can't have one favorite - it's like choosing a favorite child from among all my children) would be lilac. Although they don't do well this far south, they carry many childhood memories for me, as they were prolific bloomers in Nebraska, where I grew up.
CoCo

May 9, 2001
1:21 AM

Post #73470

Hi, I'm Colleen from Alvarado,Texas, South and East of Fort Worth...(Tornado country)
Favorite plant would have to be roses. I have a few but never enough.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
1:49 AM

Post #73482

Hi there all,
I'm Melody from south west Kentucky.I live just a few miles from the Tennessee state line and very close to Kentucky Lake.Do a web search on Kentucky Lake and you can see lots of our pretty resort area.

Tomatoes!!!! can't live without 'em! All shapes ,colors and tastes.I live for my tomato season.

If I have to choose something that flowers...Crape Myrtle.I have several and will get more this season.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2001
2:35 AM

Post #73488

Hi Mark,
I'm Sandy and I, like Dori, am in Michigan, sort of on the thumb knuckle, and right across the bridge from Sarnia, Canada. my all time favorite is the peony. The beautiful full blooms and the luscious fragrance they emit. Smalling peonies just puts a smile on my face.
So how about you Mark...where are you from and what is your "must have" plant?
Sandy
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2001
4:59 AM

Post #73504

Hi, I am from Northern California about 250 miles noth of San Francisco. Located near the coast in the Mountains we are blessed with a mild climate and beautiful forests of coastal redwoods, fir, cedar and pine.

The plant that I absolutely cannot do without is the fuscia.
Any type of fuscia. They are lovely and the humming birds love them.
JackieF
Chester, North Wales
United Kingdom

May 9, 2001
7:46 AM

Post #73510

Hi,
I'm Jackie and I live in North Wales on the border of Cheshire (old sheep-rustling country!)
I love most plants but adore Phlox Paniculata...they really do flower their socks off for such a long time.
I am not too keen on michaelmas daisies...but the only plant I cannot abide(in the garden) is bracken...grrrr!
I don't know much about fodder crops...but if it counts,red clover!
FernCliffFarms
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
11:22 AM

Post #73521

I live in Northeast Alabama on Sand Mountain overlooking the Tennessee river.The plant I would not want to do without is old rose that belonged to my ancestors that lived around here, least liked poison ivey I can nevver get rid of it.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2001
2:05 PM

Post #73552

FERNCLIFF MY Sister is building a house on sand mountain alabama (bryant)-wow ya'll are neighbors.
my greatniece goes to school at floralcrest on sand mountain. This is really neat-she has like 80 blueberrybushes and tons of stuff!!! kewl beans!!!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
2:28 PM

Post #73558

Hi I'm from Brandon, FL, about 2 hours West of Orlando and 20 miles south of Tampa.

Passifloras (passion vines)!
Vinca

May 9, 2001
7:17 PM

Post #73611

Mark and all, I am Margaret from Co. Wicklow, Ireland. Houseplants are my thing, but overall, the plant I would be very sad about if I hadn't got it is the Viola in all its varieties, Irish Molly, Maggie Mott, Jackanapes and so on - is that cheating? Mark kidnapped me on the WWW and brought me to Dave's Garden!
FernCliffFarms
Dutton, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
8:31 PM

Post #73631

Hi notmartha.
Your sister will love Sand Mountain. The upper end of the mountain where Bryant is is a haven for all kinds of wild flowers. Floral Crest used to grow acres of flowers for the market and I suppose still do. Say Hi to your sister for me
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2001
8:45 PM

Post #73634

Hey, I'm Kimberley and my hubby and I live in central Ohio. My favorite plant. Hmmmmmm...I guess Nicotiana is my favorite because of its heavenly smell at night, though I love violas, too!
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
9:07 PM

Post #73639

Hi,i'm Gwist and I live in Biel,a little town on a lake between Basel and Bern,Switzerland.
My must-have plant is Clerodendron Ugandense(blue butterflies),but my cant-do-without plant is Columbine.I just love they way they spread and change every year.I think I started out with 6,but now..woohoo!
Gwist
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
9:09 PM

Post #73640

Hey Doris,I just bought Million Bells today! What a nice one! I also found Surfinia Limelight with variegated leaves..I wish I saw it last week!
Gwist
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2001
10:56 PM

Post #73655

Vinca

LOL, did I save you from the other side? remind me please

Mark
weggers
Great Falls, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2001
11:38 PM

Post #73662

Hi, I'm Meg. I live in Great Falls, Virginia. About 20 miles west of the nations capital, Washington, DC. My favorite plant would probably be hydrangea (big, blue)...brings back good memories (of Grandmother too) and also the lilac...they smell beautiful (I sound like go_vols)! The plant I would love to never see again, but unfortunately have creeping all over my property, is the ground cover, Chameleon...this plant is like the everready battery...it just keeps going.
marclay
markleysburg, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
12:15 AM

Post #73672

HelloIm Shirley and I live in Pennsylvania south of Pittsburgh in the mts. I am a retired pastor and medic supervisor and do national disaster response for Church World Service as a volunteer. Gardening is a hobby of my youth that I am returning to in y retirement. My have to plant is lilac-the old fasbioned strong scented ones of my younger days-it announces spring in the mts. The one in my yard is about 15 feet high and covered with blooms I dont have a can do without plant- I guess I love even the so called weeds because thy are part of nature. So many wonderful people here in Daves Garden.
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
1:39 AM

Post #73683

Hey Gwist, Mine is yellow, I want to get back and get one of the cherry colored ones and they have sort of a bronzy color one too. They are really neat! I wonder what other colors they come in? I'm glad you let me know you have one so if I have a problem with mine or you do, maybe we can compare notes! Doris
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2001
10:36 AM

Post #73721

i live in springfield, massachusetts, in the western half of the state.
my favorite flower (that i know about so far :-) ) is the hydrangea. oh picking one is just so hard, its like picking just one favorite color. i'm an artist and there are just sooooooooooooooo many nice colors, just like i'm discovering there are sooooooooooooooooooo many nice flowers.
my least favorite, so far... :-) are "yew" sp? vines and then trees that grow in the woods behind my house. they and there roots invade everywhere. i even sawed down a couple and the dang trunks are sprouting, the little buggers. LOL guess they have to be tough to survive all the other stately trees that are in the woods.
thanks mark for a great thread.
debi z
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2001
9:06 PM

Post #74042

Hey Doris,I have Carrilion(sp?)purple, and white which is really bronzy. I will ket yyou know how I get along with these.
Gwist
RaggedRobin
Lewes, Sussex
United Kingdom

May 13, 2001
9:16 AM

Post #74294

I'm Rob and I am in Lewes in Sussex near the South coast of the U.K. I am 50 miles south of London, 8 miles East of Brighton or 10 miles West of Eastbourne. Favourite plant? Cuckoo flower or ladies smock. Favourite garden plant? any good auricula. Plant I would most like to see the back of? GROUND ELDER. Rob.
IrishMolly

May 17, 2001
11:50 PM

Post #75289

For me there is only one plant that matters, the zonal pelargonium - I'm a one-plant woman. The miniatures, the tricolours, the great big tall old ones with their huge heads, the cactus-flowered, the single flowered or double flowered - they're so forgiving (they need to be, with me), the seeds that are like miniature surprises - each one a potentially wonderful new plant - the range of colours, the plain velvety leaves and the leaves with brown, yellow, red splashed across the green. In the garden they come into their own, their leaves thicken, their heads grow sturdy, they simply blossom. As house plants they are superb also. You can grow them as tall as trees, if you have a mind to, or as tiny as tiny bonsais, if you're short of space. Each is unique, different, yet they all share such wonderful characteristics, they are gentle, kind and, like cats, quite happy on their own, but welcoming whenver they see you. There, have I convinced you?
Semiplena
Fremont, CA

May 18, 2001
12:56 AM

Post #75308

Hi I'm Mike.

I live in Fremont, California, which is just north of San Jose, just south of Oakland and across the bay (in a southeasterly direction) from San Francisco.

