-
AuthorContent
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2002
5:35 PM

Post #43539

Does anyone here grow lima beans to eat as baby green shelled beans? How hard are they to get out of the pod at that stage?
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2002
9:00 PM

Post #350651

A lot harder than when they're dried, Mary. But not really hard, just time consuming.

We shuck fresh shelly beans of any kind while watching a video, and, pretty soon, there's a big pile of beans without the task seeming onerous.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2002
3:03 AM

Post #351043

Not hard at all to me. But like Brook says, much funner while either watching a movie or sitting on the porch gabbing w/friends (plus it's very easy to slide a bag and a bowl over to your friends so they help out!
What variety are you growing Mary?
(I do know a nice "secret" to getting them out pretty easy if you'd like to try it sometime.)
"Secret"...sumpin' most everbody knows but a few of ya's don't. Secret. S-E-C-R-E-T
(taken from MarySue DeBone's Dikshunary of True Southern Language.)
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2002
4:18 AM

Post #352387

I just bought a packet of Henderson's Bush for 10 cents and thought I would give them a try next year. If it turns into a hassle I'll just let them mature and dry on the bush and harvest them as dry beans. What's your secret Shoe?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2002
2:31 PM

Post #352655

Lots of folks tend to pick the beans then plunge them in boiling water (semi-blanch?) for a few minutes. Then lay them in the sum to dry for an hr (if that long). The hulls become really easy to open, some will be partially cracked open already. Sure makes it easy!
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2002
2:52 PM

Post #352670

Ah ha! Thanks. I hope I remember that when they are the right size next year. That sounds pretty easy, let the hot water and sun do most of the work.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America