Photo by Melody

Cameras and Photography: Nikon Coolpix 885 -:- I think I fixed the purple problem!

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 13, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2002
10:02 PM

Post #43147

Atleast a lot of it! Woo-hoo! In the "White balance" menu, I used "White balance preset", zoomed in on a bloom then hit "measure", then took a pic! It's not quite as deep, gorgeous purple as the real, but it's close enough that I'm happy! Woo-hoo-hoo!

Thumbnail by Wingnut
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2002
10:05 PM

Post #347910

Kimberley, is this what you were talking about by "spot metering" then composing the shot again? Well, it worked! :)!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2002
10:29 PM

Post #347919

Hooray! The white balance is what I first suspected -- looks like that took care of it! You'll notice as you flip through the different pre-set white balance settings that the colors in your picture will change

My camera, for instance, has 4 pre-set modes and an automatic mode: Sunny, Cloudy, TUngsten (regular light bulbs inside) and Flourescent. You'll get to know what works best for your camera in different light situations.

Sometimes images leaning heavily toward the blue hues are the result of the camera being on an inappropriate white balance setting when shooting outside.

You just have to fiddle -- just like ya did! That's the beauty of digital photography; you can tweak and learn with nothing lost but your time, instantly correcting your errors and going on.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2002
10:56 PM

Post #347942

Yeah, isn't that great? I love being able to see what I did wrong right away so I can go try something else. Awesome! Thanks, GW!!!!!
oblambert

(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2002
11:16 PM

Post #347970

I raised a vine of that same morning glory this summer for the first time. Grew like a weed and those deep purple flowers were beautiful! Think I will try the sky blue ones next year...look prettier from a distance. Or maybe a mixture of several different colors intertwining...that would make a nice pic:)

Owen
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2002
11:55 PM

Post #348018

So, Owen, you know the deep purple I'm talking about ~ isn't it just a gorgeous color?! Yes, a mix of colors would look beautiful in a pic together! Then again, one of the most gorgeous stands of morning glories I've ever seen were just plain Heavenly Blue all alone. They covered an 8'tall, 8' wide porch arbor I drove by one day. Brakes squealed, gears groaned and I sped back up to get a better look. It was close to the house and I didn't have much time or I'd have seeds of those! LOLOL!
oblambert

(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2002
12:23 AM

Post #348050

LOL. Some kind and generous person in here sent me these seeds last spring. I have a few of each left.

Owen
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2002
12:43 AM

Post #348077

That's enough to get a nice patch started. As I'm sure you know, just three or four vines sure do cover quite a bit. Mine come up volunteer every year and I just transplant them to wherever I want them. In the beginning, I planted a mix a few years ago and these are the only ones still growing.
oblambert

(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2002
1:13 AM

Post #348119

I planted a mix this year, and the purple one crowded out all the others:) Of course I had them planted only a couple of inches apart...will give them a lot more space next time:)

See...we have another forum subject in here now:)

Owen
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2002
1:26 AM

Post #348135

Yeah, they do go a looooong way. :)

I don't mind the thread hijacking (CAN you even hijack your own thread? LOLOL!).
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2002
10:44 PM

Post #351797

Just found this thread Wingnut. Thanks soooo much - will give it a try. I'm really looking forward to photographing something purple now.
:)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2002
10:52 PM

Post #351804

Oh, Phil! I forgot that you said you have one, too! I should have e-mailed you to tell you. I'm sorry! But I'm glad you found this. Let us know how it turns out, will ya'?!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2002
11:13 PM

Post #351825

I've been very busy and have hardly been on DG the last week. Mark's visiting and we have been away to a bat conference at the weekend, and whizzing around to nurseries and gardens etc. So i wouldn't have used the info before anyway, thanks Linda. But as you'll see from my other post, thanking Mark for getting the downloading sorted out for me, my digital photography's going to be so much more enjoyable in future, so this technique has come at the perfect time to add to that!
:-D
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2002
11:43 PM

Post #351842

Cool! Yeah, I've been pretty busy, too ~ still have that nice e-mail from you sitting right next to one from Weez in my Inbox that I need to reply to. ;) Looking forward to seeing some of your purple pictures! LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America