Favorite: Any rose that's not a hybrid tea.
Most despised: Oxalis. The yellow one. I don't know the species name, but if I did, I'd use it as an epithet.

Mike
lilyblossom

May 18, 2001
1:16 AM

Post #75312

Hi, I'm Lily and I'm from Ireland, the south-east, though I live near the city now. My favourite plant is waterlilies, and I don't like Lupins, I don't know why. When I settle down, I want a house with a lovely long meadow behind it, full of all sorts of plants, wild and all. No lawn to mow.
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2001
6:49 AM

Post #75383

ummmmmm a wildflower meadow! there aren't many left in the UK and Ireland. There is one about 15 miles from me but I have never got round to having a look.

dreams can come true! I hope 'cos I want a garden with a natural stream flowing in it

Mark
IrishMolly

May 20, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #75787

Hi, forgot to say where I was from - Dublin, Ireland. Any other Irish members out there?
Cash

May 23, 2001
11:21 PM

Post #76661

Hi, I'm Cash, from the garden spot of Okla. Bixby, Okla.
Sunflowers are my favorite, lots and lots of BIG SUNFLOWER
e-mail me Cash41S@aol.com
pukeGreen
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2001
10:40 PM

Post #77243

I'm Cindee and I'm from Santa Cruz, CA, where everyone seems to have exquisite gardens cause everything seems to grow like crazy here. Santa Cruz is a coastal city 2.5 hours south of San Francisco and 45 minutes south of San Jose, a magnet for surfers.

I love any plants that are chartreuse (green-yellow) but I can't say I dislike any plants yet--I even like oxalis.
Mary

May 25, 2001
11:18 PM

Post #77255

I have a beautiful Oxalis, so there! It's Oxalis magellanica, and it has tiny reddish waxy leaves and big white flowers. It grows between all the rocks in the rockery (OK, and between all the other plants, too), and it's covered in flowers now. There are lots of other nice Oxalis, too. I don't have them, but I want them.
Spider
Toronto, ON

May 28, 2001
2:15 PM

Post #77888

Hi everyone, I'm Robyn. I live on Ward's Island just off the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in Lake Ontario. Thanks Mark for asking people to introduce themselves, especially those of us who usually browse. Currently I am obsessed with Lilies - all types - they love our sandy soil. I manage to keep to my Lily gardens in bloom from June to September. I don't see many Canadians here, are you also out there lurking in browse mode? Let's hear from you too - this is an amazing web site.

Robyn

This message was edited Monday, May 28th 10:16 AM
Samantha

(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2001
5:08 PM

Post #77930

Hi! I'm Samantha, from a little town in Ontario. Gee Robyn, we're almost neighbors! The plant (right now!) I'm most excited about is the Columbine group. I think they're awesome! The plant I'd most like to aquire is a Ginko tree. The one I most detest is the Dandelion!

This message was edited Monday, May 28th 1:12 PM
IrishMolly

May 28, 2001
9:31 PM

Post #77965

Hi, I'm Mo from Dublin, and my favourite plant is the zonal pelargonium. What am I talking about - my only plant! I'm a one-plant woman.
IrishMolly

May 31, 2001
9:22 PM

Post #78823

Hi, I'm Mo from Dublin, and I'm a bit forgetful. I keep forgetting that I've already posted to forums and posting again.
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2001
4:50 AM

Post #78937

Hi I am Helen and live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia on the west coast of Canada - very temperate climate here, I have bananas and figs growing in my garden, do protect them in the winter with sacks around the plants.

My favourite plant is the iris have lots of them and most have been grown from seed by me.

Least favourite is the rhododendron, had two in the garden, when we bought the house last year. I got my daughter to yank them out with her 4x4 truck, I said she could have them and good riddence to them!

This message was edited Friday, Jun 1st 12:35 PM
Cottagegardener
Essex
United Kingdom

June 1, 2001
6:43 PM

Post #79113

hello, i'm Sue from Essex, UK and have just joined today, I'm really enjoying the site but i find it a bit confusing, either it's me or the painkillers for my slipped disc! I'm a frustrated gardener whose back is stopping her from getting her hands in the soil. I can't quite work out if i can trade seeds with anyone or just in the UK, can you clarify for me please, also i'm stunned at how many people know so much about plants and seeds, i'm going to be lucky to trade anything because my descriptions are going to be more like - yellow plant no idea of name but quite pretty comes up every year!!
Anyway i'll give it a go. Favorite plants are roses and least fav is ornamental grass
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2001
8:16 PM

Post #79143

hi cottage gardener

you can trade with who you want when you want no matter where they are in this e-world.

have fun on daves

Mark
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2001
2:35 AM

Post #79944

Gwist, Got a new one, Trailing Blue. Beautiful deep blue. My yellow million bells doesn't like the sun, leaves all got yellow, so moved it into the shade. It's picking up right away, so even though the tag says sun, this one sure doesn't like it. Doris
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2001
2:46 AM

Post #81876

Hi everyone, Hi read a lot of the posts on all the forums, but mostly hang out on the farm life forum. I live in Central Missouri in the United States. I have an 8-5 job but besides my wonderful family I love working on my farm. I have a few sheep and calves. I moved back to a farm next to the one I grew up on a few years ago. My brother lives there. I am slowly trying to build up my livestock so that when I retire I will have plenty to do I guess. I also love flowers and gardening. With all my hobbies I keep pretty busy.
CottageGardener, I have done some great seed trades with the UK. No problems. I have learned a lot about plants I already have, so when I trade I can try to give latin names. but I also will trade for stuff like my yellow iris for your purple iris type trades. Hope you enjoy Dave's as much as I do.
SuePa
Hanover, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2001
11:35 AM

Post #81944

Hi, I'm Sue from Hanover, PA - a small town in south central
PA 85 miles north of DC. I'm having trouble typing because I
have an infected finger from a rose thorn! The roses look great even if my fingure doesn't! My favorite flower is lavender which is just beginning to flower here.
CARRIGAN
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2001
11:37 AM

Post #84552

Hi all, I'm from Milford, Connecticut. I live on the coast where the mouth of the Housatonic River meets the Long Island Sound. My backyard overlooks 840 acres of Audobon protected salt marsh and water and I am up on a little bluff. The wind is a constant factor here and the soil isn't so great. We have lived here for just under three years so the gardens are just starting to look like something. When we first got here there were no beds at all and the soil was so hard that when you jumped on the shovel you bounced right off. We had a heck of a time digging in those beds. My garden is always trial and error, but my goal is to create a habitat that is wildlife friendly and organic. I have a large upper-story of mature trees (oak, maple, etc.) so there is a fair amount of partial shade in a lot of the yard and fairly acid soil (still amending). My gardening style is English Cottage and if I had to pick just one plant (which is close to impossible)...well...every type of foxglove I can get my hands on!
Gwist
Biel
Switzerland
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2001
6:44 PM

Post #84734

Hey Doris,
Well the rain has finally stopped,so I will post a picture of my Million bells soon.That blue sounds lovely!My white(well,not really)and blue ones are in full sun,in a pot on top of my mailbox! The mailman rang the bell yesterday to apologize for breaking 2 flowers :).What will he do come September..probably hand-deliver the mail!
Gwist
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

June 19, 2001
7:13 PM

Post #84753

Hi, I'm Julie from Iowa - the Heartland of America. My favorite flower is the hydrangea. The one plant that I can't live without is delphiniums. The one plant I could live without is stinging nettle. We have a bumper crop of it again this year due to a bad bag of birdseed. (You do get what you pay for.) This is a great thread to read!

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 19th 10:24 PM
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2001
3:41 AM

Post #84985

Hi Gwist! I'll be anxious to see your pictures when you post them. I'll bet your blue ones look pretty up on top of the mailbox! Yes, when the plants get bigger, your poor mailman, especially when he was upset about breaking 2 flowers!! He won't be able to find the door to put the mail in the box. Sounds like you're going to have hand to hand mail delivery! LOL. Doris
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2001
6:21 AM

Post #86385

hi! I'm Lilith and I'm from Durham in the north east of england. i live out in the sticks next to fields and woodlands so it's really full of wildlife here.

