Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Bramble, Wild Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 22, Views: 1,458
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Baa

October 3, 2002
4:14 PM

Post #375723

Bramble, Wild Blackberry
Rubus fruticosus

Ripe drupes with a small cranefly, October 2002

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1982/

Thumbnail by Baa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
4:24 PM

Post #375731

Ooh Baa they look gorgeous. We are thinking of planting cultivated hybrids on our allotment though there are some wildones in the hedgerows. The children love making jam from them.
Baa

October 3, 2002
4:40 PM

Post #375744

Psilo these are the bane of my gardening life. The garden was completely covered in brambles and encroaching on the bedroom windows when we first aquired it. I dug enough roots to dye the whole street's wardrobes with.
arsenic

(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2002
5:06 PM

Post #375769

Mmm; bjørnebær:)
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
7:50 PM

Post #375924

yes I know what you mean. They are a pest on my first allotment too. Just when you think you have got rid of them up they come somewhere else.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
7:56 PM

Post #375928

I'm still fighting mine

I also have some that have evolved from a 'thornless' cultivar I bought (more fool i) They still have the lovely ferny leaves, but they also have astonishingly effective thorns!! Even worse than the wild ones - not sure how that came about :(
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
8:01 PM

Post #375932

are your variety easy to control phil are do they have a tendancy to creep?
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
8:04 PM

Post #375936

They don't creep psilo, they're rampaging round the garden!
After years of gardening without chemicals i am at last admitting defeat and using weedkiller on them (and the nettles and bindweed)
Baa

October 3, 2002
8:45 PM

Post #375972

I admit to being a glyphosate junkie around brambles as well. Normally eveything is hand pulled but they just get so far out of control!
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
8:49 PM

Post #375976

yes I know though I think I have partly beaten mine. When I took over my first plot it was full of couch grass, nettles, bind weed, maidenhair, thistles, dandelions, plantain and brambles. I seem to have most undercontrol though the brambles and couch grass are still a nuisance. Where possible I go around every week with my trowel and dig them/cut them out. I dont always get rid of them but it slows them down and in time it might weaken them. The couch grass I try to smother, but I suspect it can hold its breath for a very long time!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2002
9:08 PM

Post #375996

LOLOL I have some growing through the carpet i put down to do them in
Baa

October 3, 2002
10:49 PM

Post #376083

Unfortunately, it's the front garden that is the worst area for pernicious weeds but because I've planted it up with some tiny wildflowers (most sown and grown by me) I can't use the mulch methods nor mechanical means to remove them.

We also have a bundle of tall, native, perennial grasses including couch grass which causes problems but they have helped to break up the heavy clay soil and been excellent protective mulches over winter for some of the less hardy plants.

I'm currently rethinking the area and will be making a post about it in the next few days.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2002
1:45 AM

Post #376206

I know they're a pest when they're stubbornly persisting where you don't want them, but what a gorgeous photo of luscious fruit. "My" briar patch (several undeveloped acres, about a mile from my house) is being razed for a housing development :( No more berry picking, until I find another spot.
Pala
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2002
4:54 AM

Post #376346

We have them all over the Pacific Northwestern United States too and I go out and pick a few decanters full and make juice; strain it or simply puree it well in the food processor; add a little honey and it gives us a real lift. Some summers we make it like this every day and enjoy it like wine with dinner.
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2002
6:53 AM

Post #376389

me too philomel. I couldnt believe it! :(
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2002
5:17 PM

Post #376710

Wild Blackberries! This thread and pic take me back to my youth in Indiana. Wild blackberries grew all over our 38 acres. They seemed to love the old lumber piles the best.. growing up "through things".

If I remember correctly, they don't pop off the pulp like raspberries, but they were huge and juicy. They made wonderful jelly and cobblers. Blackberries don't seem to grow here, though red raspberries grow wild.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2002
6:06 PM

Post #376762

Oh, i prefer raspberries any day Weez, yummy!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2002
6:12 PM

Post #376782

It seems I always yearn for what I can't have! Truth be known, the blackberries were a real pest for my poor mother who used to dress for combat and pull them out of her flower beds, etc. As a child, though, they were a play-time snack, ammunition for battling siblings, and a challenge to navigate through while wearing shorts and being bare foot. We'd often show up for dinner with purple hands and a diminished appetite!
Lophophora
Tokyo
Japan

October 4, 2002
7:45 PM

Post #376884

Y'all are not gonna believe this, but...

I tried for years to get Blackberries to grow in my last garden (I'm a berry/sugar addict) but they just didn't thrive. No idea why. I envy you all your scourge!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2002
2:10 AM

Post #377176

Lophophora: I think berry bramble is like cats... it has to be THEIR idea! I get wild raspberries growing in my flower beds, along my driveway and embankments, but if I try to start them somewhere, they fail!
Baa

October 6, 2002
10:08 AM

Post #378251

Now we know what to send WZ and Lophophora for Christmas ...

I wonder what international postage would be on 50 bramble roots?
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2002
10:43 AM

Post #378261

Certainly have no trouble supplying them (apart from backache LOL)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2002
5:12 PM

Post #378476

Perhaps you could just direct some of the runners in this direction and they'll find there own way, Baa! I'm sure that all our local Devil's Club originate from a root up in Canada somewhere. I fanticize that I could grap up one end and drive across the border to return the whole lot to them!

Actually, one of our local gardeners has been trying to get blackberries to grow up here, but with limited success.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America