Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Rose Fountain Grass, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum' (Pennisetum setaceum)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 3, Views: 1,000
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2002
12:24 AM

Post #389584

Rose Fountain Grass, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum'
Pennisetum setaceum
Additional info: (Graceful Grasses™ series)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1491/

Thumbnail by dovey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2002
12:42 AM

Post #389596

Love these grasses.. too bad they don't grow here in Alaska! Your pictures really show off the hairy fronds!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2002
1:10 AM

Post #389620

Does the ground ever thaw?
Most these grasses will go dormant in a very cold winter and come to life in the spring. I think you should give it a try.
Of course I was born and raised southern California, so what do I know *L*
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2002
1:28 AM

Post #389641

Well, dovey, I'm a zone3, so I think it's way out of my league, but I'm ready to give anything a try.

Yes, I live in Southcentral Alaska in a little coastal town on the Kenai Peninsula called Seward: http://www.alaskatravel.com/seward/

Our winters are relatively mild compared to some northern areas. It seldom gets down below zero, but it can. The ground freezes by November and thaws again by April or May. However, our soil is very cool and we get a heavy annual rainfall.

I started some blue fescue last spring, since it was zoned for our area, and I grew some quaking grass that was listed as an annual. I know that we can grow some of the ribbon grasses, as well. I'm always willing to try something new, and these grasses are so beautiful!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America