The plants i couldn't live without would have to be my herbs in my herb garden, in particular the coriander, i just love the fresh lemon citrusy smell..

Can i ask a favour to anyone out there? Could anyone tell me how i can get rid of creeping buttercup from my lawns and borders, i can pull it out when weeding, but the lawn is full... short of relaying the turf is there anything else i can do? I'm not really keen on using herbicides and try to keep as organic as possible.
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #91882

Hello - I'm Ros from rural mid Essex UK
My favourite plant has to be dicentra especially the smaller forms like bacchanalia. I'm very lucky living where I do as I'm not far from Beth Chatto's gardens - bliss!!!!!
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2001
8:57 PM

Post #92024

Beth Chattos is on my list of places I must visit.

thanks for taking the time to post

Mark
Sis

July 8, 2001
9:51 PM

Post #92041

Thanks for the thread Mark''I'm Sis and live on the prairie of Kansas' Tornado Alley it's called' It's farms as far as the eyes can see' Our community has under 100people and lots of dogs and cats'I've been to all 48 states and all of Canada with DH on a truck(18wheeler)for now 35 years'The temp was 112 yesterday,was 98 at 5am today' My favorite plant,sooo hard to choose Mark' The rose,Blaze to be exact for the fragrance and blooms'The least of course,Poison Ivy,Oak,it's a nasty one'''Haven't been across the big pond but my grandmother ALWAYS purchased a Irish Sweepstakes Ticket,didn't win though''Darn it'''Glad to meet all of you'Keep in touch' Sis'' Zone5 (NE Kansas)
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2001
9:25 PM

Post #92411

thats some travelling Sis. I've been to 4. Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Illinois.

Mark
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2001
8:16 PM

Post #93691

Hi, I live in NW Florida. About 30 miles east of Panama City.
Must have flower...Rosa eglanteria (sweet brier) Had one but lost it when it started to rain EVERY day.
Could do without "crab-grass" takes over everything when it rains.
Pierre

July 27, 2001
7:46 AM

Post #101324

Hi,I'm Pierre from Hartlepool on the north east coast of England.
Couldn't choose between lavender and rosemary. I really like the upright form of rosemary it has so many good qualities. My favourite lavender is stoechis(I think its called that).I have them both just outside the entrance to my greenhouse.I'm not fond of bindweed.
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

July 27, 2001
8:13 PM

Post #101589

Hello Pierre! And welcome!!! I see you're a new member. Lots of friendly folk here.
You live fairly near me. I'm just south of the river in Middlesbrough. That's about 9-10 miles I think. I'm just about melting with this hot weather we're having.
Is Pierre real or a screen-name? Sounds French to me!

I won't mention a single word about the Hartlepool Monkey. Promise. Cross my heart and hope to ...

Diane
cate

August 12, 2001
4:50 PM

Post #109387

Hi All, I'm Kate from Middlesex, outside London. Live near to oak woodlands and have oak trees in every garden nearby. Favourite flower (for now, at least) is the hibiscus. I love the double ones, although there's way too much shade in my garden to grow as many as I'd like and everyone else's are in full bloom while mine are still thinking about it. Least favourite - scarlet tulips - they seem too formal.
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2001
6:14 PM

Post #109833

hello pierre, i used to live in hartlepool, on the headland, whereabouts are you? i'm now living in durham, (just outside).
Pierre

August 15, 2001
11:39 PM

Post #111071

Hello Lilleth,The headland is a cold and windy site for plants to flourish. I've got a bit more shelter at Foggy Furze . The cold north and east winds can still play havoc with my plants though.
janeda
HAYWARDS HEATH, Suss
United Kingdom

August 16, 2001
10:27 AM

Post #111216

Hallo, everyone, in UK and beyond! I'm Jane from Haywards Heath, between London and Brighton. Have a tiny garden with a greenhouse, and love growing toms and herbs. My favourite plant wd have to be good ol' lavender, which I'm going to plant up in the even tinier front garden to smell nice for the passers-by. I'm enjoying getting to grips with a garden again having moved back after 7 years in Norway, with its 20-minute growing season. So it seemed. I miss the Northern Lights, 12 varieties of edible mushrooms in the forest, and elk in the garden, but, hey, there are FAR too many other compensations here in Blighty!
Elaine
Poole, Dorset
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2001
9:47 PM

Post #112801

I'm Elaine from Poole in Dorset. My favourite plants are irises. And roses. And ...

My least favourite plants are red hot pokers. And the red salvias you see in gardens and parks.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #4681424

Hi my name is Elmer Fudd, my favourite plants are Crocosmia...

I could do without bindweed and blackbirds stealing or moving my plant labels...

I am from Lincolnshire on the east coast (well nearly).
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2008
8:22 AM

Post #4681452

Hello, I'm Anke and I'm from The Hague which is in the west of The Netherlands, close by the sea.

This year I'm very much into Salvia's but next year there will be a new favourite, no doubt.

Preferably I would like to try every plant I can put my hands on but space keeps me limited!

I can do perfectly well without slugs and aphids, of which I have far too many!!!!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #4682367

Hello,
my name is Brigitte and I am originally from Germany.

Since 1981 we have resided in the US state of Maine,they call it vacationland on our car license plate because it is so beautiful here.

My main hobby in gardening are roses but lately I have been intriqued by the beauty of morning glories which I will plant in containers this year.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #4683402

Hi everyone,

I'm Rannveig and I live in a small town just outside (10 min.) Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland. I still haven't met a plant I didn't like, but my newest obsession is roses so I don't think I could do without them. However it would be pretty hard to have nothing but roses here since they flower so late ;-) lol I could however do without most weeds, if I could only pick one it would have to be crawling buttercup. My neighbor's yard is filled with them and they don't respect boundaries.

Rann
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #4686216

Mark how cheeky of you, Elmer Fudd indeed, lol, a 2001 thread! Bored again are we? Original poster is Mark too, thought you'd get away with it hey?

OK, I'm Her Royal Highness of countries many, depends how far back you want to go.

To choose a favourite plant is very difficult, but I will go with Camellia until I think of anything else to replace it, many come close.

I can't see the original question asking for a plant you can do without, but as it has become a question I will have to say... that nasty weed that keeps creeping into my beds, Sheep's Sorrel!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4686330

Where am I?

Sitting in front of my computer.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #4686335

Lol Resin, that must be the most common location!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4686408

ooooooooooooooooo Sheep's Sorrell...!!!!!!
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4686436

Hi, I'm Madeleine originally from London but now in Florida - I just love the tropicals and have Brugmansia's, crepe myrtles and plumerias growing, I am trying to grow stuff from seed and loving every minute of it - Resin - you know how we have such amazing birds here - my feeders always have something.
lauriwilson
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4686569

LOL...

Who am I and why am I in this box???
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4690276

Lauri Think hard which other 'box' do you think you should be in - better stay here!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #4706733

Resin, I am in the living room...in Florida USA

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4707050

A show of orchids in my dreams only!

Gald to see you taking a rest Dale, I bet you're having to stay out of all that heat. I'm in the living room too, after a walk out in the lovely warm sun it's turned yet again cold and cloudy, if the sun should reappear I might be out in the garden so you will know where to find me, lol.

lauri, you could try thinking outside the box, lol.
lauriwilson
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #4707068

LOL but Janet it is cold when I go outside the box...sun quit shining here also...but going to be brave and re-pot a few dozen crocosmia for sale...So if I am not back by dinner I am froze outside at the potting bench...then send a hot toddy...ROFLOL

Lauri
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #4707110

Oh stop it you guys :-)
cold in zone 8...should be here in zone 5,we still have some snow and I would gladly trade to just walk around my garden to see what has survived or is coming up...and yes I also take that hot toddy :-))
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4707149

But but..we came from warmer climes, it's all a matter of comparison, lol, send you down to zone 2 Eglantyne and you might feel the same :~))

Ye OK, granted we have it good compared to some, but that doesn't stop us feeling the frustration, and i'll bet in zone 5 you don't get maximum temps of 54F (12C) in mid July! Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #4707171

Is that what you're getting in Mid July ? why ?
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #4707233

We should get an average of 21C (70F) in summer, but we often get colder and occasionally warmer so that is the average. I don't know how it is the average because summer is seemingly forever cold, with the first two weeks in August about all you can rely on to be warm. Last year we had a terrible summer, often 14-16C (57-61F) maximum, but the year before was a record hot year so they were telling us it was going to be even hotter. How wrong they were, lol! Grrrr.

