Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Copper guard against slugs

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2001
6:00 PM

Post #4781

I just this minute saw P. Allen Smith (on weather channel) talk about controlling the slug and snail population from invading the plants. He said that Florida trials showed that when the perennial beds were edged with copper strips sunk into the soil that this method proved very effective. The width of the copper was about 8" deep, length to be determined by the bed of course. He also placed it around individual plants such as hostas, but the depth of the copper was about 4" here. You can also place a band at the bottom of flowering pots and this too deterred the slugs. Apparently copper discharges small amounts of electricity. In order for the copper strips to bend and go round corners, cut into one side of the band all along its length, about one third of the way and approx 3" apart, just as you would do to line a cake tin with greaseproof paper. I hope this makes sense :-) I am definitely going to try this!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2001
12:30 AM

Post #74246

I've heard of this too but haven't tried it. I should give it a shot seeing how I have plenty of slugs to test it out on. The nasty things just love my hostas.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2001
1:23 AM

Post #74261

Poppysue I think hostas are their favourite food - I will start protecting the hostas and see what happens!
nsgardenqueen
Lawrencetown, NS
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2001
6:22 PM

Post #85167

I've just recently read that copper works against slugs too. My problem was more my Painted Daisy as opposed to hostas although one kind gets devoured by slugs. Anyway, I'll have to try it too. I had my painted daisy for two years and it barely got to grow let alone bloom before it was eaten away at. So, someone told me about putting broken egg shells around it as the slugs won't crawl through it either. Well, this definitely worked but I can't accumulate enough egg shells to do anything else.

If others find the copper works, let us all know.

Darlene
oblambert

(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2001
12:18 AM

Post #85294

We have the most intelligent slugs in the world here in West Virginia:) Nothing kills them! They even welcome the challenges put forth by us humans:)
I gave up and now just leave them alone...think they are getting bored and most have moved on to bother my neighbors:)
Ivey
Lyles, TN

June 21, 2001
8:43 PM

Post #85592

Copper should be closely monitored around fish ponds. If it corrodes to black, green, or blue, these are copper compounds that can build up in the water and kill fish, even some plants. Just keep an eye on it.

This message was edited Monday, Jun 25th 12:36 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America