Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this plant?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mom2cats
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2001
12:14 AM

Post #4997

I have this HUGE plant overtaking my front garden (it's over 4 feet wide at this point!) and another starting up! I have absolutely no clue as to what it is. At first, when it started growing last year, I thought it might be a stray rhubarb...but none of the stems ever turned color...they stayed green. The leaves on this thing are humongous! Some get to be over 3 feet wide themselves. Please help me identify this as flower or weed! Cuz both are gonna get ripped up real fast (roots and all!) if I am not told otherwise.

Thumbnail by mom2cats
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2001
12:28 AM

Post #75300

It sure looks like rhubarb. On some varieties of rhubarb the stalks stay green.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2001
10:30 AM

Post #75391

That looks like a nice, healthy Great Burdock to me. I'd say you better get it out of there before it produces seeds. You know ... those stick-a-boos that get all over your clothes & hair. Not to mention the pets getting them tangled in their fur. I have a thoughtful cat that goes and collects seeds from the field for me. Burdock has a tremendous tap root so you'll need to dig DEEP! I believe it's a biennial and spreads from seeds so if you don't let him re-seed there shouldn't be any more. The root is used as a medicinal herb if you want to dry it.
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2001
10:41 AM

Post #75393

I'd say burdock

This message was edited Friday, May 18th 6:44 AM
dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2001
8:20 PM

Post #75468

Oh my, so that's where are the "sticky" seeds came from!!! LOL! Will be pulling out a BUNCH! Julie
dave

May 18, 2001
8:29 PM

Post #75470

I've got tons of these in my lower pasture area. They are lots of fun to mow over with the tractor!! They give a very satisfying crunch and produce a very nice thick green mulch for my compost bin.

Dave
mom2cats
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2001
4:48 AM

Post #75550

Ok, I'm convinced folks! Thanks for the info...the plants are getting uprooted tomorrow! I appreciate all the help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America