Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What Are These Also?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 9, 2001
11:36 PM

Post #4691

Last year my DH came home with these that a friend of his gave him. We planted them and now they are taking over! They are suppose to have white blooms on them late in the year (that is what he was told) Didn't bloom last year and waiting for them to bloom this year.
They were hiding a small azalea we have so we decided to cut down the ones around it. Low and behold a few days later they were shooting up again! Whatever they might be they are very hardy and grow and spread fast.

Thumbnail by Gayl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2001
1:51 PM

Post #73759

I can't tell. My sister once brought home a wild ground cover cause she thought it was pretty. It looks similar and maybe that's what it is. It ended up being a wild type of bishop's weed - an all green from. It spread like wild fire in no time - taking anything in it's path with it. It was impossible to dig out as it sent out runners that went on forever. If that plant has spread that much in just a year I think you'd be wise to get rid of it now. You might have to remove the good plants you have in the bed and spray it with an herbicide. If you don't it could be a nightmare for years, and years. Plants like that are useful in some areas that can't grow much else but if you're trying to put in a garden it will just give you problems. I've been fighting with horsetail for years now and the horsetail is winning.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 10, 2001
3:06 PM

Post #73767

Thanks Poppysue --- I am going to dig as much as possible up this year and will have to think about removing the plants that is already there and spraying a herbicide. I have a trailing rose growing in the mist of it that has been there for five years, a small azalea, a young snowball bush,lavender and a few other things. I also relize that maybe if I dont spray that it might be like you and your horsetail (a loosing battle)
Everything in the bed I am not so worried about moving but the rose. It's pretty big and not really sure just how to manage moving it. I dont want to take a chance of loosing the rose since it was given to me by my son, but then I might also run the risk of loosing it by leaving these plants in there. Maybe I will just fight with them for a while and see what I can do.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2001
8:27 PM

Post #73821

Gayl, I know this plant! It was growing at a house I rented and just about taking over the whole garden. Unhappily, my memory has taken a dive right now, but hopefully the name of the plant will spring to mind. But don't hold your breath...lol. I do know that it was for sale by the Michigan Plant company in their brochure.
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2001
10:07 PM

Post #73831

Is it pacysandra?
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 11, 2001
5:58 AM

Post #73921

Louisa -- If it comes to mind what this plant is let me know. Also I know the feeling of the memory taking a dive , mine does that quite often LOL

GrannyLois --- If it is pacysandra is that a good thing or a bad thing? :-) I did a search on it and couldn't come up with much.

I removed some of it today from around my rose as was afraid it might smother them. I also have some of it growing in a place by itself. Will let it finish growing this year and when or if it blooms I will post another picture.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2001
12:30 PM

Post #73951

Gayl, try looking for with the search string "pachysandra + photo" (I think that's the correct spelling) and you should get some search results you can compare to your picture.
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

May 11, 2001
8:10 PM

Post #74027

Here is a link with photo for pachysandra.http://www.bhg.com/bhggarden/photos/018.htm
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2001
8:56 PM

Post #74036

I don't think it is pachysandra (but I could be wrong). Somehow I'm thinking a speedwell or a relation of this plant. I still can't think of it and still trying - oh lor!!!
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2001
2:52 AM

Post #74093

Could it possibly be Lysimachia clethroides (Gooseneck Loosestrife)? This is an invasive perennial that grows approximately 2-3 feet tall with racemes of white flowers at the ends of the stems in late summer.
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 12, 2001
3:54 AM

Post #74111

Jerseyguy --- I am sure that you are right. I checked out some pictures on the net and it sure looks like that is it. I went out and pulled one of them up and was going to post a better picture but dont think I have to now :-) With it being an invasive plant should I try to remove it all from my flower bed or just keep it thined out?...Thanks

go-vols -- Thanks for telling me to put photo after the name. I was putting picture and not coming up with much.

Thank all of you for pitching in to get this identified.

I also have to make a correction and apologize for fibbing. Well I did it unintentionally. I said that the DH brought the plant home last year. Well he gladly informed me that it has been two years ago :-( Where does time go LOL Those two years I worked so many hours that I would just go to work and come home and really not notice much.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2001
2:13 AM

Post #74266

Gayle, If its taking over other desirable shrubs and perennials I would yank some out every now and then. If its in an area were little else is growing or where its hard to grow anything else, I would just leave it alone. I've never grown this myself but when in bloom it is quite attractive if it is in fact lysimachia. Take some pics when its in bloom so we can make a positive i.d.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2001
9:16 PM

Post #74387

Gayl does it look like this? If so, then Jerseyguy is quite right!

http://hg.women.com/homeandgarden/plants/lysiclet.htm
Gayl
Julian, WV

May 16, 2001
4:19 AM

Post #74900

Louisa I think Jersyguy is right. I dont remember them blooming so I am not sure what they look like when in bloom. When they do I will post a picture as he suggested to make sure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America