Trees: Propagating weeping willow

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

I cut some branches from a weeping willow.
They are in a jar of water rooting. Today I have seen roots.
now what do I do?

How long do I let them sit in water?
When do I plant them in soil?
Should I keep them inside over winter?

so many question!! I would like to make this work.
thanks

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

You can plant them now. Just keep them barely moist until the ground is frozen and mulch the area around the baby tree. Willows are one of the easiest plants to propagate. Good luck

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Thank you Ponditis,
I will go ahead and plant them :)

My friend gave me a rooted branch also and I did as Ponditis said it went great. We moved and now I am looking to plant my little (3ft) one again but I am worried about the property...it has a septic etc....Is there any way to plant this and contain it so there isn't any threat to the septic, water lines etc??
Nadine

nvbb76, put it in the front yard if the septic is in the back and back if the septic is in the front. Weeping willows are large trees and I don't think they would take kindly to being contained. I may be wrong though.

I tried sticking a four foot whip of weeping willow in a moist location by my pond two years in a row.Both times they made it through the summer but did not over winter. I did not put them in water to root first, and have now been tol about a hormone that you dip the tip in and then plant.What is the proper way to start a willow whip ,since they are so "easy " to propagate!!!!???????????Any help would be MOST appreciated!

I have had them work the best when the whip is about the thickness of a pencil and not more than 10 inches long. Rooting hormone is usually not necessary with willows but it does help the rooting of them anyway. The piece is buried down to only one or two leaf buds above the surface.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6b)

I saw a wonderful example of living willow fence and would like to root some regular "roadside" willows to start one...would this be the time of year? Thanks! Linda

Willows are among the easiest of plants to root. This is a great time of year to start your fence. I have seen them woven as they grow making a really nice fence. You can even plant them crisscross to each other to make the fence. I would love pictures when you get it going.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ponditis! I will try to post a willow pix of some shutters and railing I did this spring...also, here is a link to some of my misc. May flower pix http://www.summercottagegifts.com/may2.htm Linda

Thumbnail by lscudder

wow, that is really a unique railing and shutters! I love that idea. I may steal it and use it for my home as I have been wanting some new shutters that are different from the cheap metal ones that are on the house and the upstairs master bedroom has an unfinished balcony that needs some sort of railing to make it look finished. I hope you don't mind.

I am starting to buy as many willows as I can find to make different colors and textures so we can make willow furniture. The ideas are endless.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6b)

These pix might show up better: http://www.summercottagegifts.com/shutters.htm
I just collected lots of willow early in the spring from the roadside--public lands next to railroad track. Fortunately, didn't get hit by train. :) People kept stopping to see if I was having car trouble and thought I was slightly nuts.

I have collected a couple of willow varities the same way. Only mine was along the freeway and the cops stopped and asked me what I was doing. giggle. When I told him what I was doing he said that his wife better not hear this one or he would be in TROUBLE for not bringing some cuttings home to her. LOL

Of course I thought I was in REAL trouble when that car pulled in.

Question? is august a good time to take cuttings for willows?
or should i wait till spring?

Does anyone know about propagating birch trees? Is it the same as willows?

Leroy, MI(Zone 5b)

I have started willows by simply planting the branches, and by rooting them in water. Either way, it works. Just keep them moist. Good luck!~

thesimple_life@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/thesimple_life

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

the simple_life- you have a beautiful web site and home. Your gardens and the view are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them.

Barrie, Canada(Zone 5b)

I am interested in the propagatoin of birch trees too. Can they be easily rooted from cuttings?

lilies, I am also interested in that but you might do better to get an answer if you start a new thread with birch tree info wanted in the propagation forum. I will be watching for the answer.

Shipshewana, IN(Zone 5b)

I wanted to get my grandmother a tree for christmas. . perferably a weeping willow. But i dont think it could be planted in winter! I dont want to get her a pine tree. .what should I do. Is there some way I could get her a weeping willow tree? PLEASE HELP ME!
-PreciousWillow-

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Why not order her a tree for spring shipment and give her a gift card with the information on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images