Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Can't get the physical size of pic I want

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 9, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2002
12:05 AM

Post #43910

I know how to resize the pics by ppi but have been trying to get a pic with one demension 5 inches, the other proprotional. Haven't even been able to get the five inches. I am using Irfanview
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2002
2:39 PM

Post #353933

Mine worked by opening the pic, click IMAGE, then RESIZE/RESAMPLE. Then where it shows the size in pixels (on the left) there is a choice to resize either in pixels, cm, or inches. Check off INCHES. Then where it shows the width and height (it will still be showing the numbers in pixels there) put 5 in the width box, the height will change automatically. Then click ok. That should do it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2002
4:00 PM

Post #353989

As long as the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box is checkmarked, Irfanview will change the corresponding measurement to match whatever dimension you've entered. You also want to be sure the DPI is set at 300 if you want to print the picture out. The 72dpi is optomized for viewing on computer monitors.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2002
4:22 PM

Post #354020

Thanks both to Horeshoe and Kimberly, I tried and it worked. Horeshoe mine didn't show quite the same thing, are you useing Irfanview?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2002
5:13 PM

Post #354055

yes, I'm using irfanview. Maybe I have a different version than you. Mine is version 3.7
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2002
12:17 AM

Post #354380

My apologies Horseshoe, mine does work the same. There is a pretty solid layer of wood around my brain, it takes awhile for anything to get through, particularly good information. Thanks again, always nice to have some who's feet are solid on the ground help you. :o)
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2002
3:48 PM

Post #354980

Now that I have learned how to size it, it brings up another question, LOL. If I make the picture small enough that 4 pics would fit on an 81/2 inch by 11 inch Photo paper, how do I manage to get four different pictures on the one page? I think it can be done but how?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2002
7:57 PM

Post #355157

Ahah! I remember this very question coming up not long ago. This thread covers it, and even I learned how to do it! http://davesgarden.com/s/318040.html
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2002
8:55 PM

Post #355203

Thanks my good friend Horeshoe, we will have to get together sometime, you don't live too far away. Thanks Kimberly for the inital instuctions, your sure are a great help and a blessing to a lot of us here.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2002
3:32 AM

Post #355643

Well, you're welcome! I am glad to help; it's something I really enjoy doing.

There's other programs that will help you do mutiple copies of pictures on one page, even different pictures. I am not sure about shareware or freeware options, but I know Epson's Film Factory and the Olympus Camedia Master software are two which do this pretty simply and with a lot more ease and flexibility than Irfanview. Let me do some snooping. If I forget, remind me! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America