This is a small island with weather systems that can push either way, from south or from north, often from the west and occasionally east off the continent (cold in winter) but when the north wins to over the south it's freezing. It comes from the cold of Iceland. Apparently we have one of those high level air currents (if I could remember it's name!) which jostles above us so can cause bad weather if it pushes south.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #4707299

Up around here (close to the east coast, northeast England), it is the North Sea that is the primary influence on the weather. The sea water is 6°C at its coldest in winter, rising to 13°C in late summer. So the average winter temperature is close to 6°C (dropping a bit as the land cools), and the average summer temperature is close to 13°C (rising a bit on sunny days).

In other words, very mild winters, and miserably cold summers.

Resin
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4707306

We are 12 miles from the North Sea but it doesn't affect us like that Resin...

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #4707366

Yep - you're south of Flamboro' Head. Up here, the North Sea is over 60m deep, and has onshore upwelling of cold, deep water*. South of Flamboro' Head, it is much shallower (less than 30m deep) and doesn't have any upwelling, so the water gets quite a bit warmer in summer, around 16 to 17°C.

*That's also what keeps the northern North Sea so fertile, supporting the big seabird colonies on the Farnes and the Scottish east coast. Almost no seabird colonies south of Flamboro'.

Resin
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4707383

So now it makes sense to me knowing a little more about your location.

BTW wallaby1 did you ever receive my paket of varies seeds quite a few months ago ?
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4707409

Resin

Yep we are south of flamboro head... I didn't know the sea was shallower here than where you are. Actually our summers normally are 18 to 20, sometimes in the mid twenties.

We may not have the sea birds but we do have the seal colonies... have you been to see them?????
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4707423

No Eglantyne, I didn't know you sent any, unless I have lost my marbles, lol! I don't recall you asking for my address either, am I losing it?? I searched my dmail just in case, I have no records there.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4707450

Good grief maybe I lost MY marbles which wouldn't be a surprise with everything we have gone thru the last 2 years !!!
We have moved also so things have been in uproar since we sold a large house withhin 3 days on the market...had to be out in 3 weeks...accumulations of 26 years in that home and over 40 years of marriage.
Here is a link what I have been up to.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #4707463

Sorry ,here is the link and I will send you the second link as well.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/732119/
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #4708214

Well it's supposed to be hot here, but today that wind resembles the cold northerly I used to know! Of course it is going back into the 80's by Thursday. Eglantyne 3 days that's a record breaker - it's not so good for many around here, we have about 8 homes up for sale in this road and a couple are short sale foreclosures plus a runaway. No you haven't lost your marbles - you just misplaced them in the move! they will probably turn up again some time!
I also went to Flamboro Head some years back - it was cold wet and windy, but I am still glad I went, I also passed through Beverley and years later met a girl from Beverley in a hairdressers in Karachi, this world is shrinking!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #4708422

Hi Elmer,
[quote]Yep we are south of flamboro head... I didn't know the sea was shallower here than where you are. Actually our summers normally are 18 to 20, sometimes in the mid twenties.[/quote]
Yep, the land warms up a little more than the sea does in summer, and cools down a little more in the winter. For up here, the temperature range (late winter mean to late summer mean) in the sea is 7 degrees, but about 12 degrees on the coast, and 14 degrees a bit further inland. Of course on west winds, the sea doesn't have quite the same effect.
[quote]We may not have the sea birds but we do have the seal colonies... have you been to see them?????[/quote]
Yep, been to Donna Nook once, mainly to see a rare bird but did see some seals while there. We've got an even bigger Grey Seal colony on the Farnes (about 6,000). They swim long distances to feed, a lot of the Farnes seals go all the way up to Shetland and Norway just on fishing trips, so your Donna Nook seals are well within range of the deeper northern North Sea for feeding. But they will also feed locally, I'd guess.

Resin
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4708598

Thanks for the link Eglantyne, I enjoyed looking at your garden endeavours! You have done a wonderful job, I don't know how you fitted so many roses in. I love the Italianate style, your garden will compliment the house well. I found the next link at the bottom, thanks!

Now I will have to keep up with how it looks this year, rose lust all over again, lol, no good for this climate unless we are lucky to have a warm season.

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #4708718

I am so sorry I forgot to post the second link,a tel.call from our daughter interrupted me.
In case anybody else is interested,this is my story called ' This IS a Rosegarden after alot of Blood,sweat and tears'

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/749779/

Have at least 2 doz.ordered and coming,probably 1 doz.left to plant from last year,plus I will root some of my own...hopefully I will succeed :-)
what about you ?
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #4708821

Oh no don't tempt me, lol, I have half a mind to look at the site I got my last ones from but I have so many other plants waiting for garden space I would be mad (!!) to go there!

I also have pots and pots of lilium and gladiolus species I am growing from seed, plus the rest, lol. OK, I will take a look but a LOOK only! It's getting late here for planting roses, and I still have Variegata di Bologna in a pot but it's turn is coming soon to go in the ground.

http://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4709658

It was 46 last night (8C), buty got up to 21C in the sun this afternoon...

Here are some our winter flowers...

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #4712530

Dale, That's pretty impressive garden bed for Florida.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #4715891

I use generous amounts of amendments...

Patbarr
Sheffield
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4721725

Hi All, I live ten miles from Sheffield at the foot of the Pennines. We're miles from the sea in any direction, but have beautiful countryside with moorland, woods, hills and valleys just a few minutes walk away.

We've had the coldest winter for quite a few years with -10C for a few days in February, but it is looking more spring like now with all the bright spring flowers out and leaves appearing on the crab, hawthorne and quince trees. The weather this week has been mixed to say the least with snow, frost, sun, gales and fog - not really gardening weather!

My favourite plant is my rhubarb - Timperley Early. It grows so fast, probably two or three inches a day at this time of the year and I love the architectural shape of the leaves, the ribs underneath remind me of the arches holding up cathedral ceilings. It also tastes lovely. I'm also waiting for a couple of leaves to get large enough to use as moulds for bird baths as my friends have ordered some after seeing the one I made last year. I think there is a picture of the prototype on one of the threads.
mike_in_NZ
Atawhai,Nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 10a)

April 27, 2008
9:07 AM

Post #4870458

Hi im Mike from Nelson New Zealand. My favourite plant would have to be the Sago Palm (which I have four of) - such an ancient plant!

If anyone would like to know more about New Zealand native plants I will do my best to help.

Cheers

Mike
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2008
9:37 AM

Post #4870464

Hi Mike in NZ right now I am sitting in my son's house in Windsor and there is some thunder outside - which means it's raining, so I know I am back in England, but only until Thursday!
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #4870755

Hi,

My name is Martin and I live in Rødovre (indeed difficult to pronounce) near Copenhagen, Denmark. I grow caudiciform "thick-rooted"/"Pot-bellied" plants - Pachypodium, Adenium and Cyphostemma among others.

Best regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4871180

[quote]Rødovre (indeed difficult to pronounce)[/quote]
It isn't that difficult to pronounce! Just remember to keep the consonants nearly silent . . and you're half way to rødgrød med fløde . . .

Been through Rødovre on the S-tog many times ;-)
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #4875388

Resin, I guess you have been in Høje Taastrup as well, then?;-)

"Many times"? What could bring an Englishman to the Suburbs of Copenhagen? Just heading for the central station?

