Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Shed: Sprinklers

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 12, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2002
12:57 AM

Post #41532

We have a small yard and several flower beds in it, and we'd like to get a sprinkler to move from place to place rather than having to stand out there with the hose to water. I know...Why we've owned our house three years and are just now getting a sprinkler, don't ask me! ;)

What inexpensive brands are the best? By inexpensive, I mean around $15 and under if possible. Is the kind which sprays the water in circles more effecient than the kind which just rotates in the one spot and makes an arc of water?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 27, 2002
2:35 AM

Post #339135

Kimberley, I have not found a good sprinkler yet. It seems they only last one year and are shot. I have a friend watching at rummage sales for some of the old metal ones. These plastic jobbies now seem to be stuck in one position more often than they are going around like they are supposed to. I have to keep watching out the window to see if they are still moving or drowning one area.

I hope someone can recommend something. I'll be watching this thread too.
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2002
4:47 AM

Post #339283

we have had so many sprinklers it is funny. dh and i can not agree on which one we like better. he waters the lawn so he uses the one that shots it out and rotates. i can't explain that one lol. i like my plastic one that i got at walmart i think. it has an assortment of sprayers you turn the head and pick the design you want at the time. that works best for me in the beds. then i pick and choose who likes more water who doesn't. i think this one was around $5. and have had it for 2 yrs now.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2002
7:49 PM

Post #339758

Sears has a great one for $20.
Waters 360 degrees. We have two of them.

Paul

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2002
9:55 PM

Post #339860

Now's probably an excellent time to pick one up - a lot of places are doing seasonal clearance on gardening "stuff". When I visited my mom, we hit Ace and Tru Value hardware; both had their lawn/garden stuff on sale.

I've lost my favorite sprinkler. It's a plain-jane, brass one that sits down on the ground, and sprays water about 3-5 feet high, covering an area about 6' in diameter. No moving parts, nothing to wear out or rust. Last summer, I'd set it where I wanted it to water, set my stove timer for 15 or 20 minutes, then go move it. (It gave me some exercise to get up and move it every few minutes, AND I didn't have to worry about it getting stuck in one position and blasting some hapless plants :)

The tractor-type sprinklers work pretty good too as long as the grass isn't too thick, or the terrain too bumpy.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2002
11:30 PM

Post #339931

That's what I'm looking to do, Vols, exactly. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2002
2:52 AM

Post #341823

I have to water from overhead, because of all the tall plants. I found this copper circle thing (nice description?) on a riser of about 4' at Walmart for $12.00. When the water is turned on, the circle spins around for a pattern. Only problem is it doesn't go very far. So I cut the circle thing off and sodered on a connection to accept a knocker head. This combination really works and is strong with the copper tubing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2002
11:39 AM

Post #342057

Kimberly, I just got an old-fashioned circular sprinkler for a client. It's brass, and has adjustable nozzel tips that go from fine to almost a stream, and you can vary the pressure to water from 6 feet to 45 feet in diameter. I have to go over there today and I'll get the name.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2002
5:22 PM

Post #342252

Golddog - good idea using that decorative one for a better use!

Darius - how much was it?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2002
8:32 PM

Post #342413

Kimberly, I didn't get over there today afterall, so it will be Tuesday. It was around $25, but at the most expensive garden store around. Probably $15-18 most other places. I want one for myself as they are made so well, and will try to find a source online. I'm sooo tired of throwing away plastic ones!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2002
4:31 AM

Post #343409

I have a brass one shaped like a fish. It is stationary, with a metal spike you push into the ground and has a spray pattern of about a 12 foot circle. I bought it at Joanne Fabric(go figure!!) after summer sale for about $5 and got one shaped like a frog as a gift for a friend (several years ago.) I bent the spike this year( that ground was REALLY dry!!!)but it works well still.Go for the brass rather than plastic I think. MW
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2002
4:40 AM

Post #343413

I found an impact sprinkler at Wal-Mart on clearance for $9.97 (normally $14.95). It is made of all metal (nickel, I think) with a big spike you can stick down into the ground. It looks like it has a good variety of spray patterns possible, so I'm excited to give 'er a whirl tomorrow. :D And what's nice about Wal-Mart is, I know they'll take it back no questions asked if I hand 'em that nice receipt.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2002
9:27 PM

Post #357832

Kimberly... I've had the info. (sitting buried on my desk ) about the solid brass sprinkler I got for a client. Just found it, so here it is, even if you did already get a new one, LOL.

Sherman Thompson
"The Premier Line"
PRS-120

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America