Were you born a farmer?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I was wondering if you were born a farmer or is just a dream you went after. My family lived in a small town. We didn't have a big slice of land, sugar cane fields all around us. I used to collect animals. I was the only one out of the four that did. I also spent numerous days in paw-paws garden, talking to him and watching him plant. I always knew I would have lots of animals and big gardens. My land is only 3 acres, I yearn for more in a more out of the way place. One day...how 'bout you? What is your story? Bye, Lisa

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

No, not physically that is. Mentally, yes! I spent a lot of time in my grandpa's vegetable garden and yard when I was a little kid. He even gave me a little corner for my own garden. Every time he went to the garden I went too. He taught me a lot and I think he would be proud of my garden. When I was about 9 we got a horse. My sister and I rode him all over, she rode in the saddle and I rode behind it. This was a "hang on and shut up" situation. Later after I got married we had a 20 acre place with a milk cow, chickens, ducks and pigs. We raised calves with the extra milk. I don't want to think of living anywhere but on a farm now although there have been many years when we had to live in town or someplace where we couldn't have animals or even a garden. I grew tomatoes in pots if I couldn't do anything else.

Hamburg/Pinnebog, MI(Zone 6a)

Lisa,
No, I grew up in a 35,000 population suburb of Detroit,Mi
My moms sister and her husband had the farm and I remember climbing the apple trees,jumping out of the loft,
running down the drive to meet my dad and tripping on one of them hand weed wack things and cutting my knee up all over the place,riding on the fender on the tractor after I fell for the stupid place to sit (with your legs around the muffler) chasing roosters out of the garden,Just great stuff (except tossing hay bales)and now here I am doing it to some degree but it just doesn't seem like the way they were.
check me out in the tractor thread!!!

southeast, NE

I have lived on a farm all 45 years of my life (except for 3 years while attending post high school/meeting my new husband/living the apartment life). My husband and I are 4th or 5th generation farmers. My great great grandfather settled in Nebr in the mid 1850's and my dh's great great grandfather settled in Nebr in the 1870's. It's deep in our blood.

Lyndeborough, NH

How about in your blood

Mothers and fathers side of the family American farmers since the 1640's

Raised with cows, pigs and chickens to tend starting about age 7.

1/4 acre for famliy food, 20A of critter food.

Down to 1800 sq ft for 2 people food.

Byron

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I was born in a suburb of Chicago but the family moved to mid MO when I was five. I been on the farm ever since except for brief periods of time.
We live on the farm my DH's family homesteaded just a couple years after the Civil War. Lots of history in this place.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I was born in San Francisco and grew up in the SF Bay Area - population = several million. My dad worked on a sugar cane plantation in HI when he was a boy, but he is definately a city boy by heart. Same with my mom. But I watched a lot of PBS TV and decided early on that I was going to live somewhere with green stuff (I also saw Gone With The Wind at a special theater showing when I was an impressionable teenager - I did sort of notice Scarlet's dresses - but what I really loved was that opening scene that showed all that open space and green stuff - horses, fields, trees...). So I trecked across the US and spent a bit of time in TX where I fell in love with cattle. The smell of them out on the range is totally different than the stock yard smell of them. Then I moved on to GA, where I stayed long enough to watch several sets of dairy calves grow up, and several seasons of feed corn sprout. Lived on a 3/4 acre in a trailer that the Dairy Farmer rented out. Planted tomatoes and bean and black-eyed peas, zucchini, yellow squash and pumpkin. Boiled turnip greens and had the most delicious stir fry... Poverty and the untimely death of my first husband caused my pre-mature return to CA (Thank God for Mama's and Papa's!). So my paycheck doubled, but, if I weren't staying for free at my parents, my rent would have trippled. Go figure. But, I did have the fortune of meeting a young man who had spent time in green fields in TN, however... and we've been married and saving and investing them pennies ever since... growing tomatoes in pots! (MaryE, so glad I'm not the only one!)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sure sounds like we all have a great history, either from our ancestors OR from our own piece(s) of life so far. Not born on a farm but fortunately spent many yrs w/grandparents in the mts of NC...gardening, around a few milkcows, pigs, and Emerson's old horsemule, hmmm, now THAT would be a picture to show! One of my best memories tho only happened this past Friday! DW and just-turned-seven DD came home from school w/a playmate of DD's to visit for awhile. The playmate had been here before and just loved the farmlife. As they were walking down to the shop/greenhouse, thru the chicken pen and the honking geese, the little girl exclaimed, "Wow! When I grow up I'm gonna live on a farm, too!" My daughter matter-of -factly said, without even pausing, "Well, first you hafta marry a man as wonderful as my dad!"...

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

awww!

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Born and raised on the farm and I love the land ....it is just the weather that can try your patience immensely .