Best regards,

Martin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #4875548

Davs Martin!

Used to have relatives in København (near Grundtvigs Kirke). Alas no more. Actually, it was mainly the main-line trains (to/from Esbjerg for the DFDS ferry) I was on going through Rødovre, not so often the S-tog though I did go out that way birding (e.g. to see Pungmejse at Porsemose).

Resin
zest
Horsens
Denmark

May 16, 2008
9:41 AM

Post #4958665

Hi Martin. Have not seen you around before, nice to meet you.

Resin and I do write something in Danish from time to time, gets every body here very curious LOL
Never been in Rødovre

Thumbnail by zest

okus

(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2008
9:49 AM

Post #4958677

THought I better Say Hi officially. I'm Carol and now live in darkest Lincolnshire UK, but when I joined Daves we lived in Keller Texas. Confused the pants of everyone when I announced we were moving to New York!
This one is tiny, blink and you'd miss it, but its a great place to live, particularly if you like historic aircraft. The WWII memorial flight is located a couple of miles away and regularly overflies our garden.
okus

(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4958681

PS to the above - Im not a native Texan - we moved there from Buckinghamshire in the UK. I'm actually a Tyke, born in the East Riding of Yorkshire, but I was a service brat and married a serviceman, so I've had a very mobile life!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

May 16, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #4958693

Hi Okus
Nice to meet you as well :o))

Ups did not know there was a New York in the UK. Live and learn LOL
Must be nice to see the old aircraft flying around :o)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2008
10:24 AM

Post #4958704

okus, Keller is twice the size of Dime Box, TX, but only half the size of Dale, TX.

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5115297

Hello I´m Sylvia from Sweden, I can´t live without pelargoniums
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #5115525

Hejsan til hinsidan!;-) Hello Sylvia and welcome.

I don't have any Pelargoniums but some of them do have nice thickened stems. You see, I am more into caudex shape than flowers.;-)

@ Zest: I am lurking in the "Caudiciforms Forum" here on Dave's Garden. Nice to meet you, too.:-)

Best regards,

Martin

Potagere

June 20, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #5131763

Greetings from France, the eastern slopes of the Jura, above Geneva and the Rhone.
My must have plant (of the moment): Heuchera "Sparkling Burgundy"
My can't do without plant: Raspberries, any variety, can't ever have too many
My "hate the thing" plant: Lisseron/morning glory/common or field bindweed
Potagere
zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 11, 2008
10:39 AM

Post #5398280

Hi Martin
Oh that´s why I have not seen you around did not know there was Caudiciforms Forum LOL

Hi Potagere :o))
Sigh your area must be wonderful :o)) sounds very romantic :o)

Thumbnail by zest

Terri1948
Yorkshire

August 11, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5398430

Hello from North East England (not too far from 'Old' York, LOL).

The decorative plant I could least live without in my own garden is the beautiful bearded iris.
The food plant I would absolutely hate to be without is the potato (sorry, that's actually 2 plants but people do tend to forget how important the humble 'spud' is. If I had to choose just one plant from all the plants in all the world the potato would win hands down.

The plant I dislike most is the awful 'Mare's tail' weed (don't know it's latin name). What an absolute pain to try to get rid of!!

Terri

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5398580

[quote]don't know it's latin name[/quote]
Hippuris vulgaris.
Potagere

August 11, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5399011

Hi zest, here's the winter view from here. Not too 'romantic', but very nice, we think.

Hi Terri! Nice to see you here. Don't know that weed! I guess I am lucky and only have bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) and horsetail (Equisetum telmateia).

Thumbnail by Potagere

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5399117

Nice view with the Alps in the distance!

That tall tree in the middle distance is Abies alba I guess?

Resin
Terri1948
Yorkshire

August 11, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5399137

Thanks Resin! Guess it had to have something nasty in it's name, LOL
'Vulgaris' suits it, but then so would 'Horribilis' :o)

Hi Jim! We-e-e-e-ell 'Mare's tail', 'Horsetail', 'Rat's Tail' same difference I suppose, all a total PAIN when it comes to weeding them out.
Hey, that is a spectacular (and very romantic) view from where I'm sitting.
Ugh!! Convolvulus arvensis - I call it the 'strangler plant' hehehe

Terri
Potagere

August 11, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5399236

Actually, Resin, I'm not sure. I'll have to wander down to the Chateau (it originally belonged to a niece of Napoleon) and have a look.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2008
9:48 AM

Post #5407403

I quite like Convolvulus arvensis with its pretty striped flowers - photo attached. I can forgive it for climbing into the lavender and adding to the display. It's the Calystegias I fear!! There's hardly any down here, but my garden was overrun in the UK.

Thumbnail by philomel

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5414618

I am not here>

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5419198

I am back, we just drove up to Canada, Niagara Falls and passed through a bit of the smoky mountains - I would tell everyone to go and have a look , AB FAB. Oh Yes the Falls were great too!
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2008
6:48 AM

Post #5434711

Hi. I'm Pat(rick) George. Born and bred in Northampton, England; but my mum came from Dublin. Lived in London; Kent; Harrow; Buckinghamshire; and Devon. Two years ago, aged seventy, moved to my wife's native Finland. I'm on a massive learning curve! Love growing veg, but in Finnish wwinter I'm reduced to mustard and cress on the windowsill. Sorry to nominate two, but tomatoes and runner beans; both of which I'm strugglinng with over here,
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 19, 2008
9:01 AM

Post #5434800

You are a brave soul to make the move from the south to the north. Here in the USA we usually do the opposite at retirement.

When I retire I was considering a move to China, that would drive my family crazy (:-)

England is too crowded anyway>

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5436603

Dale
what beautiful Solenostomen-Coleus on your picture wanted...wanted...wanted :o)

I love convolvulus and Calystegias, but must grow them in pots, they are diffucult weed here and my husband don´t want it in the garden.

I love caudex too.
~Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren

Potagere

August 19, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5437096

Hey,
Since philomel and hobbyodlaren are so fond of convovulus, I'll make you the same offer I made Gerris2: you can come here and take away the top meter of as much of my garden as you want, and you'll have convovulus to last 10 lifetimes!

~patgeorge: dmail me if you want seed for some tomatoes that will probably work even in Nurmo!

Potagere
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5442345

Hi Frages
do you have any picture to show you 'beautiful garden' *lol*

Potagere

August 20, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5442581

Sure, but I'm not sure you'll spot the lovely convovulus, as this was taken earlier in the year!

Thumbnail by Potagere

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5453391

Richard, Very clever product.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #5453470

A bit too much like spam for my liking, though. Too many commercial advertising links.

[edit: the above refers to a now-removed spam post]

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 10:23 PM
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5453540

Resin,

The 'powers that be' have made it clear that you are not supposed to advertise yourself on this site. It is OK to let someone else point out you product/service.

I agree with you that it is spam.

And this is another opportunity to post a photo...

Potagere

August 22, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5453752

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 6:52 AM
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5453797

Potagere, it was removed by Admin.
Potagere

August 22, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5453853

OK, I guess I missed it!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5454033

Potagere,

You didn't miss a thing.

Photo OP, we are in San Francisco in this photo>

zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 23, 2008
10:23 AM

Post #5455893

Hi Potagere

Oh that is very petty, is it mountains in the background or clouds? Looks like mountains :o)

Hi Patgeorge, can imagine the difficulties growing tomatoes in Filands, but runner beans as well? Love those a lot :o))

My first tomato plant, with tomatoes!!! Grown in free land (black krim)
a very happy woman :o))

Thumbnail by zest

zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 23, 2008
10:26 AM

Post #5455899

Dale what plant is it (the tall greenish one)

looks very different

Thumbnail by zest

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5457011

My variegeated tomatoes new for this year, but grown in my porsch. delicious.
Sylvia

Potagere

August 23, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5457092

Wow! Gorgeous! What variety is that?
I don't own a porsch; can I grow them in a Nissan? :))

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5457099

I can't grow tomatoes here. I've only got a bike, and that's not enough.

