In natural habitat in Japan.

Common name: Spider Lily
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Genus: Lycoris
Species radiata

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2109/

Thumbnail by Lophophora
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I missed your Lycoris photos. Lovely to see them growing this way. They're beautiful.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey, Lo! Nice pic! So these grow wild in Japan? Are they native? Maybe that's where they came from originally, huh? Interesting ~ they must have taken a strange path around the world to end up here.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Didn't you mean "Hi Lo" Wingnut? ;)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

*Giggle-snort!*

Tokyo, Japan

Fie Phil!!! Do not nag Nut! ;)

(But thanks for the compliment...)

Wingnut - yep, L. radiata's one of the natives here, and one of the last big flower spectaculars before the bleak brown-ness of winter. Can't say what "strange path" they took to the states, but I'll bet my last nickle they didn't fly first class on JAL....

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Heh-heh... Well, they sure are pretty! I had my first bloom this year and to think they came all the way from Japan ~ interesting world we live in.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! Do they like shade? can they take dry? I could use something like that if they do.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Coyote, if they're like the other "Surprise Lilies" I have, the Oxbloods, they can take deciduous shade (correct me if I'm wrong, Lo). They sprout this time of year, leaves stay out all winter, then go dormant when it gets hot. So if the trees you plant them under are decidous, they should get enough sun.

BTW, welcome to Dave's!! You're gonna' love it here! Lots of neat stuff to play with and good people to visit with. Have you rooted around in the journal area? And the tradetracker, PDB and such are nifty tools!!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes wingnut i started my own journal on here...was kinda hard to figure it out at first lol but have the hang of it now :) its a great way to keep track of things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images