Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Perennials with Dandelion-like foliage.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marigold
Birmingham
United Kingdom

May 18, 2001
8:09 PM

Post #5032

Does anybody know of any perennials with Dandelion-like foliage? Last year I sowed mixed hardy perennials, and had 3 young plants that looked like they were going to be Dandelions.One of them was, and has been removed!! The other 2 have developed massive leaves which look like Dandelions, but are too big and are slightly furry.I know time will tell, but does anyone have any ideas?
Marigold.
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2001
9:12 PM

Post #75475

well, some of my baby poppies look kinda like dandelions... maybe that's what they are?
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2001
11:30 PM

Post #75492

I have a variety of evening primrose, where the leaves look very much like dandelions; they are starting to bloom now-(WI)lemon yellow flowers,that you can actually watch unfurl at dusk--hope that you got these>
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2001
12:43 AM

Post #75506

I had a girl friend that pampered a poppy all summer long anticipating the flowers. She'd tell me how big and healthy it was and she couldn't wait. When it finally did bloom ... it turned out to be a monstrous dandelion!.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2001
2:12 AM

Post #75523

Marigold
Some forms of centaurea look a little like dandelions and are common in flower mixes.
Calalily
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2001
5:09 AM

Post #75552

This is interesting. I stopped off at a greenhouse market yesterday and in one of the pots of mixed flowers they had as the main attraction what looked like a great big dandelion. It was not in bloom yet so I was not sure but couldnt believe they would be a dandelion since they did not seem to have many herbs and were not into the wild edible type scene. I bet it was a poppy
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2001
7:16 PM

Post #76355

Thanks for the chuckle, Poppysue.
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

May 22, 2001
7:27 PM

Post #76361

Poppysue, I pampered a plant that came up in the front flower bed the first summer we moved here. The plant kept getting larger and taller and and I knew when it flowered it was going to be a beauty. I was correct. It was the most beautiful thistle anyone has ever seen. Now 10 years later I am still digging thistles from the yard.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America