Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BotanyBob
Thousand Oaks, CA

May 18, 2001
3:37 AM

Post #5006

Anyone have any experience with these plants? Several of us crazy gardeners here in desert of So Cal have been struggling with this swamp plant. I think I have finally succeeded by planting it in a huge pot and setting it in our pond about 3/4 the way submerged and keeping the leaves misted every few days... it is a gorgeous plant with humongous leaves (over 3-4' across when maturing with the potential for 5-6' across) and bizzare red-brown flowers and petioles covered with bizzare bumps and dull spines. Hope this works since most Gunneras eventually die from the lack of humidity here. But burying one up to it's 'neck' makes them rot... wish me luck.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2001
5:08 PM

Post #75447

Removed by member request
AJC

May 18, 2001
10:43 PM

Post #75487

It is a bog plant, and as long as you can keep the roots wet it will do well, it can be put in full sun and light shade, this plant will grow about 8' tall and like you say have leaves 3' across, i have one, keeping it in a pot will keep it under control, but it may topple over in winds, so get a heavy pot to put it in, if you have a problem with green water in your pond, you will find Gunnera a great help, good luck.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2001
10:59 PM

Post #75488

Removed by member request

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America