Tomato 'Brandywine' (Lycopersicon lycopersicum)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Not so pretty, but Oh, So Tasty!

Common name: Tomato 'Brandywine'
Family: Solanaceae
Genus: Lycopersicon
Species lycopersicum

Thumbnail by darius
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I grew this tomato for the first time this summer. Your picture is perfect, they really do grow big and they do not seem to have any longer of a season than other beefsteak tomatoes. They grow lots of bush. I am debating on raising this guy next summer.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It looks pretty to me! The only way it would be prettier is cut up in a bowl with a dollop of mayo, some salt, and some pepper! I sure miss fresh tomatoes!

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

My, my that's one scruptious looking mater! is this variety a slow grower? I planted 2 in my raised beds this year and only have 1 very large tomato growing on one plant. Are they prolific producers? In contrast, my grape tomatoes have tons of fruit.

Of all the heirlooms I planted this year, only this one was slow to bloom and slow to set fruit, which means here it will be the last to ripen. Some years they are prolific, some not. Worth it for me even in a year of few fruits.

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

I love this tomato and your picture. I planted 2 and staked them on 2x2 poles and I also caged them. Rain is unpredictable so how do you keep them from not cracking too much?

Well, they are never the prettiest tomato even in the best of conditions, just the best-tasting! I have never had any success at growing a pretty one so I have no advice to offer.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Supposedly you are able to prevent cracking on some fruits and veggies by growing in a grow tunnel which is like an open ended hoop house.
You must provide the water though. I am sure you have seen them in fields that landscape Nurserys use.

http://www.wilsonirr.com/growtunnels.html Use this concept but SMALLER ? hahahahaha

This is supposed to prevent sudden growth spurts that cause cracking when we have hot and rainy weather .
JMO

Thanks. I have considered buying some row cover... and now they make some nifty long-fiber rods (fiberglass) to support them. It's all a matter of money.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

yah shure :-P

No $$$

Gee... are you The Lone Ranger? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.