Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Help

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 4, Views: 268
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PostmanSeb
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2001
4:26 PM

Post #4811

I have a water garden in my yard. In the last couple of months the water lilies leaves are curving in a bowl shape. I have noticed worms about 1 inch long, yellow, with a black head have invaded the pond, and the water lilies. This is a large pond (cement), and can't be drained! What are these things and how do I get them out of the pond? The pond has gold fish and minows in it. Please E-Mail me at PostmanSeb@aol.com. Thanks for your help.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2001
7:47 PM

Post #74375

After searching around a bit I came up with the water lily beetle or the China mark moth. Both have larvae that can be distructive to water lilies. I couldn't find a of information on either one of them but here are a few links

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/nrsl/entm/progress/00prog/42protectaquatic.html
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Water/wtrprobs.htm#Water%20Lily:%20Aquatic%20Leaf%20Beetle
http://www.tradesecretgardens.com/SimpleWaterGardens/Problems.html

The damage you describe sound more like the water lily beetle to me. You might want to call your county extension service. If there's a problem in your area they might have some good advice for you.

PostmanSeb
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2001
3:27 AM

Post #74456

Thank You Poppysue for the help. These pest have destroyed my water lily's in less than a week.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2001
1:22 PM

Post #75171

PostmanSeb have you found out any more about these? Have you tried mosquito dunks? They're safe for the plants and fish and contain BT which kills the mosquito larvae. Maybe it would work on these larvae too.
PostmanSeb
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2001
9:43 PM

Post #75267

Hey poppysue; I cut off all the leaves that were infested with the China mark moth larvae. I read they only invade the plants a few times a year. I think I have the problem under control now. Our county extension service were no help at all. He never heard of this problem before, in our area. I have had this pond for 10 yrs and never had this problem and hope its another 10 before I have it again. The lilies were blooming so good this year too. Oh well, with all this heat we are having they should come back in no time. Thanks again, Bruce

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America