Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: A Blue Datura?????

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 6, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2001
8:32 PM

Post #4935

Just picked up a couple of Daturas marked "blue" Never heard of a blue datura. I was assured that it was blue not lavender or lilac. Any thoughts anyone? I also picked up a couple that are just marked "lilac" But they sure don't look like my Fleur lilacs. The stems are burgundy and the undersides of the leaves start out burgundy and then fade to a dark green - way darker than my other Daturas and Brugs. Anybody seen anything like this?
Liz
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2001
11:35 PM

Post #75081

Hi Liz,
I can't answer your questions but would love to have seeds for that baby when the time comes to trade them. I wonder if you have the dark double I guess you would call it purple dautuas. I have been trying to find some seeds every since last fall. I had one that didn't make it to the seed stage before the winter got it. I loved it and am trying to find it again.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2001
12:18 AM

Post #75089

I've grown a double purple datura that has black (or dark purple) stems. The name of it is at the tip of my tongue ... just can't think of it right now. The flowers were dark purple on the undersides and light lavender on the inside. Very pretty although it didn't put out a lot of flowers for me.
Crimson
Clarksville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2001
1:32 AM

Post #78010

Liz,
If you ever get seeds off the blue Daturas, I'd really love some... please keep me in mind! I love any shade of true blue, I hate that they often mislabel the color purple as blue!
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2001
1:09 AM

Post #78284

J.L.Hudson has seed for the double purple Datura.Address is
Star Rt.2,Box 337
La Honda,Ca.94020
Or wait until fall.I should have plenty to share.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
1:33 AM

Post #80945

Seeds of Distinction in Canada sells seeds of Datura eryngium 'Double Blue', but they look purple to me. If they ARE blue, and if you get them to set any seeds, I'd trade my hound dog for some!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America