Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Tomato 'Brandywine' (Lycopersicon lycopersicum)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 10, Views: 383
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2002
11:07 PM

Post #44549

Tomato 'Brandywine'
Lycopersicon lycopersicum
Additional info: (aka Pink Brandywine; Brandywine, Pink)

Not so pretty, but Oh, So Tasty!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/23504/

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2002
3:13 AM

Post #358212

I grew this tomato for the first time this summer. Your picture is perfect, they really do grow big and they do not seem to have any longer of a season than other beefsteak tomatoes. They grow lots of bush. I am debating on raising this guy next summer.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2002
7:10 AM

Post #359504

It looks pretty to me! The only way it would be prettier is cut up in a bowl with a dollop of mayo, some salt, and some pepper! I sure miss fresh tomatoes!
alpha537
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5246043

My, my that's one scruptious looking mater! is this variety a slow grower? I planted 2 in my raised beds this year and only have 1 very large tomato growing on one plant. Are they prolific producers? In contrast, my grape tomatoes have tons of fruit.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5246076

Of all the heirlooms I planted this year, only this one was slow to bloom and slow to set fruit, which means here it will be the last to ripen. Some years they are prolific, some not. Worth it for me even in a year of few fruits.
alpha537
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
9:31 AM

Post #7105748

I love this tomato and your picture. I planted 2 and staked them on 2x2 poles and I also caged them. Rain is unpredictable so how do you keep them from not cracking too much?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7106317

Well, they are never the prettiest tomato even in the best of conditions, just the best-tasting! I have never had any success at growing a pretty one so I have no advice to offer.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7945012

Supposedly you are able to prevent cracking on some fruits and veggies by growing in a grow tunnel which is like an open ended hoop house.
You must provide the water though. I am sure you have seen them in fields that landscape Nurserys use.

http://www.wilsonirr.com/growtunnels.html Use this concept but SMALLER ? hahahahaha

This is supposed to prevent sudden growth spurts that cause cracking when we have hot and rainy weather .
JMO

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7945037

Thanks. I have considered buying some row cover... and now they make some nifty long-fiber rods (fiberglass) to support them. It's all a matter of money.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7945100

yah shure :-P

No $$$

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7945107

Gee... are you The Lone Ranger? LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America