Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Nikon Coolpix 885 -:- I think I fixed the purple problem!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Atleast a lot of it! Woo-hoo! In the "White balance" menu, I used "White balance preset", zoomed in on a bloom then hit "measure", then took a pic! It's not quite as deep, gorgeous purple as the real, but it's close enough that I'm happy! Woo-hoo-hoo!

Thumbnail by Wingnut
Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Kimberley, is this what you were talking about by "spot metering" then composing the shot again? Well, it worked! :)!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hooray! The white balance is what I first suspected -- looks like that took care of it! You'll notice as you flip through the different pre-set white balance settings that the colors in your picture will change

My camera, for instance, has 4 pre-set modes and an automatic mode: Sunny, Cloudy, TUngsten (regular light bulbs inside) and Flourescent. You'll get to know what works best for your camera in different light situations.

Sometimes images leaning heavily toward the blue hues are the result of the camera being on an inappropriate white balance setting when shooting outside.

You just have to fiddle -- just like ya did! That's the beauty of digital photography; you can tweak and learn with nothing lost but your time, instantly correcting your errors and going on.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, isn't that great? I love being able to see what I did wrong right away so I can go try something else. Awesome! Thanks, GW!!!!!

(Zone 6a)

I raised a vine of that same morning glory this summer for the first time. Grew like a weed and those deep purple flowers were beautiful! Think I will try the sky blue ones next year....look prettier from a distance. Or maybe a mixture of several different colors intertwining....that would make a nice pic:)

Owen

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

So, Owen, you know the deep purple I'm talking about ~ isn't it just a gorgeous color?! Yes, a mix of colors would look beautiful in a pic together! Then again, one of the most gorgeous stands of morning glories I've ever seen were just plain Heavenly Blue all alone. They covered an 8'tall, 8' wide porch arbor I drove by one day. Brakes squealed, gears groaned and I sped back up to get a better look. It was close to the house and I didn't have much time or I'd have seeds of those! LOLOL!

(Zone 6a)

LOL. Some kind and generous person in here sent me these seeds last spring. I have a few of each left.

Owen

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

That's enough to get a nice patch started. As I'm sure you know, just three or four vines sure do cover quite a bit. Mine come up volunteer every year and I just transplant them to wherever I want them. In the beginning, I planted a mix a few years ago and these are the only ones still growing.

(Zone 6a)

I planted a mix this year, and the purple one crowded out all the others:) Of course I had them planted only a couple of inches apart.....will give them a lot more space next time:)

See.....we have another forum subject in here now:)

Owen

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, they do go a looooong way. :)

I don't mind the thread hijacking (CAN you even hijack your own thread? LOLOL!).

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Just found this thread Wingnut. Thanks soooo much - will give it a try. I'm really looking forward to photographing something purple now.
:)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Phil! I forgot that you said you have one, too! I should have e-mailed you to tell you. I'm sorry! But I'm glad you found this. Let us know how it turns out, will ya'?!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've been very busy and have hardly been on DG the last week. Mark's visiting and we have been away to a bat conference at the weekend, and whizzing around to nurseries and gardens etc. So i wouldn't have used the info before anyway, thanks Linda. But as you'll see from my other post, thanking Mark for getting the downloading sorted out for me, my digital photography's going to be so much more enjoyable in future, so this technique has come at the perfect time to add to that!
:-D

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool! Yeah, I've been pretty busy, too ~ still have that nice e-mail from you sitting right next to one from Weez in my Inbox that I need to reply to. ;) Looking forward to seeing some of your purple pictures! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.