Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Size of bell peppers

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2002
12:11 AM

Post #43306

I ordered some special seed and didn't get to start them until May 30th. Now in a 22 inch pot, very healthy and many peppers but don't seem to be getting larger than 1 /34 inches across. Peppers in garden now only producing small ones. Is it the shorter days thats doing it? Pleanty warm, 87 degrees F.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2002
12:37 AM

Post #349019

Are they getting plenty of water? Peppers in containers tend to need more water than those grown in the garden. Also,what are you feeding the plants? If it has too much nitrogen,then you will get leaves and very little fruit.

The bells I planted this year were nursery starts and they did rather poorly.I blame it on high temps.Bells have trouble setting fruit above 90 degrees..that may be a reason for the stunted ones.

Really,I can't help much,but I can sympathise...I'm good at that.

You may try more water,plant food formulated for tomatoes and peppers(they do make one) and hopefully when the temps moderate,you'll get a second flush.If the peppers you have now don't seem to be growing,pick them off and see what happens.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2002
11:49 AM

Post #349342

Thanks Melody, I will give it a try. I did get enough big ones earlier in the season to blanch and freeze. Purchased a Pepper stir fry mix in the grocery store (frozen) and liked it, (just peppers and onions) have two good stir fry recipies using this mix. If interested I will post them.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2002
12:47 PM

Post #351225

I think the growing medium in the container is too rich, will cut back next time. Plant is beautiful but peppers small.
roshana
Jacksonville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2002
2:16 PM

Post #351292

Hmmmmm...mine are tiny like that too, Sparks. I just blamed it on not getting them in very early (middle of June) and our inability not to pick them! But maybe the weather did do a number on mine too. Interesting. Rose

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America