Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What Are These?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 9, 2001
11:15 PM

Post #4690

These are growning wild on the hillside behind my house. Would love to know what they are. Can they be transplanted? They are actually just on the other side of our property line and my neighbor sometimes cuts all the things down in that area :-( (it is close to his garden) I know he wouldnt mind me digging them up and transplanting them if they can be transplanted... Thanks Gayl

Thumbnail by Gayl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2001
11:39 PM

Post #73664

Trilliums, I'd say. They'd have three leaves, and are an appalachian woodland plant. I have transplanted several and they have done well.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
1:38 PM

Post #73757

Definitely trilliums. I don't know how they transplant but they require moist woodland soil to thrive. Make sure you have a spot that's similar to the one they're growing in. I'd try just a few to see how they do before I'd dig a whole bunch. You wouldn't want to loose them all.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 10, 2001
2:36 PM

Post #73763

Thanks poppysue and darius for the information. It will be a big help since I already ask my neighbor if I can get them. Would hate to see something so beautiful cut down.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2001
3:23 PM

Post #73770

Definitely Trillium; probably T. grandiflorum. Here's a wonderful gallery of Trillium photos that you can use to compare yours to for a postive ID: http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium/gallery.html

Here's a thread on the subject of moving them: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/28891.html

Yes, it was my thread, LOL! I recently had to move some Trilliums myself, and my move was complicated by the fact these poor plants were intertwined with liriope grass. They have a fairly long tuberous root, so dig deep.

If the soil they're in is good woodland soil, try to get a nice large amount of soil with each plant; if not, you can gently remove the dirt by placing them in water and letting it wash away - not recommended unless the soil is yucky (mine was clay.) As PoppySue said, be sure your soil conditions are right for them. I lucked out and had some leaf mould already on hand, and I amended their planting hole with quite a bit of it before I moved them. And they do need dappled shade, like you'd find at the edge of a woodland setting. Good luck!
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2001
5:14 PM

Post #73781

I'm going to visit a friend tonight who grows lots of Trilliums - those on my photo album are her's. I'll ask her when they can be transplanted.

Mark
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 11, 2001
5:32 AM

Post #73919

Thanks go-vols for the link to the pictures of trilliums. Wow didnt know there were so many of them. :-) By looking at the pictures I think it is a trillium undulatum. Also thank you for the link to the thread. It was very interesting. I really learned from it.

Mark --- When you ask your friend about the trilliums let me know what she said. I can use all the help I can get :-)
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2001
7:15 AM

Post #73929

Gayl

I went to my friend as promised last night. She grows dozens of them from really small alpines to the biggest I have ever seen. They come in all colors from pure white thru to palest pink to really deep reds. I was told the ONLY times to move Trilliums is either when the leaves are starting to die down or as soon as their noses appear above ground in the spring.

here are some shots of Trilliums
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1389828&a=12733908&f=0&sp=0

Mark

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2001
11:16 AM

Post #73945

It takes trilliums 7 years to start flowering, so you have hit a jackpot, if a neighbor lets you dig some.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 12, 2001
4:19 AM

Post #74113

Mark -- Thanks for the information. I am keeping an eye on them now. They have already lost their blooms so waiting for the leaves to die down. Got them marked and waiting :-) Also wanted to tell you that you have some BEAUTIFUL flower pictures.

woodspirit1 ---I would have never thought it would take seven years for trilliums to start blooming.
I do feel I have hit the jackpot and even more so after reading your post. My neighbor said that I could have all of them since they are of no interest to him. Other than the bunch that I posted the picture of there are two more smaller bunches close to that one.

Thanks everyone for all your help

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2001
1:20 PM

Post #74150

Gayle, if they're no use to your neighbor, you could always dig them all up and trade some of them...I'd be interested in a couple of them if you have something special you're looking for ;0)

Mine are dying back now, too - I think they survived their untimely move as well as can be expected. I didn't want to move mine when I did, but we were re-doing the bed, and they had to be moved. Plus they were in full sun, next to the driveway - it's a miracle they were growing at all.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 15, 2001
2:53 AM

Post #74667

go-vols ---- Sorry that I havent answered you before now. I have been gone a couple of days and then worked until late tonight. The last time I checked the trilliums they were dying back a bit and havent been able to check them the past few days. Won't be able to check them until tomorrow evening but if they are still where I can get them I will send you a few. Send me you address and if I'm not able to get them this year I will hold on to your address and send you a few next year.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 15, 2001
11:25 PM

Post #74827

go_vols-- Just checked the trilliums and they have died back some. You might have already sent me your address -- cant get into my mail to check and see because they are doing maintance right now I guess. If you havent sent it then send it to me and I will get a few out to you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America