Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Watering patio pots

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 26, Views: 1,269
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2002
5:12 PM

Post #362132

I am looking for a watering hose that hooks to the kitchen faucet and has a miniture watering wand on the end. I had one about 20 years ago when I had houseplants everwhere but now I can't find one to use for the balcony where there is no faucet. The watering can is just getting to be too much for me so if you know where I could get this type of hose it would sure help! It was lightweight tubing like on a fishtank as I recall and it sure worked great!
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2002
5:47 AM

Post #362838

Zany...this sounds like a greenhouse hose..try a greenhouse supplier...I know what you're talking about..Elaine good luck

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2002
12:36 AM

Post #363597

Hey, Zany... I have one of those around here somewhere, never used. If I can find it, you may have it for postage. My mother got it several years ago, never used it, and gave it to me.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2002
5:24 AM

Post #363876

Darius! That would be wonderful! I looked for them locally but no one has them and on the net they are way out of my budget for now! Let me know if you gind it and I will be happy to send you the postage :~)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2002
12:38 PM

Post #364094

Zany, I think it is in my back room which is scheduled for a thorough housecleaning (and change of use!) in the next week or so.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2002
6:16 PM

Post #371998

Darius, I found one here! The local greenhouse wanted $68.00 for a 40 foot coiled with watering wand and no sink adaptor (sold seperately for $6.97) We took off on a relaxing afternoon drive up the coast and ended up in Brookings Oregon where I found a beter quality coiled hose 50 ft with sprayer and atachments on sale for $26.00 and in Oregon there is no sales tax.

This thing is a lifesaver! It was wearing me out lugging the water to the plants and took over an hour to get those pots watered. With the hose I hook to the sink and am done in 10 minutes!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2002
10:15 PM

Post #372230

Z, Thanks for letting me know! I found the one I have while cleaning the junk closet yesterday, but even though never used, doesn't appear to be of very good quality. I guess I will put it in the Goodwill pile, LOL.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2002
11:55 AM

Post #372715

darius, if it doesn't leak, can I get it from you??

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2002
12:13 PM

Post #372725

tiG... It's never been used... still has the original twist-ties holding the tubing together. I'll take a photo and post it here when I get home from work today.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2002
12:40 PM

Post #372758

cool, thank you
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2002
5:16 PM

Post #373025

Zany
If you have a costco/price club try there. I got one there last year 50' coil, small watering wand and sink adapter for like $20. It worked great in my small greenhouse.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2002
6:44 PM

Post #373086

Jody, I checked Costco but they were out and did not expect to get any in so late in the season. I guess the lesson learned is don't try to buy anything for the garden other than bulbs in the fall! But the one I got is terrific so I am pleased as punch with it! It came with a sprayer that is so powerful I can use it to clean spiderwebs from the eaves and my standard watering wand fits it for the plants.

Todays challange is to find 6 very large saucers to go under the biggest pots so it doesn't runn off through the cracks to the patio below everytime I water them! the trash bags they are sitting in now look pretty tacky!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2002
9:03 PM

Post #373223

tiG, here's the gadget... Send me email with snail mail address if you still want it. How shall I send it? (Priority is barely more than first class, but it's your nickel... and it sure isn't MediaMail, LOL!)

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2002
12:25 PM

Post #380638

oh darius, I would love to have it. you have mail
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 16, 2002
3:27 AM

Post #430331

Zanymuse, I'm also forever lugging water out to the deck. It rained last night. Hooray! If you would kindly tell me the brand of the hose you found, I'd appreciate it. It sounds like a good one. Did they have 100'? I fear 50' won't be long enough. Or was there an adaptor to hook two together? This sounds like a good Christmas present for myself. Thanks, Stella
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2002
6:02 AM

Post #430363

Stella, I just went to see if there was a name on it and it has no marking at all :( But it has a heavy green hose and both a male and female end so that 2 could be hooked together. Mine is 50 ft. and two could be connected easily but they also had a 100 ft one for about 38 dollars. I got it at Fred Meyers in Oregon but come spring they whould show up at costco or garden centers near you. Just make certain that it has an adapter that will fit your faucet (I took the aerator off the faucet with me to be sure) It sure does make life easier!
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 16, 2002
6:14 AM

Post #430367

Sounds like just the ticket. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye out. But now it seems like I NEED this NOW. Probably can't wait for spring. How big around is it? I keep envisioning a "heavy green hose" like my regular garden hose, and I know it can't be that big in diameter. I had already decided I'd take the aerator with me to get the right size, but thanks for the tip. I went looking for just such a thing at one point and didn't measure first. Silly me. This is exciting! Thanks, Stella
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2002
6:19 AM

Post #430368

mine is about half the diameter of my garden hose but the fittings are the standard size so I could actually hook them together. I lucked out and got it at the end of september as a season closeout. This time of year you will only find them left over on the shelves of the high prices nurseries. But look around you might get lucky before spring. Good luck, it will give you a great excuse to spend time at the garden shops and since you are in the southern end of the state you might have better luck than we do up here in the boonies.
Sqwidgetz
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2003
7:52 PM

Post #442295

i found a really cheap one here http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?pth=33,2&Cat=48&prod=1777&sr=1

its 50ft long and right now its on sale

Here's its desciption
Indoor Plant Waterer

Was $15.98 Now$9.98

makes watering faster, easier. Features 50 foot hose with faucet adapters, swivel nozzle, mist attachment, on/off switch on handle. No more messy watering cans to carry or plants to lift to the sink. Perfect for floor and hanging plants. Ideal for filling humidifiers and aquariums, too!

B1777 - Indoor Plant Waterer special price
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2003
7:57 PM

Post #442302

The white one is a lighter weight option. The one I got is like the green coiled one and is sturdier, and you can attach standard watering wand to it if you wish. But however you go it will make life a whole lot easier!
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

April 11, 2003
4:16 PM

Post #508856

Boy am I ever late reading this thread. Believe Lee Valley has those. Actually they have the green coiled one & the other one that darius has.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2003
5:20 PM

Post #508895

broots, They even have them at the grocery store this year!
Safeway had them for 18.00 for a fifty foot green coil :~)
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2003
1:54 AM

Post #509761

Charley's Greenhouse Supplies has those coiled hoses. I have used one for years in my greenhouse. Light weight, with a wand that is brass. It is a 1/4" ID hose, 20 feet. They also have a little larger one 3/8 in 26 or 55ft. lengths. Also now I see Charley's has 3 lenghts in 1/4 15, 20 and 30 ft lenghth. They are really handy. Donna
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2003
11:19 AM

Post #509950

does someone have a link to Charley's? I still need one
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2003
5:06 PM

Post #510103

tiG this time of year they are everywhere! Kmart, Costco, the supermarket and the drugstore all had them this week here! And a lot cheaper than they were a year ago!
SunshineSue
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2003
12:23 PM

Post #586490

Hi Zanymuse...Try Home Depot or Building Box. One of them, I forget which, offers a coiled hose that can be screwed onto your kitchen faucet as you would screw a hose to an outdoor water tap. Put 2 together for a longer reach or whatever you require. Happy hunting!! Great hose for anyone with an apartment balcony! The price was $20.00 Canadian, so less in the U.S.

This message was edited Friday, Jul 18th 8:25 AM
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2003
3:59 PM

Post #586653

Charley's Greenhouse Supplies

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America