;-)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5457248

Zest, this photo http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5453540 is the flower stalk of an Agave.

Sylvia, that is an extraordinary tomato.

I just planted mine this week, should have some fruit by the New Year. Tomato, pepper, beans etc are winter crops for me.

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5457720

Hi Potagere it called Tomato variegated heirloom from summerhill seeds
Originating from Ireland. It is a pity to use your Nissan. You have warmer climate than me in Sweden I think you can grow tomatoes with success out in the garden.
Resin it is to rainy in UK? :o)

Thank you Dale it not only beautiful foliage on it. The fruit was also very good to eat. :o)
My growing season is soon end here.

Sylvia

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5457845

Too rainy, too cold.

A couple of years ago, even tried some under cover (small plastic greenhouse) - by the middle of September, the first two tomatoes were turning greeny-orange. And that was all the crop there was.

Resin
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5458026

Do they have any luck in Southumberland?

Kew>

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5458168

They have some luck a little north of Southumberland!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5458273

Wallaby, That would be you, perhaps?

PS Got some seed on my Philippine Lily this year. Thanks to you!

France>

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5458335

Wallaby is in "Southumberland" (i.e., south of the Humber), not north of it!

Resin
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5458353

Uhu, Black Krim and Hardy Tom some ripened already, others now turning but I haven't got loads this year as it was a very cold start.

Good going on the philipps! Not self compatible either, unless you have two from different parentage but mine was the only one in flower at the time. The plants from it's seed I grew last year are not huge yet but I have some buds! The original is making buds now.

My garden>

Thumbnail by wallaby1

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5458378

Ah well Resin, that would depend on how far south you go!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5458423

We will see if the pod produces viable seed. It was planted next to a Longiflorum x Asiatic. See below>

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #5458498

Nice, even nicer if they crossed! Have you got a shot of the philipps flowers?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5458878

Missed them.

They are out at the nursery I started. I only go out on Sat, Sun & Tues (sometimes). I often forget to bring the camera. I have an automatic sprinkler and use time release fertilizer, all I have to do is weed, pot up and spend time trying to sell the plants.

zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 24, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #5460199

Dale now you are showing of LOL, planting tomatoes in winter
(thinking; wish it was me smells of envy doesn’t LOL)

Resin; my tomatoes are also grown outside, and you know the weather her.
There’s been lots of rain lately, so I´m just hoping for some sun to get them red.

Janet; a very futuristic garden? ;o)))

Thumbnail by zest

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2008
10:15 AM

Post #5460205

I would gladly move to a cooler climate if I could find work there...

zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 24, 2008
10:28 AM

Post #5460221

So pretty :o)))

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #5460355

[quote]Resin; my tomatoes are also grown outside, and you know the weather here.[/quote]
Yep, you're warmer than here in summer (and colder in winter). Think of trying to grow tomatoes outdoors in Hvide Sande, and you'll get the idea ;-)
Potagere

August 24, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5461223

Resin, want some seeds for Polar Baby? I seeded those indoors in February, set the pots outside (this is a determinate, so I grow it in pots, which stay warmer than the ground, anyway, and can be brought inside if necessary) in April, started picking tomatoes on my birthday in May, and it will produce until frosts. Another good one is Silvery Fir Tree, also grown in pots. I planted it directly in pots on June 1st, have been picking tomatoes since late July and it's just about done, because it hates the heat!
I've a friend in Edinburgh who grows tomatoes outside and always gets a good crop. Not sure what he's planting.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5465588

Tropical hibiscus>

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 25, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5465988

Hello - Rosie here :-)). I always start my tomatoes off in January but keep them wrapped up in a propagtor until the weather is really warm. If they get too big for the propagator - and iv'e got a BIG propagator, I move them into the house which seems to me to be the same temperature as my propagator because my partners elderly father likes it that way. I always get an amazing crop of toms and this year was picking my first fruits in early June - a bit of a cue for this neck of the woods. These were San Mazano which I had grown for the first time - I was really proud too. The weather here is abysmal. I think we got one week of nice dry weather - in April.
Potagere

August 25, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5466225

I find that the biggest problem with tomatoes is not heat (there are always ways to provide that, either in a propagator, greenhouse or with eldercare :)) but light. Most tomatoes like long days, so, especially when they are seedlings, some kind of prolonged lighting usually has to be provided.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 25, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5466767

S'funny Potagere, I haven't had a problem with this. They get a bit leggy to start with but then when I plant them in the grow bags they just seem to get stronger. I don't know whether or not it's better to start them off this early - a lot of people start them off much later and still get good results. I suppose tomatoes are just something I really can't wait to plant.
Potagere

August 26, 2008
8:16 AM

Post #5468877

Well, Rosie, if it's working, that's what matters!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

August 27, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #5473382

Resin; Oh Hvide Sande, that says it all ;o)
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 31, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5491174

Hello - I am Judi and I live in Portland, Oregon. It have enjoyed reading all your postings. My favorite growing thing are cherry trees - the blossoms are so beautiful in spring!
Here in Oregon tomatoes grow very well - mine are beginning to turn red. I will probably have about 60 tomatoes at the same time so maybe I will make tomato paste and freeze it.
I am interested to know opinions regarding our coming presidential elections - are we allowed to discuss that on DG?

Terri1948
Yorkshire

August 31, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5491210

Hi Judi!
I don't think political discussions are allowed on the message boards at all.

I agree about the cherry trees too, they are so beautiful, as are all trees in blossom.
Lucky you to have a good crop of tomatoes!

:o)

Terri
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 31, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5491222

I guess I will not mention politics!

I am happy about my tomatoes but the cucumbers are not so great. I will be lucky to get one!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 31, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5491255

Yep, only got 1 myself this year portland. Tomatoes grand though.
Potagere

September 1, 2008
7:21 AM

Post #5493174

This year I have been growing "Lemon" cucumber, "New Horse Silver" (an open-pollinated Korean cucumber" and "White Star" (an Oriental Hybrid cucumber). While I wait for tomatoes to ripen, I have more cucumbers than I can eat or give away.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #5493358

Just ordered a pack of "crystal apple" cukes for next year Pot. They are yellow too. I'm determined to do better next year.
:-)) Rosie
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 1, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5493677

I am growing lemon cucumbers and pickling cucumbers but neither are doing well. We are not having a great growing season here. As a matter of fact it has been snowing at 5000 ft elevation in Oregon. We are not ready for winter yet! I hope my tomatoes have a chance to ripen.
Meanwhile I am watching a hurricane hit New Orleans on television. That poor city.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5494212

It feels quite autumnal here in Ireland too Judi. No snow yet though. Mind you I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what natures got in store for us next. We had a rainstore this afternoon which looked more like hail! In September?
BTW I personally don't have any views on any country's political shenannigans. It's one of those subjects that makes me want to curl up and hibernate LOL.
I haven't seen the news today. Poor New Orleans. Hope it doesn't get too bad.
Rosie
Potagere

September 1, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5494290

I looked those "Crystal Apple" cucumbers up on the Web and almost every photo was identical to the 'Lemon' Cucumbers growing in my garden. These and the Korean cucumbers are all I grow anymore. They are prolific, fairly resistant to mildew, have almost 0 bitterness and retain crunchiness even when you "overlook" one until it has grown big enough to replace the family pet!
It's not looking too bad for N'Orleans, but other parts of Louisiana are gonna have it tough this time around! And also looks like the "Elephant Party" has turned Gustav into a "political shenanigan"! We NEED more tomatoes!!!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5494639

LOL pot. If my cukes got as big as my dogs I would be seriously worried - even the little one. All those perfect fruits look exactly the same - photo opportunity for retouched veg . Seed companies just have no imagination. Want to swap some cukes for a boat load of San Mazano?
Do your cukes grow outside or in the greenhouse?
Rosie
Potagere

September 1, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5494659

Well, imp, my cukes aren't retouched, and they do look like those photos! I just went and checked the fridge! I'm growing them outside now; in the greenhouse in winter. Next summer I will probably grow only the NHS open-pollinated cuke because I am running out of seed and don't want it to cross. I'm lucky; my neighbours only grow the cucumber plants I give them!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5494697

Have ordered Sakamari, a Japanese cucumber so maybe I wil have more luck next year. I haven't grown cukes outside for years. Hand polinating old telegraph types was just too tedious but there was always a good crop.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 1, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5494758

Next year I may try a Japanese cucumber. I will also hand pollinate. Maybe it is time to help out Mother Nature a little. I love lemon cukes but this year is just not a good one here.
Potagere - are you French or an American? I am not a member of that "Elephant" party and after their choice of a mate nothing would surprise me. They are an embarrassment to our country. Despite that, they may be the successful party this year - frightening!
Can I grow cukes indoors?
Potagere

September 1, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5494794

I'll be interested in how those do. Not least because they are green.

