Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: what is this bug

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2002
11:04 PM

Post #41508

Black, eats everything, about 1" long grown. Here is a side view of the gray belly. http://davesgarden.com/editgj/showimage.php?iid=10329

Thumbnail by tiG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2002
11:22 PM

Post #338875

Margined blister beetle. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forages/rotational/Fun/Mrgnd.blister.btle.jpg
Edited to add link.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 26th 7:24 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2002
11:47 PM

Post #338899

how do I get rid of them????
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 27, 2002
1:12 AM

Post #339004

Orthene works, Pyrethrum will knock them down, but not get rid of them. DON"T TOUCH them. Remember that nasty blister I got last year? (from sitting on one) The leg joints contain a chemical called cantharidin which causes blisters when you get it on your skin. Wear long sleeves and long pants if you are going to be close to them.
The adults of this beetle are plant eaters but the larva parasitize grasshopper eggs.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2002
3:56 AM

Post #339246

Cala, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get rid of them or not now. They destroyed my tomatoes. Then my sweet autumn clematis. Then I found them on my St Vincents vine, and then this evening they were covering my pink cestrum. We got out the ant spray, it's the only thing they reacted to. But if the larvae are good, then did I cause myself a problem with grasshoppers???? Mine is 99% flowers, what would you have done, killed as many as possible or leave them alone????
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 27, 2002
12:19 PM

Post #339427

TiG, they've probably already laid their eggs, so the larvae will still take care of some grasshoppers. The book recommends killing the adults, they are a crop pest. They can strip your plants. They almost killed my Japanese anemones. I vote to spray them!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America