Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Spider Lily (Lycoris radiata)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 548
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lophophora
Tokyo
Japan

September 23, 2002
5:37 PM

Post #366366

Red Spider Lily, Surprise Lily
Lycoris radiata

In natural habitat in Japan.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2109/

Thumbnail by Lophophora
Click the image for an enlarged view.

philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #395105

I missed your Lycoris photos. Lovely to see them growing this way. They're beautiful.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2002
7:35 PM

Post #395138

Hey, Lo! Nice pic! So these grow wild in Japan? Are they native? Maybe that's where they came from originally, huh? Interesting ~ they must have taken a strange path around the world to end up here.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2002
9:44 PM

Post #395252

Didn't you mean "Hi Lo" Wingnut? ;)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2002
10:17 PM

Post #395282

*Giggle-snort!*
Lophophora
Tokyo
Japan

October 28, 2002
12:36 PM

Post #395609

Fie Phil!!! Do not nag Nut! ;)

(But thanks for the compliment...)

Wingnut - yep, L. radiata's one of the natives here, and one of the last big flower spectaculars before the bleak brown-ness of winter. Can't say what "strange path" they took to the states, but I'll bet my last nickle they didn't fly first class on JAL...
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2002
2:01 PM

Post #395670

Heh-heh... Well, they sure are pretty! I had my first bloom this year and to think they came all the way from Japan ~ interesting world we live in.
CoyoteSpirit
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2002
3:32 PM

Post #395728

Beautiful! Do they like shade? can they take dry? I could use something like that if they do.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2002
3:58 PM

Post #395752

Coyote, if they're like the other "Surprise Lilies" I have, the Oxbloods, they can take deciduous shade (correct me if I'm wrong, Lo). They sprout this time of year, leaves stay out all winter, then go dormant when it gets hot. So if the trees you plant them under are decidous, they should get enough sun.

BTW, welcome to Dave's!! You're gonna' love it here! Lots of neat stuff to play with and good people to visit with. Have you rooted around in the journal area? And the tradetracker, PDB and such are nifty tools!!
CoyoteSpirit
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2002
5:51 PM

Post #395825

Yes wingnut i started my own journal on here...was kinda hard to figure it out at first lol but have the hang of it now :) its a great way to keep track of things.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America