Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Alien Plant from Outerspace??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2001
5:32 PM

Post #4754

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help I.D. a strange looking (plant?) that has invaded my columbine bed. I've never seen anything like it. I found it while cutting off old dead frawns, and it is very invasive. It is vinelike, bright neon yellow-orange in color, and wraps itself tightly around the stems of the frawns. The vine itself is very small in diameter, about the width of a sewing needle. Where it touches the plant, it seems to adhere to it so you can't pull it off the plant. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? If you cut it, it comes back very quickly and can cover a plant in a week or two with these micro tendriles. Any ideas as to what this is, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help!!!
dave

May 11, 2001
6:12 PM

Post #74008

I'll move this over to the Identification forum.

dave
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2001
6:21 PM

Post #74011

Thanks dave!
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2001
6:51 PM

Post #74015

Ladyhawke, just checked my Weed book and it sounds like Dodder...a parasitic vine. In my book, it resembles a long, thin, orange worm with clusters of tiny white flowers here and there. Here's a link, but it hard to tell by their photo.
Jean

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/croplive/cropprot/dodder.htm
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2001
7:09 PM

Post #74017

Thanks Jean for your help! That's it exactly! So far it has only spread to two plants, and I didn't see any flowers. Perhaps, it wont reseed. I have given both plants butch haircuts, and have put discarded foliage in a ziplock in the trash. I'll keep a close watch on the columbine, and if I see any new growth, I will just pull the plants and discard them. Im kinda new to forums, and its nice to have a place where you can share info and ideas. Thanks again for your help!
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2001
8:19 PM

Post #74030

You are welcome, Ladyhawke. I forgot to say, it usually blooms summer and fall. I'm glad your spotted it early and it seems like the haircut was your only choice...hope your columbines spring back and you have no more Dodder seeds appear! Oh yes, welcome to Dave's!!
Jean
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2001
11:02 PM

Post #74061

Wow, that stuff sounds pretty scarey! You could make a movie on that concept of that desciption.

Welcome Ladyhawke. It's nice to be able to post here and have your questions answered so you can at least find a start to the answers you need.

Goodluck with this stuff. Keep us posted as to what happens with it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2001
3:39 AM

Post #74107

I hate that stuff. It got in my fuschia plant a couple summers ago. Ugh. It never bloomed, either. My poor fuschia didn't make it - I didn't get it cut back soon enough and it was pretty well sapped. Grrrrrr. Creepy is right!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2001
6:34 PM

Post #74199

Apparently this is our only beneficial parasitic plant - don't ask me why, but here's a link:-

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?pname=dodder
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2001
7:50 PM

Post #74216

Does economically important mean beneficial? It didn't state any benefits the weed provides. Maybe it means it is important in a negative way like as in very important to try to control it. I don't know, just a thought.
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2001
8:05 PM

Post #74218

Now that I know the name of the thing (THANKS JEAN!!), I've been searching the net for more information on it.
It is kinda beautiful in a delicate sort of way, but too destructive to have in a garden. While acting as a viral agent, it does have some merit, I guess, as an anti-inflamatory. I also learned that American Indians used the plants in a bath for the treatment of tuberculosis. In any case Ill keep you guys updated on the war to eradicate it from my garden. Catcha later!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America