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Horeshoe, that was precious. I remember our children's friends coming ot our house and announcing that they only drink cow milk. We had about 6 Jersey, mixed breed milkers at the time and I did all the milking by hand. I use to point to the barn and pasture and ask them if they thought those were Yaks out there I was milking.
We sold eggs and milk products door to door for a year or so. Made good money for those times. Anyway, we had a man who tried to act as tho he was very knowledgeable about chickens, eggs, etc. We sold duck eggs as well as chicken eggs. Some of the chickens were Aracona and laid colored eggs. Mostly blue or blueish green. This man told his wife and I once that they would only buy real eggs in the future. I asked what he meant and he let me know that those funny looking eggs weren't really chicken eggs. I told him that they sure weren't chocolate filled.! His wife knew about Aracona chickens, but he didn't. Being one of those male knowitall types he thought if he didn't know something it wasn't a true fact. I can't stand men like that!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

born on a 80 acre farm with my 2 great sisters! For my 10th birthday i got a dozen baby chickens.henny penny followed me everywhere. =] Ihave always tried to stay in the country, with 5boys i luv the thought of not raising them in a city.
For a short time welived in clawson, michigan-the garages of us n the neighbors were like a foot apart, with a old closed factory in the back of the lot-UGLY! henny penny didnt like it either! We moved back to the farm after 7months. =] I was glad to be raised there!
i dont know if that makes me a farmer-but i am COUNTRY! ;]
dori

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Dori, you're definitely country...ain't no way you could ever get away from it! EvaMae, you have a lot of memories you oughtta write down, or at least continue to share them here w/us. I know what you mean about the know-it-alls...we still sell colored eggs. I've actually had folks complain that I sold them "bad" eggs, referring to the blue and green ones! Oh well...some are country, some are 'lack of country'...

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I grew up on a farm that has been in my family since 1832. My childhood was a combination of "Little House" and "The Waltons" although I was born in the 50's. I went to a one room school house and had no plumbing at home or school for quite a time. Always had electricity though. My Maternal Grandfather (a Danish Immigrant)lived with us until I was 15. My Mother was a city girl. Barely made it out of the kitchen. If she was ever in a pasture with livestock she always carried a big stick. I was lucky to have the best parents in the world, and a wonderful childhood. We were poor but happy. We raised cattle, hogs, and chickens with corn, soybeans, milo and wheat. I loved the farm.
Then I fell in love and got married to a boy from TOWN! Moved to town with this wonderful man. We raised our children in town -- one of my biggest regrets. After the death of my Dad my siblings and I decided to split the farm. A tough decision -- another whole story. My brother now lives on the original home site with his growing family of 5 young children. I got the back of the farm I grew up on --mostly creek bottom and bought the adjoining farm. I told my townboy, I lived in town long enough. Time to get us back to the country. He is adjusting nicely.
I can visit my childhood home by walking down my steep hills to flat creek bottom and then up another hill to my brother's house. I can also see my childhood home from my machine shop area.
Anyhow farming and country life is in my blood. My "new" place is in need of much TLC. It has been neglected for years. I am slowly building up my livestock, and painting buildings. As new Grandparents we hope our new Grandchildren will fall in love with this place and spend lots of time here. Hopefully another generation of Farmers in the making.

Stanton, IA(Zone 4b)

Both of us came from good farming stock. After spending half my life in the Army, we moved back to the farming life. We only garden now to grow and can our own food. All the cousins around here also live on farms. Every spring we take a couple of heifers in for slaughter to fill our freezers, same with the hogs. We eat nothing but yard raised chickens, can't stand those little Tyson Food things they call chickens. Speaking of chickens, had a little Bantam that sat on my shoulder every afternoon outside while I read the paper, she was more of a pet than a chicken. Varmints got her one day. Every year on one of the farms, plant about 10 acres of sweet corn, all the relatives come out, pick, and have a canning/freezing party. Course we eat as many as we can, nothing like a fresh, good tasting roasting ear.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

There is *nothing* as good as sween corn straight from the field... ok, may snow pea nibbling in early spring while getting the rest of the garden spruced up... ok, sun ripe, sun warmed roma tomatoes - always carry a little salt and pepper shaker in the back pocket when passing through the garden... no, I think sweet corn still tops the list...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lordy, ya'll ain't nuthin' but 'down home'! So nice! So very nice! Hey Granny KJO...my best memories and lessons are from being brought up w/my grandparents (hence the pics from photos forum)...you're gonna have a great time as a granny! And it's important work, too!
I'm salivatin'!! Sweet corn, snow peas, oh, and don't forget the sugar snaps Kmom! (and fresh-dug taters!) Mercy!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

I only have a acre and a half, but am a farmer at heart. My Grandpa was an Apple Farmer and I had a toy farm when I was a kid....how can that count? I live on an Island but would love a big farm. I love your stories and being around all you farmers so keep up the great stories and tales of the day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images