Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

International Trading: A Tempest In A Teapot

Communities > Forums > International Trading
bookmark
Forum: International TradingReplies: 1, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2002
5:30 PM

Post #42854

Late last year the USDA announced that it would start enforcing the requirement that all imported seed---including individual packets from gardeners---would require a phytosanitary certificate.

If you recall, this raised quite a storm from seed traders and collectors, not to mention commercial seed houses who deal internationally. Initially they said theyíd start enforcing in January. This was later changed to July 22.

USDA and APHIS web sites have conflicting information about what will or wonít require a certificate. And seed traders have been up in the air. Are they inspecting? Are they requiring written and/or verbal phytosanitary certificates? Are individual gardeners being affected?

I decided to run a test. Early last week I emailed correspondents in 11 different countries. I told them what I was doing, and asked them to send me a packet of unimportant seeds, and clearly mark on the envelopes what was inside.

Iíve heard back from 8 of them so far, six of whom provided a date for when they mailed the seeds. So far, less than a week from the first mailing, and including the holiday weekend, Iíve received 4 of the 6 that already were mailed. These came from: Germany, England; Ireland; and Brazil.

If any of these envelopes were inspected itís being done a strange way. None of them have been opened and resealed.

In other words, Iím beginning to think this was all a tempest in a teapot, and that if any inspection is taking place itís being done only on commercial shipments with customs declarations.

Iíll keep you up to date on what happens with the rest of the shipments. But for now, my conclusion is, if you want trade with overseas gardeners, donít hesitate. Your seeds should come right through.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2002
12:45 AM

Post #347097

Good on you Brook !
It is good that you have received some already; that is encouraging.
Let's hope that you receive all the one you're expecting to get there.
Keep us informed !

Thanks
cristina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other International Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: Who can I trade seeds with? singleyellowros 23 Feb 11, 2008 3:12 PM
CLOSED: Looking for Japanese Morning glory seeds and Japanese iris gloriag 2 Jun 7, 2008 6:05 PM
Palm seeds for trade gcolbert28303 5 May 5, 2008 12:57 AM
Salvia Seeds for Salvia Seeds:) annette68 6 Oct 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Ipomoea batatas B1ZZYL1ZZY 19 May 18, 2007 9:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America