Tropicals: Germinating Passiflora edulis seeds

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I bought this at the grocery store tonight. What kind of PF do you suppose it is? Is it a maypop ... p.incarnata? The skin is leathery. Is this how they're supposed to be? I never let mine get that ripe last year ... but I wasn't planning on eating them either.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

man, I thought you were going to talk about the good time you had shopping!! LOL!!! I have no clue about the fruit, I've never seen a maypop look like that, but it might.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It's p. Edulus. Here's a link.http://pas.byu.edu/AgHrt100/passion.htm

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Ooo Cool!! I don't have this one =) I paid $2 for this little thang.

Poppysue, I think I read somewhere to soak the seeds in orange juice, lime/lemon juice or passionfruit juice for 3 days, rinse and sow. They have some kind of dormancy that has to be broken.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll do that Calla. I don't think I'd want to eat this ... it looks sorta nasty to me! I was looking for taro roots but they didn't have any at this store. What's a Lycee nut? They looked like big red berries - kinda squishy.

They are supposed to be delicious. Dave and Tim were talking about them in chat.
Added linkhttp://www.rbgkew.org.uk/ksheets/lychee.html

This message was edited Monday, Sep 2nd 10:38 PM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Very interesting! I guess I don't have room to grow one of those in my living room! Thanks Calla.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Sue, the passion fruit taste very nice in flavor. cut the fruit in half and scoop all the contents out. nice sauce with ice cream. Lycee is nice too, if ripe it is very sweet. but i would recommend u try the ones in the can 1st before u try the fresh fruit. i like the fresh fruit better. i do not know how to describe the flavor for u cause in Asia we do have lots of fruits that is totally different than the ones locally available in the US.

if u have a chance, do get the big taro, weighing over a lb. that is the taro i planted and posted before. they are nice and much bigger than the small taros.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

poppysue, that bit about soaking them in orange juice, lemon/lime juice is to break the dormancy, but it is my understanding that if the seeds remain in the fruit with the pulp it is the same thing (the orange juice soaking mimicks the natural occurance of the seed with the pulp around it) I had a guy send me seeds for passion vines, and he snet them to me in a baggie with the pulp still on the seed, at the time I thought they had burst open and molded or something, but every single one of those seeds germinated in just a matter of days.

good luck to you.

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

poppysue, I have p. edulus, would you like me to try to root a piece for you. The fruit on Morifolia is different, has a dark purple skin but is soft not leathery. Hadn't had the nerve to try them though.

I have some Edulus rooted. I hadn't thought of offering her some. Know what? The seedlings she gets will cross pollinate with the ones I have from cuttings, so I could trade her a rooted cutting for a seedling.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll give the seeds a try. Edulis needs a pollen doner to make fruit? Will it cross woth other types? Calla have you tried hybridizing any of your PF? I only have a few different types blooming but I've been trying to cross them with each other. Of course I don't know what I'm doing... just playing around. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh yah... - I have Tim's incarnata x edulis seedlings too. I'm sure it would be compatable with your edulis. The flower is like the incarnata except it's a paler lavender. I'll try root some just in case the seeds don't germinate.

I've got pods on Morifolia and the foetida. I have another foetida hirsuta that has to be hand pollianted with something else, and it's got a few pods. I have one pod on Belotii, and the ones that I'm just tickled with are the pods on my Amethystianna(thought it was Lavender Lady but according to the PSI its not LL, but A.) which is rare, only about one in every 12 pods will have seeds. I can't get any pods to set on vitifolia, Blue Bouquet, Incense, Purple Haze or sanguiolenta. I forgot to mention, capsularis is loaded with fruit.
Dee, I keep forgetting to tell you, when you root racemosa, don't pinch out the growing tip, it will root but not ever grow.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I personally love Rambutan from Thailand and Laos..tastes great stuffed with bits of Pineapple...similar to Lychee fruit.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I was looking all over for this thread!! Thought it disappeared :) The seeds from this fruit are coming up like gang-busters now. It's been about 3 months or so. A few sprouted earlier but zillions are coming now. Looks like I'll have plenty for sharing.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

wow poppysue, I think you just have the magic touch. I think it's great!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Poppysue,

A year on, I'm interested in how your Passiflora edulis seedlings did? A friend sent a packet of seeds from Hawaii and I'm wondering how to treat them here in Laguna Beach? The package says be sure not to leave in temps below 60 degrees. Well, tonight it's sure lower than that. Should I start them inside? Soak the in lime juice? Wait 'til spring and then over-winter them inside in winter? Are they prone to pests or diseases inside? Any advice appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images