Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Mystery lily

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ky_hummingbird
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2002
1:00 PM

Post #42650

Hi ya'll, this is Melody posting for brand new member ky_hummingbird. She's my neighbor and dear friend.

Here's what we have. This is a teeny tiny daylily.The foliage is barely a foot tall...looks more like lirope than daylily foliage. She dug this up at a friend's house and since it was there when her friend bought the place,we have no name. It spreads well and is as cute as a little bug!

Help her out and get her started at DG with a friendly reception.She's kinda new to computers,but I think DG will get her hooked and she'll have to jump in with both feet.

Thumbnail by ky_hummingbird
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettie
Rocky Point, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2002
2:55 PM

Post #344438

Welcome to DG ky-hummingbird. I'm relatively new to DG myself, having joined in July. But I'm already hooked and have gotten some terrific gardening ideas from members. I'm sorry I can't identify that gorgeous pink daylily, but I hope someone can because I would like to find a couple of fans for myself.
naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2002
11:07 PM

Post #349765

Can't help with an id, but I do love that pink! Very beautiful! And unusual. Any chance she has a spare or two to trade?
Honeybee
Saucier, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2002
11:33 PM

Post #349792

Are you sure that is a Daylily??
Looks like a Rain Lily.

Honeybee

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2002
11:56 PM

Post #349815

ky_hummingbird's computer is on the fritz and she's anxious to join all of us.Hopefully,she'll get things working soon.

Yes,this is a day lily.No doubt about it.It has been blooming off and on all summer and the foliage remains green.It's a tiny little thing as far as daylilies go...her Stellas look like giants beside it.

Hopefully when she gets all fixed up ,ya'll can work out some kind of trade. She loves lilies.
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2002
12:48 PM

Post #350315

I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a daylily... Neither the stamen nor the anthers look like a daylily's. I don't know what it is though.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2002
2:20 PM

Post #350371

Hmmmm...never thought about that Inda.I was going by the foliage,and I'm more tuned into the veggie side of DG,so this bit of information was something that I wasn't aware of. Flowers are new territory for me.

I always thought that Rain Lilies had the foilage die back and the flowers appeared on stalks after a rain in the summer.At least that's what they call them around here. Area differences make for confusion sometimes.

What's your opinion? Where should we search? Should we post this in Identification too?
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2002
2:46 PM

Post #350396

Mel look at this and see if its the same. http://plantsdatabase.com/go/399/
PlanterRik
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2002
8:30 PM

Post #350633

There are zillions of different rain lilies. So, even if the pics in the PDF are not identical, that could still be what it is.

When I first saw the flower, I though "Windor," but then I read the description and rain lily immediately came to mind, though a mini-daylily is a very nice idea.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2002
11:35 PM

Post #350767

I think we had those growing around our house in Savannah. I was quite young so didn't pay much attention to them except to pick them and smell them. We had the white; this pink is really nice..
ky-Hummingbird: Wecome to Dave's Garden. There are some very knowledgeable people here and lots of folks who specialize in an area like the Brugmansia nuts and the passion flower nuts. There are also some just plain nuts; I think they have sniffed one too many plants. My specialty is shade plants or at least trying to find things that like shade. You will have a lot of fun here and learn a lot and meet a lot of great friends. Don't forget to keep checking out the Plants Database.
PlanterRik
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2002
6:17 AM

Post #352451

Oops, not 'Windor' ... I meant 'Windsor Castle.'

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2002
12:55 PM

Post #352569

Thanks everyone,when I checked the hyperlink,I'm sure it's a rain lily too. I didn't realize there was a whole other group of lilies,but it's pretty obvious from the pictures that a Rain Lily is what we have.

Chalk another victory up for the DG Bunch! It seems that you can always find the answer here!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2002
9:43 PM

Post #353186

Mel, somewhere around here I have some links that might help you and your friend narrow down the playing field a bit (I agree it's a Habranthus or Zephyranthes...now to figure out which one.)

If she'll take some measurements of the diameter of the flower, scape height, and petal width, we can probably figure out which one it is. Or at least get it down to a few that it might be...as soon as I find those links I'll post them.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2002
11:09 PM

Post #353280

Thanks Terry!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2002
5:15 PM

Post #354057

Okay, here are the links to check for photos and descriptons. I'm also going to move this thread to the ID forum for better exposure (now that we've established what it isn't ;0)

Bulb Society - lots of photos, but not much else: http://www.bulbsociety.com/ However, you might be able to email them for assistance.

Yucca Do Nursery: http://www.yuccado.com/ Has good, detailed descriptions and photos.

Odyssey Bulbs: http://www.odysseybulbs.com/stenomessontoz.html has good descriptions of many species.

Bulbmeister: http://www.bulbmeister.com/ - ya'll may have good luck emailing a photo of your plant, along with a detailed description to the folks here. They were very friendly when I corresponded with them about their inclusion in the Garden Watchdog, and from the looks of things, they know their rain lilies.

Paul Christian Rare Plants also has a good gallery, but I think they lean more toward the newly-discovered/ultra-rare plants. I suspect this one is going to be a bit more common.

(My hunch is rosea or grandiflora, but I'm not placing any bets just yet...however, once I see the specifics, I'll be glad to compare it to my "Bulbs for the South" by Thad Howard - now there's somebody who definitely knows his rain lilies!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America