Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: RE: Celosia Argentea This Isn't

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sourdoughpete
Glasgow, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2002
7:44 PM

Post #43686

The group of plants in this photo are the same ones as in the photo from the previous thread, but they are now about seven feet tall, and the dark red "stains" have almost disappeared toward the top. They have gotten so tall that taking a picture that adequately shows the flowers has been very difficult.

The seeds for this came from the same source as seeds which have turned out to be like the true "cockscomb" with flowers that are a fan-like comb. However, from that same source, we received seed for another variety that is all scarlet, including the flower, which has much more the heavy-grained plume appearance of amaranthus. So it's still anyone's guess.

I'm crossing my fingers on the photo I'm including hoping that it will help someone identify this. Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by sourdoughpete
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

September 9, 2002
8:02 PM

Post #351650

I still say it's an Amaranthus
sourdoughpete
Glasgow, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2002
9:39 PM

Post #351734

We think so too, Baa, but still can't find anything like this listed in descriptions or photos of coleus, celosia or amaranthus. Aren't amaranthus and celosia closely related, like one as a pre-evolutionary version of the other? And would that have anything to do with the similarity of leaf-shape and flower appearance?
Baa

September 9, 2002
9:44 PM

Post #351737

Yes they are both in the same family Amarathaceae. I've been trying to find if Celosia and Amaranthus can cross pollinate with each other but so far I've only found that they can cross within their own species only.

It might be that it came from a cultivar of Amaranthus tricolor and has reverted a little back to type which can have whitish green or reddish pink flowers. I'll keep an eye out and if I find something definite I'll certainly report back here
arsenic

(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2002
9:48 PM

Post #351744

Can it be a cross with Celosia spicata or C. 'Flamingo Feather'?
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2002
11:51 PM

Post #353314

I like the first photo a lot better. It was really pretty when it was small even without flowers.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2002
11:06 AM

Post #353846

hard to believe it grew up to be this!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America