Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Radicchio

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 416
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2002
7:39 AM

Post #42935

This is my first year growing radicchio. Our season is pretty short, so I wasn't sure how it would do here. I was pleased to see it form small heads, and more surprised to find it was not bitter, but rather sweet. Perhaps it is our mild weather up here.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roshana
Jacksonville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2002
2:20 PM

Post #351295

Looks great, Weez! I have been coveting them ever since I heard of them, which was just this year. How early did you plant them and eat it? Do they turn bitter after the hotter weather? They would look so lovely in a salad-very fancy!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2002
6:23 PM

Post #351528

I start almost everything indoors due to our short season, even lettuce. I remember starting the radicchio earlier, more likely when I started the cabbage. I'll check it out and post again here.

I really don't know why it was so mild. I tasted the outer leaves of another head yesterday, and it had the typical bitter taste. I'll check it out when I harvest the next head to see if the inner leaves are bitter or sweet. It never does really get hot here. Mid seventies is about our limit. It got up to 90 one summer day a few years ago & folks were getting weak in the knees around here!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America