-
AuthorContent
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2002
4:01 PM

Post #42965

This is probably a curcuma of some type - any idea of the variety? The leaves are over 3 feet tall and the flower is "hidden".

Update:
Okay, it appears to be Curcuma cordata, but still don't know if it's a particular variety.

This message was edited Wednesday, Sep 4th 12:36 PM

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arsenic

(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2002
4:40 PM

Post #346759

How did you tell it apart from Curcuma alismatifolia and C. xanthorrhiza? Lol; I am no good at gingers:)
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2002
5:38 PM

Post #346806

Hey arsenic, I found a couple of websites with decent photos and figured mine looked more like a cordata than anything else. Mostly because the color is not really deep. Of course I'm only making a guess here, so it may well be something else!
arsenic

(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2002
6:22 PM

Post #346826

Lol! I have no clue at all:) I like gingers; but some of them are really hard to tell apart. Hope you found the correct ID; I wasn't even able to find a decent picture of C. cordata.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #346829

Curcuma alismatifolia ... http://gingers.50megs.com/Curcuma1/index.html
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2002
8:17 PM

Post #346915

Hi Mavie! Thanks for the link. I know it's hard to tell from the photo, but the leaves on my plant are much wider than those of the alismatifolia (they're more like the aurantiaca.) In fact, the foliage is so thick that I had to pull it out of the way to take the picture!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2002
1:57 AM

Post #348181

oh oh..please don't get upset with me...gulp..Cucuma Alismatifolia is also called the "Sian Tulip or the Summer tulip. The blooms tower right above the 2' foliage.

Amaryllisgal, I do believe you have the Curcuma Petiolata. "Hidden Lily" The pink flower is hidden down in the plant. They are blooming here now in zone 9..so that also makes me believe that is what you have. They do all look alike.

Some of the Petiolata's are variegated, some have wider leaves than others. Emperor is more variegated, with a more whiter flower.

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 5th 10:07 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America