-
AuthorContent
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2002
7:44 AM

Post #369874

This was on the wall above my stove tonight. What is it?

Thumbnail by George
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2002
8:16 AM

Post #369878

looked like a praying manthis. i see those on the brugs plant all the time, eating bugs.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2002
12:41 PM

Post #369970

MaVie is right, over here has several.
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

September 29, 2002
4:50 PM

Post #371926

I may even have a picture of one that I found in Africa, they are good bugs, and should not be destroyed. I buy those for my garden every year. Norma
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2002
4:55 PM

Post #371932

They were on the endangered species list and were protected by law...I suppose they still are. Jo
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2002
7:10 PM

Post #372062

Yes, GREAT bugs! Whenever I have an infestation of some sort of bad bug, I'll go hunting for these and move them near the infestation. It seems to help a lot. And here's a neat story Mom loves to tell ~ when I was almost five, we bought a used trailer house to live in here on the farm. Apparently, the previous occupants had a roach problem and they came with it. Mom instructed us three kids to bring her every praying mantis we could find. Two weeks later and not a roach in sight. To this day, I've never seen a roach in Mom's house! Thank goodness, I can't stand them. *shudder*

These insects are carnivorous, so won't bother your plants at all. I've looked all over the 'net for a pic of the egg case, but only found one that looks even remotely like the ones we have here: http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/dec/papr/mantis.html The one in the pic may have already hatched out ~ it's kind of beat up looking. If you find any of these, it's a simple matter to transfer them to the garden and glue them up in a sheltered spot using just a tiny bit of glue.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2002
9:12 PM

Post #372169

Thanks for all that Wingnut, we don't have them here, but it's fascinating to hear how they can be used.
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2002
5:35 AM

Post #372634

Well I did put him outside the next morning and it flew off. I have plenty of stuff growing so I am sure that it found some to munch on.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2002
5:39 AM

Post #372637

George, i u have some brugs in ur garden, that is where u will find them. i have other plants in the yard, i only see them mostly on the brugmansia plants. they seem to be a permanent resident for them :).
troy
Hanover, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2002
12:53 AM

Post #373410

they are not picky about what they eat eather if they are hungry. a friend of mine had a few in the house one spring and when it got warm out he went to put it out and it started to nibble on his finger befor he could get it out side. i guess it must have been very hungry I have handled many of these but that has never had that happen to me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America