I've given up on green cucumbers in recent years because I can't take the bitterness and seem to lose the plants to mildew about when they start to produce well. I occasionally buy an "English" (I think these are the 'telegraph' type??) cucumber at the store.

Another thing I like about the NHS is that it keeps making me think it is "parthenocarpic", because it thrives in a closed greenhouse in winter without hand pollination; but then, it does not seem to lose quality in open-pollinated conditions where it is visited by numerous pollinators. I wish I knew or could find out more about it. It is just a super cucumber!
Potagere

September 1, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5494807

I'm American living in France, Portland1; originally from Spokane. No, no, no!!! Donkeys must rule!!!!

I grow cukes in my greenhouse all winter. So does my sister-in-law in Spokane. The Korean cukes (and even the Lemons) don't seen to require high temps so long as it never gets much under 50 US. Light is more critical; they need good, strong light for at least 6 to 8 hours each day. The windowsill probably won't work.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5495394

Hmm strange! You have animals running the country in the US. In the UK they're more like vegetables. Survive better in an enclosed space, come in various hues but all look the same and don't function at all when there's a half an inch of snow on the ground.
Potagere

September 1, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5495422

That is a totally unfair image of vegetables, imp!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5495456

I know but it was funny :-))
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5495544

Pot, when did you start putting "JIm" after your handle? I've only just noticed it.
Potagere

September 1, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5495554

I just learned how to do it!!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5495578

LOL, How's that then. I don't know either.
Potagere

September 1, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5495603

All you have to do is go into your member page and where you put the city and state, put your name wherever you want it: at the end or the beginning, in brackets; and it will show up if you'd like to have your name there.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5495669

?
Potagere

September 1, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5495692

??
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 1, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5495697

Oh Bum.I'll try it tomorrow.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 2, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5499041

I tried putting my name in and can't do it. ?
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5499068

ha ha
I did it
~Sylvia

Potagere

September 2, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5499079

Go to [Your] Homepage
Click on "Manage Your Preferences"
Then, on the second "drop down" menu on the right, click on "Your Location"
Then, in the first box (labeled "Your City"), put your name wherever you want it: at the end or the beginning, in brackets
Mine looks like this: (Jim) Farges

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5499084

? Even my question mark didn't show up
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5499103

OK I did that
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5499107

LOL Wicked!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5499118

Or maybe not ... I lost my town :-((
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5499131

We're cooking with gas!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 2, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5499385

Ah ha, my Berkheya seedlings have just poked their noses out of the compost.

Thumbnail by roseimp

snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
9:52 AM

Post #5501707

Hello I am from Norway. South in Norway, where we have a little bit longer summer then in the north.
I am wild with caudiform, tropical, Ipomoea, colocasia. I have a hearth for variegated plants in general.
I have just been interested in pond and aquarium and the plants who go there.
We have a greenhouse, a winter garden and a room in the basement to grow new seed.
I haven’t been very active here in posting, mostly because I am a little bit insecure on the language and the grammar in English, but I read the post in Daves garden most every day. :-)
Potagere

September 3, 2008
10:34 AM

Post #5501759

Hello snotta,
Nice to hear from you. Not to worry!!! Your English is just fine! Good enough for us gardeners!
I'd like to hear more about your garden!
snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5502505

We live just by the sea, we build the house five years ago.
My garden is in change every year.
In the beginning I have a lot of summer flower, but now it is mostly perennial and bulbs.
I have a lot of canna seed, hosta and heuchera that hopefully will do my garden nicer next year. We have done all buy our self in the garden, when we moved here it was only stone, stone and stone again.
I think in the end of next season the garden will be like we wanted.
We have many levels in our garden, I love that. When you don’t know what the next level is hiding.
Next year I will build a brand new pond, and around that pond I would have a lot of cannas.
Here is a picture of one of the ponds we build this year.

Thumbnail by snotta

snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5502513

One more pond

Thumbnail by snotta

snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5502518

My greenhouse

Thumbnail by snotta

snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5502524

Some of the perennial

Thumbnail by snotta

snotta
Lillesand
Norway

September 3, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5502530

More

Thumbnail by snotta

Potagere

September 3, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5502791

snotta, Oh, I am SO envious!!! Maybe Ms Marta, the 4 cats, the dog & I will come live with you!!!
I'd five anything for that seaview!
The stone (slate?) pond is wonderful. How do you get your cannas to grow so big? I have a 'Durban', which is supposed to be very large, beside my pond, but it's no bigger than my minis!!!
I see you have the translucent plastic in your greenhouse. I should have done that!!! I bought glass because the plastic was too expensive, but now it really overheats in the summer!
We have also been in our house 5 years, but we are not so advanced in our landscaping as you are. We are also doing it all ourselves.

Thumbnail by Potagere

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 3, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5503048

snotta and potagere - you both have lovely gardens. Here in Portland I have a very small city - size garden and I wish I had more space. My garden is very full and I just yesterday placed 3 large pots of bamboo to make a screen between my house and the neighbor. snotta do you grow vegetables? When I was in Oslo I fell in love with the sod roofs - very beautiful!
Potagere

September 3, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5503103

My memories of Portland are from 1967-1968.
Not the same place (as is nowhere) I am sure.
We got this place primarily because in our last "semi-permanent" home, I could not plant anything new without digging out an old friend! Now, I am running in place keeping up with things---and it is still more than 1/2 untamed!
Any photos, Portland?
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 3, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5503457

Just a quickie in case you don't hear from me for a few days. Seems like the arthritis I have on one knee may be a blood clot. I am off to hospital but all is not lost. I have packed a suitcase which includes all the things I will need for a short stay. In my experience, if you come prepared, they will kick you out.
Take care.
Rosie :-))
Potagere

September 3, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5503514

Best of luck, rose!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 4, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5507498

Rose, take care.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 5, 2008
8:12 AM

Post #5510485

See I told you! The "bags packed and ready for anything" trick works every time. Thanks for kind thoughts Pot and Portland1. It did the trick! Seems I have what's called a "Baker's cyst" which will disperse over time. No gardening for a while though :-((
Anyway, enough of that. While I had time to think (several hours over several days in waiting rooms does that for a person), I realised that I hadn't been following the thred of this forum - not paying attention as they used to tell me at school.
SOOOO - favorite plant I can't do without has got to be the tomato, not least because I'm good at growing it and getting a really good crop. Can't say that about other things though.
What great pics Pot, sylvia, zest and everyone who posted them. Sorry can't post one of my garden - work in progress :-))
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 5, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #5510807

But you might like one of my view.

Thumbnail by roseimp

Potagere

September 5, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5510876

So nice!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 6, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5516533

Thanks Pot :-))
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2008
7:17 AM

Post #5519348

I think this is product advertising!!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
7:26 AM

Post #5519359

I've just reported another copy of the same spam post by the same person - it'll get deleted as soon as an admin comes along.

Resin
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 7, 2008
7:44 AM

Post #5519372

Don't have a problem with not enough water :-((
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 7, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5520071

I finally read through all the posts and I didn't know I was supposed to name my favorite plant. That's easy - right now my tomatoes are my favorite, and when they are finished my favorite will be whatever vegetable I plant next. I am a fickle woman.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5520210

[quote]Don't have a problem with not enough water :-(([/quote]
Me too.

Here's the school playing field across the road from home.

Anyone wants some of it, you're welcome. There's more on the way in a few days.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 7, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5520408

LOL resin - might we sell some to our chinese friend? How much do plastic bags cost these days?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5520493

[quote]How much do plastic bags cost these days?[/quote]
They're still free over here, littering everywhere :-((
Wish we had the same regulations about them that you do in Ireland!

Resin
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 7, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5520755

I got them coming out of my ears - originally from UK so I guess that explains it. At the moment got at least 50 under the sink. Note: Need to be more organised.
Hey Resin, how do you do that funny boxy/quote thing?
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 7, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5520778

Resin - looks kind of like Oregon - lots of rain!
EricKnight
Brussels
Belgium

November 12, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5782762

I'm living in Brussels, Belgium currently. My favorite plant genus ... Brugmansia. Three of my favorites: Kaitlyn, Anja, Wupperstolz.
http://www.engelstrompeten.de/wupperstolz.htm

I put this link above to wupperstolz, but they also have Anja as well if you look here.
http://www.engelstrompeten.de/anja.htm

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5782963

Resin, how do you do the frame around you text. I know a little about HTML, but everything dos´nt work on this forum I have notice.

Post #5520493

Best regards Sylvia

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5782975

I watch this tread, nice with europe-people here, which I can trade plants with. I think the most people are from US here on DG, nothing agaist them, I love americans and all other people too.

But I can´t receive any plants from other countries outside EU.

I collect and love hippestrum/Amaryllis, pelargoniums, Hibiscus, Oxalis, caudex, Dioscorea, Plectranthus. And the most plants for garden too. Well I think Iove the most,

but my favourites is hippeastrum.

Sylvia

www.hobbyodlaren.com

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008 7:32 PM
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5783374

Well, I'm Dutch, but I live in Belgium.
I prefer plants that are hardy in my zone (6) and are out of the ordinary.
Ofcourse there are ordinary plants that are beautiful and so I will grow them.
Most of the Belgium gardeners live in a 7 or even 8 zone. I live in a small part of Belgium that used to be called 'Schneifel', that means there is always a lot of snow in winter. It is not as bad now as it used to be 30 years ago, but we have a pretty rough climate and snow until end of April is not unusual. The growing season is rather short here, so I hope to exchange seeds with other people who have the same conditions. I found out that especcially people from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe have a lot of plants that are quite unknown at DG. So if anyone wants to exchange seeds with me, please have a look at my have list. I'm also working at a second list: seeds I have only a few of and are not so common.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #5783495

I live in Florida now, and have just started getting into Brugs, I have six plants waiting to go into the garden and a couple already doing very well. Also Plumeria - but these are all good for my sub tropical climate - it's over 82*F here today which is about 28*C - I love it.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5783523

To do the quote frame: before the text to quote, put

(quote)

and after:

(/quote)

except use SQUARE brackets, not curved ones (also not the triangular ones usually used in html, either)

Resin
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5783547

Resin, I do not understand your post at all. Did I do something wrong? English is not my motherlanguage.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5783645

Jonna,

Resin's last message was meant for Eric Knight. You are doing good with English.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5785581

No I think it was meant for me the message from Resin, I had ask him a question.
Thank you Resin I will try now, Sylvia
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5785584

[quote]I try again, YEEEESSS I made It. Thank you so much[/quote]

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 1:14 PM

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 1:16 PM

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 1:17 PM
bluebunn
Rutledge, TN

January 1, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #5953491

TULIPS, TULIPS, TULIPS! How much better could it be here in East Tennessee in the spring than to be greeted by over 2000 tulips when I open my front door? Well, anyway, that is how many I planted in the autumn ( not including all the OTHER bulbs I sunk into the earth). Maybe it comes from my Dutch ancestors (Osterhouts), but I simply cannot do without my tulips!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

January 2, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #5957680

Happy New Year bluebunn - it's too cold even for tulips here. Miserable time of year in Ireland. nothing is flowering except my mahonia bush :-((
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #5957716

http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/#131

The holidays are over, but, the plants are hanging on for awhile yet.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #5957722

I always enjoy the colors of winter.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #5957725

The plants of winter will not survive the summer.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #5957730

We do have a few winter bloomers - bougainvillea and a Euphorbia shrub

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #5957738

Some folks do things simple

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #5957744

Some folks like to do a little more

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #5957755

And sometimes they are over the top

bluebunn
Rutledge, TN

January 3, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #5958389

Roseimp- It is still too cold here, nothing will come up till Spring. But when it does, Wow!
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #5965542

Well it´s cold now, here in Sweden tonight we have -17 degree Celsius. (1,4 degree Farenheit)
So I freeze outside, but it have been a very beautiful sunny day I took this picture for a couple of days ago.
Longing for spring soon and wish for a long long hot summer.
But soon in a couple of weeks I have going on with my seedsowing.
/ Cherio from Sylvia

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2009

Post #5965739

More Christmas decor>

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 4, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #5966152

It is interesting to see the Florida winter plants but I would go crazy without the change in seasons! It is 30 degrees here in Portland, Oregon and most of the trees and plants are bare and the snow comes and goes. There is frost in the mornings and lots of hail and rain. I love the transition from fall to winter and then from winter to spring - keeps us connected to Mother Nature!

Thumbnail by Portland1

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 4, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #5966158

crab apple tree

Thumbnail by Portland1

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

January 6, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #5974163

Very pretty Portland. We have no snow at the moment but temperatures down to minus 11 last night Hobbyodlaren and everywhere has been frozen solid all day. I'm waiting to start my tomatoes and peppers off in the propagator but it's going to have to wait until the outside temperature rises a little.
Dale stop annoying me with your sunshine LOL
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 6, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #5974297

Minus 11 degrees - is that C or F? Either way, it is really cold there! Today it is about 40 degrees and rainy. I went outside to tie up a few branches that are looking distressed since the wind is supposed to pick up. So far it looks as though the rest of my yard has survived the 15" of snow but we'll see what the remaining weeks of winter will bring! I am considering turning my 103 year old garage into a greenhouse since it was built for a carriage and won't accommodate a car anyway. I would love to have a place to start seedlings for vegetables.
Dale, your photos are beautiful.
I started reading this thread months ago and somehow lost touch but I do like hearing what people around the world are doing. Happy New Year! I'm hopeful that for my country it will be a better year.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #5974357

Rose,

I would shoot a photo on a cloudy day, but, we haven't had one in awhile and we do need rain badly. It hasn't rained decently in 4 months.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 6, 2009

Post #5974373

Dale, it is starting to snow big fat snowflakes. I didn't realize it was cold enough. The skiing is great and only 90 minutes away! However, just a few days of your sunshine would be nice.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #5974376

Here it is -15°C (+5°F). Usually we have these temperatures in February, but freezing started here on December 29. The week before I winter sowed a lot of seeds for the first time.
Being so cold here, I love to see pictures of plants in warmer zones. I can't grow them here. But on the other hand, I can grow plants that would not survive in the heath.

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #5974408

We could use some cooler weather, we have been 10* F above normal. Hot and muggy is not pleasant year round. I am considering moving back to San Francisco, CA just to get the seasons back into my life.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 6, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #5974487

I moved to Oregon from San Francisco almost a year ago. Dale, where in SF did you live?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 6, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #5974511

Potrero Hill>

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #5975139

[quote]Minus 11 degrees - is that C or F?[/quote]
In Ireland, °C.

Here (NE England), -3 this morning, and sleet this evening.

Resin

PS this thread is getting rather long (over 260 posts) . . . does someone want to start volume 2?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #5975200

Here you go - part 2.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/940665/
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6425912

Im from Palm Coast, Florida. My must have plant in the garden, the one I would absolutely let everything else go for is my Giant Crimson Mandevilla

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM
BIRDS IN THE GARDEN Patbarr 265 Apr 28, 2007 9:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America